What went wrong with Dion Phaneuf?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So you are explaining - back to me - what I just laid out in my previous post and yet, miraculously, you still don't understand how it works.

You claimed that Dion Phaneuf received 561 votes - a mathematical impossibility - and yet a paragraph after you discuss the point system, you again are claiming that he received 561 votes?

Are you serious with this?

You actually included a link that *clearly* illustrates how many votes he got. It's also pretty simple math to take the vote they have shown you and the point system and figure out how they got to 561 yet you are still here pretending that Phaneuf got 561 Norris votes?

This is ridiculous.

Votes is the term used by Hockey Reference. If you want to call it something else then feel free to, but that's solely your own problem and does not interest me. Rather it seems to me that you are trying nonsensical semantics after all your arguments failed. The fact is that Phaneuf was a consensus top 5 pick by the PHWA voters.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He was a $4-5mil dman that got paid $7mil accidentally.

There's no way as a UFA he would have gotten 4-5 million. I hear this a lot and it's just not true. His stats were too good to only get that. That's Karl Alzner money.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Sometimes development trajectories aren't as steady and predictable as people would like them to be. Human potential isn't a computer program that runs the way it is designed to be(for the most part).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He would probably remembered as one of the all time greats if he started his career 10 years earlier.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Phaneuf had hip surgery after the Flames lost to the Blackhawks in 09, and lost all of his explosiveness.

He tries to play like he's Chris Pronger, but Pronger is light years smarter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nothing really went wrong. He's had a very nice career so far.

He adapted his game in Toronto. He went from offensive defenseman who goes for big hits, to a two-way defenseman who still got caught on big hits from time to time, but played a more responsible game.

In Ottawa, he had a solid year last season against the top lines and not being the focal point. This season, everything turned to **** in Ottawa so it's hard to blame him. His skating has regressed, though.

Seems like a good fit for LA.

He came into the league and lit it up early with his big shot from the point and his monstrous hits. Then, he got paid big money, but his play didn't evolve and the opposition figured out how to play against him more effectively.

Thus, everyone looks at his contract or his past and expects more than what he is.

For any player, you have to take Samuel Jackson's line from the Captain America Winter Soldier movie:
"SHIELD takes the world as it is, not how we like it to be"

Can't keep expecting Dion to be that rookie or sophomore Dman who burst onto the scene. He's not that guy anymore, not for a while.

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Ok? My post was in regard to yours making it seem like because he played in Toronto he lost skill or became a worse player, which is completely wrong.
No I mean it as cause he played in Toronto, media made him looks like lazy player what was completly not true.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He came into the league as an offensive defenceman when offense was booming. The league adapted, therefore so did Dion Phaneuf and the results were he wasn’t as effective but still a respectable defenceman.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
He was a great player, still is.
*But the moron sutter in Calgary traded him for nothing.
phaneuf was not allowed to play his style, nothing wrong with big hits, except his coaches were idiots... like telling pavel bure to play defense.

phaneuf was a throwback, his idol was scott stevens..... but neither of them are allowed in todays NHL

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Just hoping he can be a solid 4-5 in LA.

Seems like a decent human being who has matured over the years.

And he will be. As a Sens fan, like most I was a massive Dion hater for years, but he turned virtually all of us around. Strong work ethic, good team guy and seemed to have reined in some of the bad decision-making he had been known for. Mobility is his main weakness, but is solid otherwise. Still a bugger to play against.He is a quality guy and will help your team. 4-5 is where he should be with occasional rises if needed.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad