What we had. Jason Spezza.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Spezza is gone. He didn't want to resign, so we traded him. It is time to move on.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One of the greatest players I have ever seen. Unfortunately he was wasted here with guys like michalek and greening.
Look out for a monster 2016 year from him if healthy.

I also like Paul, gagne/chlapik and even chiasson.
Not a bad trade given the situation management/ownership put us in.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I guess NTC's can be a *****. It is crazy how little Dallas got Spezza for. They got a (second) 1st line C without even having to give up a first round pick. I am not complaining about the return, Ottawa had to take what was available, but it is just a great pick up by Dallas.

Then Spezza went and signed an extremely friendly contract with them, only four years in length when he could have easily commanded longer.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
You know who outscored Spezza last year? Turris. I'd much rather have Turris on that top line than Spezza. He's defensively responsible and he's on an upswing. Spezza is a great player for pure offence, but when he's shut down he looks invisible (or worse, he leads to odd-man rushes against).

I'm more than happy to have him playing elsewhere. He was unreal up until about 2008 or 2009, but those days are past.

Addition by subtraction.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Spezza is gone. He didn't want to resign, so we traded him. It is time to move on.

This. One of my all-time favourite Sens, one of the most talented players we've seen, but not without his weaknesses. I miss him, but I'm a Sens fan not a Spezza fan. No point in rehashing this again and again.

Xamar*

Even at his best sens fans didn't appreciate him so I'm not surprised he's still getting piled on after leaving more than a year ago. SMH

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Even at his best sens fans didn't appreciate him so I'm not surprised he's still getting piled on after leaving more than a year ago. SMH

Ah yes, the classic "false outrage of defamation"....

Not one person in this thread thus far has "piled on" Spezza.

I'm looking forward to the Ales Hemsky, Christoph Schubert and Oleg Saprykin threads in the "What we had." series. Should be enlightening.

Xamar*

Ah yes, the classic "false outrage of defamation"....

Not one person in this thread thus far has "piled on" Spezza.

I'm looking forward to the Ales Hemsky, Christoph Schubert and Oleg Saprykin threads in the "What we had." series. Should be enlightening.

It only took one post on this thread..

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
These NTC/NMC put too much control in the players hands. Even the limited ones are easy for a player to work around by looking at cap space and those who don't need certain types of players.

The teams put up with a lot of bad play as the player hones his craft then he holds out for a top dollar contract but also demands a NMC tying up the team but not himself. He can demand a trade which he usually gets or he could become a distraction and then dictates which team he is willing to go to. He basically gets to choose where he wants to go and gets his wish. The team has to take a lot less than the value of the player they've invested so much time, resources and money into.

I wish they would do away with them in the next CBA.

In Spezza's case they could have waited until the trade deadline in the following year of the trade but there is no guarantee the offers would have been better or come from suitors that Spezza didn't have on his NM list.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
One of the many reasons I don't get along with my "fellow fans". Guy was our number 1C someone to be proud of. When someone shouted Thorton, Getzlaf, or Malkin we could have said Spezza, instead we joined in on his shaming. He was a big part of our glory years, but people liked to act like they happened in spite of him.

God I hope he wins his cup.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I loved Spezza and am happy we had him for his best years. It's kind of nice that he left when he did, now we don't have to watch him decline and be **** on even more than he was here.

He didn't want to re-sign here and made it known so Im glad we didn't just let him walk for nothing, that would have been a waste just to keep him one more season. I'd rather have something than nothing and the cap space he opened up plus a couple pieces with potential was enough for me.

At this point in their careers, Turris is probably the better player and Zbad may not be far off so I think we will be fine.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
One of the many reasons I don't get along with my "fellow fans". Guy was our number 1C someone to be proud of. When someone shouted Thorton, Getzlaf, or Malkin we could have said Spezza, instead we joined in on his shaming. He was a big part of our glory years, but people liked to act like they happened in spite of him.

For him to win his cup, he will have to play for another team because he's not winning the cup playing in Dallas. :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

He was the wrong guy to lead our team and it was the only role he would have kept playing here.

Chemistry is huge, and having the wrong leader destroys it. We have moved on to the Karlsson era, we seem to be headed in the right direction, look ahead instead of lingering on the past.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wouldn't want Spezza back on this team for free. Guy utterly failed as the captain of this hockey team and was a terrible on-ice leader. One-dimensional and lazy, incredibly inattentive to the defensive end. Definitely not the type of player you want the younger players looking up to and trying to imitate. Losing him was major addition by subtraction as far as I am concerned.

That 30M contract is going to look pretty ridiculous in a short time. 7.5M is far too much money for a guy who brings nothing to the table but his offensive game, and it's looking more and more like Spezza is a 60 point scorer now, not the potential PPG offensive star he used to be. Mark my words he'll be bought out within two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad