What Will Be The New NHL Gimmick To Bring Back The Fans?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Honestly I think the only thing they could do for the fans (aside from reduced prices, which ain't happening) is Bettman's head on a platter. It would be a peace offering to a PA that hates him and fans that can't stand him.

Bettman being ushered out is about the only thing that would bring me back to watching the game like I used to. I'm sure quite a few feel that way.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Make a deal where this will not happen anytime in the near future or at all. That may make a few fans feel there is a change in their thinking and that they care about the game and its fans again.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Make a deal where this will not happen anytime in the near future or at all. That may make a few fans feel there is a change in their thinking and that they care about the game and its fans again.

I'd also like something like a 20 year CBA. At least make the ****ing thing last a decade.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'd also like something like a 20 year CBA. At least make the ****ing thing last a decade.

I'm thinking we'll see something in the 6 / 7 year area. The good news is that even if it is for only a term that long, 2019 will likely be **** face Bettman's last lockout!

I loathe both sides equally, but I want to see his head roll. Just because.

MJB Devils23*

A serious idea would be giveaways and promotions galore. Maybe more meet and greets with the players.

A non serious idea would be free dates with the ice girls, or in our case the Devils Dancers.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
This wouldn't affect 95 though.

banned-1.jpg

kiwidevil

A new format where only the original 6 teams, plus the Penguins can win the Stanley Cup. All the games between these teams will be played outdoors. The rest of the teams play for the honour of being able to play against these teams.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006

Unban the gentleman who graciously thought of me. Total abuse of power and i refuse to let it stand!

Seriously though, i would like at each blue line "WE ARE SORRY, FANS." with the NHL logo by one and the PA logo by the other.

EDIT: now i know why you banned him! Im kicking your ass at words with friends. :p:

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
What they might do is increase the amount of playoff teams this year from 16 total teams to 18 or 20. I could see them doing something stupid like that. It would also make up for some lost revenue by owners of teams whose clubs would not qualify for the playoffs if they just stuck with the 16 out of 30 teams per year.

I think Bettman needs to step down though. This is a public relations nightmare and someone has to pay the price.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
What they might do is increase the amount of playoff teams this year from 16 total teams to 18 or 20. I could see them doing something stupid like that. It would also make up for some lost revenue by owners of teams whose clubs would not qualify for the playoffs if they just stuck with the 16 out of 30 teams per year.

I think Bettman needs to step down though. This is a public relations nightmare and someone has to pay the price.

NHL playoffs can't work with byes. There will not be any playoff expansion

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I don't think it'll happen either or want it...but I COULD see an adoption of baseball's new one-game playoff, between the #8 and #9 seeds in each conference during the Sunday-Tuesday interlude between the end of the season and the playoffs.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

The first round would have to be a best if 3 played in 4 nights. That would give teams with a bye 5 or 6 nights off, which you do get at some points during the season (though usually early on) so it is not out of the ordinary.

I believe the league had byes in 70's under the 12 team format.

I do think expanded playoffs will be coming (at least for this year to start). I also think expanding to 32 teams will happen after a couple of years. Then you go 8 divisions in 4 conferences top-5 in each conference make it. That would actually make seeding races more interesting as each seed has a reward of the previous seed.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Scratch that.

An actual stabilization of ticket prices, and a normalization to compare to demand and the economy.

Not bloody likely. The owners have figured out they can jack them up indefinitely with no hit to revenue, expect them to continue to rise.

Seconded, but I know it won't happen.

I don't want it to change from the current format. It takes 16 wins.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
That cycle needs to end. Labour stability should be the norm, not what we're all wishing for at Christmas.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
They will get rid of the trapezoid. Everyone will then celebrate and then hours later they will say, "... and goalies can't play the puck anywhere."

I'm sure that will piss off you Devils' fans. :laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
They will get rid of the trapezoid. Everyone will then celebrate and then hours later they will say, "... and goalies can't play the puck anywhere."

They're waiting for Marty retire, we all know this.

But that's when Wedgewood shows up and proves to be almost as good at it. :)

Tedenboozled

Mar 4, 2011
Can you imagine Gary standing on the Ice at the Rock trying to speak.

All you would be able to do is read his lips. GARY S**KS chant would be so loud.:laugh:

Hmm. I might have to watch the draft with my deaf friend, then.

Off-topic, but I laugh every time at the quote in your signature. I can't help but feel that like half a dozen people are carrying it :laugh:

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Bettman being ushered out is about the only thing that would bring me back to watching the game like I used to. I'm sure quite a few feel that way.

I love it, where you go...Cooley?

The issue is we have a guy on the other side in Fehr fanning the flames.

I thought as a law student you should know how to SPOT issues.

It isnt just Bettman, he was ready to negotiate way before the PA and settle this.

You take ADR yet

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Bettman announcing the end of the lockout and the undoing of all the stupid rule changes set after the end of the last lockout, then pulling an R. Budd Dwyer.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Haha don't give them any ideas they might read this!:laugh:

No new gimmicks needed though. I may be underestimating the problem, but if there is some kind of a season I don't think as much damage gets done. If we lose a whole season it's a disaster. TWO lost seasons in less than 10 years? Where is the prestige, and integrity in this league?

I know one thing. I won't be making any special trips to Jersey for games. I'll be up in the Summer when the weather is nice, and I can go to the beaches/boardwalks. I can go to the beach from March to November and it's minutes from where I live, and I can drive 45 minutes to watch the Devils play at the St Pete Times Forums.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
They will fire Bettman so we don't have to see his ugly mug connected with the NHL ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad