What was your favorite Halo Campaign Mission?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Inspired by the "Unpopular Opinions" thread where everyone is getting all nostalgic...

Talking about this with a buddy a few days ago who didn't play Halo 1 or 2. He said when he was younger his favorite was from Halo 3, The Storm

latest

I think Silent Cartographer is one of the best campaign missions I've ever played, certainly the best mission in Halo. The music, taking the beach, warthog assault, the creepiness of it, the size of the map, duration of the mission, all of it.

What do you all think?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably either Truth and Reconciliation from CE or The Arbiter from 2.

Honorable mention: "Midnight" from Halo 4. Probably the only mission worth a damn in that game.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Loved Halo 4, was such an awesome game.

I remember that my friends and I back in highschool took turns on a random Friday night trying to play the part of Truth and Reconciliation when you first enter the ship on Legendary. You know the part, where four to five invisible elites with swords come one after another. It's one of the hardest parts of any Halo game, but man we sucked during those days (it was a lot of fun though). :laugh:

Halo 3: ODST is personally my favourite game, but in terms of wanting to play one Halo campaign level for the rest of my life, it actually would not be one in any game. It would be that ****in' E3 demo which Bungie decided to not put in the damn game. I love Outskirts and Metropolis, they are my choices for this topic, but man I wanted to play that mission so badly.

Since Halo is a popular franchise, I will list my favourite one from every Halo game.
Reach: Long Night of Solace or New Alexandria (haven't played this game in such a long time)
Halo CE: Assault on the Control Room (The Silent Cartographer is a very close 2nd)
Halo 2: Outskirts & Metropolis combo (High Charity brings back the most memories though)
Halo 3: Tsavo Highway (This game has Crow's Nest and Cortana or the two WORST levels in any Halo game)
Halo 3 ODST: ONI Alpha Site
Halo 4: Midnight

As you can tell, I love Earth based missions.

Last edited:

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
favorite CE mission is Two Betrayals -- the size, the scope, the atmosphere, the urgency, and the difficulty of getting to the last banshee

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Was the "last banshee" the one after the cutscene where the elite is running towards it and if you time everything perfectly and don't miss any shots/grenades you can hop on the banshee and the level becomes 100x easier?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
As a kid (sort of, honestly forgot how old I was when I played it)

Gotta be halo 3s end game for me. The driving and the parts falling off was intense

Halo reach would be nightfall

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As a kid (sort of, honestly forgot how old I was when I played it)

Gotta be halo 3s end game for me. The driving and the parts falling off was intense

Halo reach would be nightfall

I think The Maw did it better. H3's version was weirdly arcadey and almost out of their universe it seemed. It was like some weird bonus level in Sonic The Hedgehog. Totally different color schemes, geometric blocks falling off for no reason...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Last mission in Reach (before the epilogue fight to your death thing).

Reach is an underrated game. Im sad Bungie gave up the franchise, its campaign is far better then 3 or 4.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
The Silent Cartographer is a classic too. I loved driving around that beach. I think Assault on the Control Room is my favorite. Any level in the snow is just that much better.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
The Covenant, from Halo 3. Probably my favorite mission from any other game to, now that I think about it. The cinematics at the start and the build up to the end of the mission is just extremely well done.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think The Maw did it better. H3's version was weirdly arcadey and almost out of their universe it seemed. It was like some weird bonus level in Sonic The Hedgehog. Totally different color schemes, geometric blocks falling off for no reason...

Hey man I'm not saying it was great. I was just a kid or around there :laugh:

I'll have to play through all the games again. But the only one I really loved was reach

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Fair enough. Playing through all the campaign missions is something I'd like to do again. Especially with the MCC where 1&2 are graphically updated.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Fair enough. Playing through all the campaign missions is something I'd like to do again. Especially with the MCC where 1&2 are graphically updated.

1 is the same as the remaster. 2 is great.

Man they should have included reach in that. Perfecto

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'll say The Silent Cartographer and (gasp!) The Library. Yes, I love the level. Just pick up an Assault Rifle and a Shotgun and go to town.

I don't remember Reach very specifically, but I remember loving the campaign, so probably a couple of honorable mentions from that one.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

The graphics aren't the issue. But after playing Halo 5, those games just feel soooooo slooooooow. You get used to it eveentually though.

I really want a full remaster of Halo 3 and Halo Reach. Two best Halo campaigns IMO. Halo upresed on MCC looks fine, but a full remaster would be godly.

Halo Reach is ASS on Xbox One as a backwards compatible title. Unplayable.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Surprised they didn't include Halo Reach with the MCC. It was a fun game. Halo 5 wasn't a bad game but I liked the pacing of the other ones a lot better. I don't need to Spartan punch a bunch of elites to have fun. It seemed a bit too superhero-esque and less like a Halo game.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I'd have to look more in depth for actual missions as it's been years since I've played any of the campaigns (which sucks cause 1-3 are some of my favorite games).

So for now I am going to cheat and say my favorite campaign which is close for me between 1 and 3. Loved 2 as well.

Some of my best Halo memories (non Multiplayer) is pulling all nighters with my friend and playing splitscreen co-op Legendary on the campaign and just enjoy some struggles and hilarity.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Long Night of Solace takes the cake for me. Felt like a real war time mission.

Thought Halo 2 had some splendid missions but also some weaker ones. Halo 3 had The Ark that I really liked.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The last mission in Reach was pretty ****ing sweet, every character got pretty satisfying closure and the "last man standing" act after Pillar of Autumn leaves was beautiful. Really gave you the feeling of helplessness and sacrifice.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I only played Reach's campaign once (hated the multiplayer so much I got rid of the game), I need to play it again. A lot of it seems lost to me and I agree with the poster who said they should've included it in the MCC

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Gonna start with the HM to Silent Cartographer. They made the wise choice to include it in the PC demo and that's what got me hooked. Storming the beach at the start was one hell of a first impression.

And so my favourite mission might be The Covenant because it felt like the next gen successor to that level. It's huge in scope and it's really cool to be fighting alongside the Elites like that.

I agree that Reach on backwards compatibility was unplayable for me as well. It felt very clunky and slow. Maybe it was just the age of the game but I loved Reach multiplayer nonetheless. The Halo franchise is probably the thing I miss most since swapping my XBone for a PS4.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Gonna start with the HM to Silent Cartographer. They made the wise choice to include it in the PC demo and that's what got me hooked. Storming the beach at the start was one hell of a first impression.

And so my favourite mission might be The Covenant because it felt like the next gen successor to that level. It's huge in scope and it's really cool to be fighting alongside the Elites like that.

I agree that Reach on backwards compatibility was unplayable for me as well. It felt very clunky and slow. Maybe it was just the age of the game but I loved Reach multiplayer nonetheless. The Halo franchise is probably the thing I miss most since swapping my XBone for a PS4.

No it felt different. It's definetely better on 360

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad