What Will Be The New NHL Gimmick To Bring Back The Fans?

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
After the 2004-2005 lockout the NHL introduced the shootout and a few other rules changes. Considering that the fan base is fuming and might want to get back at the owners and players (who think they can bank on the expected 3 plus billion dollars of yearly revenue) by not attending games once the season starts. What changes can we expect in the game once the season starts to bring back the fans?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
There is already damage to the damage, nothing they do will bring fans back in droves this time

All they really can do is give us hockey and to just shut the **** up

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Free booze.

images

First thought.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Really can't see any kind of on-ice rule changes. Really intrigued to see if we'll see some kind of league-wide thing, or if it will be team-by-team like we had last year. Devils gave out jerseys to STHs last time. Even though I'm not the one paying the bill on my family's season tickets, I kinda feel like a jersey won't just make us all get over the whole thing and move on so simply this time.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Realignment is the only 'radical' change they can make but it's not like the PA is even going to let that fly.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Realignment is the only 'radical' change they can make but it's not like the PA is even going to let that fly.

I really think by this point if any portion of a season will be salvaged this year, there won't be any radical changes as the goal is to get an agreement quick and get back on the ice. If the season gets canceled, then things like re-alignment may actually happen and be a result of the talks. I bet that's the key to what kind of changes we do or don't see.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
What does realignment have to do with winning fans back though?

Could help in certain markets, because it would create more 'natural rivals' but even that takes time to cultivate.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What does realignment have to do with winning fans back though?

Could help in certain markets, because it would create more 'natural rivals' but even that takes time to cultivate.

It's just a device to create buzz and interest mostly.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
no way ticket prices will go down, they will go up if anything. probably get of the trapezoid and give us free gamecenter. maybe a thank you fans sign on the ice again. and possibly a few minor rule changes that they think we will care about(blue line will be moved 3 inches further away from the net or something :P )

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
With how often this league locks out...seems hockey it's self in the gimmick at this point.

Sadly, you hit the nail right on the head. How can this league possibly be taken seriously from here on out? Actually, was it even taken serious to begin with?

There is already damage to the damage, nothing they do will bring fans back in droves this time

All they really can do is give us hockey and to just shut the **** up

This is pretty much it. There really isn't anything they can do because most observers can see this lockout for the greed, ego and agenda driven piece of **** that it truly is. There is no way to mask it or make up for it. A huge black eye for the sport no matter where you stand in regards to the labor war. It will basically be up to the fans to decide if or when they will move past all of this.

For me, a shortened season will not save face of any kind. It's been 3 months of no hockey (6 if you count the off season), and I'm used to it to the point where they can take off for as long as they want now. I know a lot of people are missing it, but I'm pretty okay without it tbh. And I would honestly rather see both sides bleed each other dry until there is literally nothing to fight over any longer. Maybe a missed season will finally be the tipping point and revenue will truly suffer by fans / sponsors staying away. Chances are things will eventually return to "normal" but who knows? Maybe we'll see a different response this time. In any event, a shortened season will likely wind up being nothing more than a bandage on a shotgun wound and this road will certainly be traveled down again in a few short years. I understand people need their NHL fix, I get it, but I just don't see where it's worth it. I'm in it at this point just to see how low of a level these guys can actually get to. The only people I truly feel bad for if this season is cancelled are the local businesses and the team / arena employees. They're the ones taking the brunt of this, but I'd imagine they've inflicted so much damage at this point, there is just no way to make up for it now.

Just go back and watch Bettman's presser after the last lockout ended and note all the ******** that was spewed in that half+ hour. "An era of economic stability" we were told. The league could not continue down the path they were on. Okay Gary. Now what? It's not to say he is solely to blame for this mess, but I'm not going to put money on these guys ever getting it right. This league is in really ****ed up shape.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
im realistic. i know that ill come back when play resumes. but what i'd love to see is a league wide boycott of every teams first home game. imagine that. a warning shot over the bow saying- this is your last g.d. chance. dont do this again. butfrom a practicality standpoint, i doubt it would ever happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly I think the only thing they could do for the fans (aside from reduced prices, which ain't happening) is Bettman's head on a platter. It would be a peace offering to a PA that hates him and fans that can't stand him.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Added to this thread should be what will it say on the ice. Thank You Fans ain't gonna cut it.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Don Fehr and Gary Bettman fight a bear ala Will Ferrel in Semi-Pro

Can you imagine Gary standing on the Ice at the Rock trying to speak.

All you would be able to do is read his lips. GARY S**KS chant would be so loud.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->