What trades or UFA signings do you think Stevie has up his sleeve?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson ends up in Seattle.
Yeah, they're $10M under the cap floor. They literally NEED to do something. Sounds like Arizona took all the cap dump deals.

With so many prospects only a year or two away, I don't see Stevie making a big splash. More stop gap D and maybe a forward. I don't care who he signs as long as it's 2 yr or shorter.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
So he's going to resign our big (and not so big) RFAs in Vrana, Bert, Smith, Erne, Hronek and Lindstrom. If we look at our lineup following from that I think Smith, Lindstrom and Veleno make the jump full time...

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Bert - x - Fabbri
Rasmussen - Namestnikov - Erne
Smith - Veleno - x
Then maybe Svech or Pearson as the extra guy with Neilsen. Or both of them instead of him.

Leddy - Hronek
Staal - Stetcher
Lindstrom - Seider
DDK/x

So we have holes at 2C, and guys like Erne and Namestnikov potentially playing up the lineup at forward, and a couple of spots on defense that could be filled. I'd take a look at bringing back LGD, Staal and Merrill because they can provide cheap veteran presence or go out and try to snag Michigan-native Martinez to get a really good player. Tatar also makes sense on a cheap deal to see if we can rehabilitate him as a goal-scorer and then move him as a trade piece (again). The only 2C I want is Danault but I'd only go to 5 years on him. If he wants more term we should look elsewhere, maybe hope Ras or Veleno can make that next step.

I don't think we make any trades prior to the TDL unless Berggren and/or Raymond force their way into the lineup and displace someone (likely Fabbri).

Update: Staal's back. We still might add another D or hope Lindstrom sticks.

Last edited:

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
I do this if it’s the first instead of Raymond. Feels like you probably don’t need to throw Ras in there but whatever. Eichel snd Larks 1-2 down the middle just like on team usa. Team would be set for the future imo. It’s the only missing piece
Eichel is not the missing piece. we have alot of missing pieces. i would not give up a 1st or raymond for Eichel. if you really want him you wait out Buf. if you dont get him oh well.

Reactions: WF19

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I just hope we add an impact(ful) top 6 forward.

We cant score with beans.

We need to "try" to put the puck in the other teams net.

Ryan, gagner and glendening do not count
ive been wondering if yzerman might take on a bad contract , getting a valuable pick or prospect in the deal , of a talented but over paid player thats been weak for a few years but might still rekindle the flame and become a solid top 6 guy here for say 2 years then his contracts ended

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson ends up in Seattle.

Honestly, after seeing that Johnson still had some gas in the tank in the playoffs I would take him to be our 2nd line C/W for a season while Veleno works as our 3C.

Tampa's 1st + Tyler Johnson for Detroit's 3rd and Albin Grewe?

I'd also look at working a trade for Werenski.
Detroit's 1st + Hronek + Wallinder for Werenski.

Find a way to sign David Savard on RD to fill Hronek's hole.

Then we have a defense of

Leddy - Seider
Werenski - Savard
Staal - Stecher
DDK - Lindstrom

That's not stanley cup contender caliber but that is a pretty good overall D. Good puck moving ability and nobody that is an outright liability due to bad decision making. It also has a good bit of physicality to it.

If they're in the playoff hunt then keep Leddy and/or Savard. If not then they are trade bait. If Leddy performs well during his UFA year then he can probably fetch a late 1st to a contender. If not then probably 2 2nds. Savard got Columbus a 1st last year. I can't imagine he'd get less than a 2nd back at the 2022 TDL.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
ive been wondering if yzerman might take on a bad contract , getting a valuable pick or prospect in the deal , of a talented but over paid player thats been weak for a few years but might still rekindle the flame and become a solid top 6 guy here for say 2 years then his contracts ended

Absolutely

I'd just like top them add a creative top 6 forward via free agency or trade including s cap casualty.

Someone not over 32 who can safely be penciled in for 40plus pts and help take the strain off Larkin a bit

Reactions: romanstar

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Absolutely

I'd just like top them add a creative top 6 forward via free agency or trade including s cap casualty.

Someone not over 32 who can safely be penciled in for 40plus pts and help take the strain off Larkin a bit

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but Tyler Johnson can probably be that guy for us. He was playing mostly a 4th line role this year and had 22 points in 55 games with 13:41 ATOI. That's 0.40 ppg. And his contract is done in 2023-24. We won't be hurting for cap space by then. As it stands we might only be in the 62 to 65 million range this season.

I could imagine him getting to the 0.5 or higher with 16+ minutes a night. We also get some veteran Stanley cup winning experience around the young guys as well as a little guy who can teach our other little skill guys like Berggren and Raymond what it takes to make it in the league.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but Tyler Johnson can probably be that guy for us. He was playing mostly a 4th line role this year and had 22 points in 55 games with 13:41 ATOI. That's 0.40 ppg. And his contract is done in 2023-24. We won't be hurting for cap space by then. As it stands we might only be in the 62 to 65 million range this season.

I could imagine him getting to the 0.5 or higher with 16+ minutes a night. We also get some veteran Stanley cup winning experience around the young guys as well as a little guy who can teach our other little skill guys like Berggren and Raymond what it takes to make it in the league.

I'm a big TJ fan(for us).

Think TJ, 2022 1st plus Barre-Broulet for Svechnikov and a 4th could maybe work

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I'm a big TJ fan(for us).

Think TJ, 2022 1st plus Barre-Broulet for Svechnikov and a 4th could maybe work

Any way we can get him here without paying a high price is a plus to our organization. He's got a lot of speed and could help QB our powerplay on the 2nd unit.

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Veleno - Fabbri (Gabagool!)
Erne - Johnson - Berggren
Rasmussen - Glendening - Smith
Pearson

Our forward group really does need some more bite to it. It's too bad we could't draft L'Heureux in the 2nd round.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Any way we can get him here without paying a high price is a plus to our organization. He's got a lot of speed and could help QB our powerplay on the 2nd unit.

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Pearson

Our forward group really does need some more bite to it. It's too bad we could't draft L'Heureux in the 2nd round.

You sold me on the idea.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
He should be all over Tampa, and I’m sure he is

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I just hope we add an impact(ful) top 6 forward.

I was hoping against hope that we would go after Hamilton and Landeskog but the return of Staal makes me think we are tanking for at least one more year, and that means I wouldn't be surprised to see Vrana and/or Bertuzzi dumped at the TDL for firsts.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman do Tampa a solid and take Johnson on a favorable trade, then plug him in as our second line center. But again, any move like that negatively impacts our chances of getting into the lottery.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I was hoping against hope that we would go after Hamilton and Landeskog but the return of Staal makes me think we are tanking for at least one more year, and that means I wouldn't be surprised to see Vrana and/or Bertuzzi dumped at the TDL for firsts.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman do Tampa a solid and take Johnson on a favorable trade, then plug him in as our second line center. But again, any move like that negatively impacts our chances of getting into the lottery.

What previous actions have you seen Yzerman take as a GM that suggests he’d let another team off the hook for less than fair benefit? I get rewarding personal relationships but I sincerely doubt he’ll go easy on Tampa return wise.

If we take Johnson I want a first\Foote + another small add

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Vrana - Larkin - Zadina
Pearson

Zadina should never play with Larkin, they look horrible together. I think before the end of the season that Berggren will replace Zadina on the top 6, but he'll probably start on the 3rd because of the NHL coach rookie rule (only 1 rookie per line, I think it's in the CBA or something, lol).

You forgot Vlad and Pearson has another year of waiver exemption, so the poor kid stays down for one more season. He deserves a look, working hard in GR and even put up some points last season.

I don't think TBL is willing to throw in a first, but TJ + 1st + ABB sounds like the going price if they expect Seattle or Detroit to pick up the tab on TJ. One of the two teams will bite on that. ABB is too slow for their offense anyways, I don't see him as a long term piece for them.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
The free agent list is pretty terrible for our needs (C). It'll have to be a trade to make it anywhere close to valuable.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Zadina should never play with Larkin, they look horrible together. I think before the end of the season that Berggren will replace Zadina on the top 6, but he'll probably start on the 3rd because of the NHL coach rookie rule (only 1 rookie per line, I think it's in the CBA or something, lol).

You forgot Vlad and Pearson has another year of waiver exemption, so the poor kid stays down for one more season. He deserves a look, working hard in GR and even put up some points last season.

I don't think TBL is willing to throw in a first, but TJ + 1st + ABB sounds like the going price if they expect Seattle or Detroit to pick up the tab on TJ. One of the two teams will bite on that. ABB is too slow for their offense anyways, I don't see him as a long term piece for them.

Vlad who?:sarcasm:

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad