What to do with a kid whose heart just isn't in to hockey...

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I would actually go in the other direction. It doesn't sound like he has any real interest in Serious Hockey, practicing relentlessly, or building up skill set.

People become a Kobe Bryant when they become obsessed with something. When a kid is outside at 9pm shooting on an empty rink, that's when you pour on the coaching/inspiration and start thinking about his potential ceiling as a competitive player.

Joe Jr is clearly not obsessed with hockey. At this point it's a question of whether he's enjoying it at all, or just going through the motions (it really sounds like the latter). If he's not particularly interested in the game and he's also not having fun, he's not going to respond very well to coaching.

I don't know, if he is like me as a kid, he could be internalizing his passion and passing it off as not caring.

Difficult kids like me needed the right type of push to spark something.

Either way I'd rather push a little further before I'd back off. Wouldnt want it to be a missed opportunity.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
And that's the thing - I don't know if he does.

Yes, you do know. You just dont want to accept it because of how big hockey is in your life.

He's 8, let him try other sports or hobbies and find himself and discover what he likes to do. Whatever he lands on, support it as much as you would hockey. Do it with him, support him, ask him about it, etc.

Normally I'd be in the "honor your commitment" camp, but it wasn't really his. You pushed him into playing this season. He is clearly miserable and it's time to let him give it up.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yes, you do know. You just dont want to accept it because of how big hockey is in your life.

He's 8, let him try other sports or hobbies and find himself and discover what he likes to do. Whatever he lands on, support it as much as you would hockey. Do it with him, support him, ask him about it, etc.

Normally I'd be in the "honor your commitment" camp, but it wasn't really his. You pushed him into playing this season. He is clearly miserable and it's time to let him give it up.

I would let him give it up in a heartbeat.

He won't let himself give it up. He says he "needs to play hockey". Every weekend I tell him he doesn't need to go if he doesn't want to - he now replies back with "why do you keep bringing this up".

That's the dilemma. Do I take him out of hockey despite what he tells me, or do I keep taking him when from his body language he looks miserable out on the ice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He won't let himself give it up. He says he "needs to play hockey". Every weekend I tell him he doesn't need to go if he doesn't want to - he now replies back with "why do you keep bringing this up".

That's the dilemma. Do I take him out of hockey despite what he tells me, or do I keep taking him when from his body language he looks miserable out on the ice.

You take him out of hockey. If he truly loves it, he will miss it and ask to play again.

Sometimes kids (and adults) don't realize how much they actually enjoy something until it's taken away from them.

It also allows him to see that you are serous about your word to let him quit.

So if he truly doesn't enjoy playing and is doing it out of obligation to you, he will feel a sense of relief.

Either way, taking him out of hockey for awhile would be my response and I'd follow through on it so he knows I'm dead serious.

Reactions: zeeto and JoeCool16

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
If it were my kid, I'd pull him/her out. I sure hope he'd share my passion for the game, but if not, that's fine. At that point I'm just making the both of us miserable. If (s)he likes it, (s)he can always come back to it, the goal of youth sports in my mind is to learn life lessons and have fun while doing so. If their little hearts aren't in it, then not much I would be able to do. Pick a different team sport and I'll support them through that.

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Have you taken any video of him while he is on the ice and shown him what he looks like out there? Not sure if that would help at all, but at least he can see how he looks/plays from an outside perspective? Maybe him seeing his lack of effort or give a f's could spark some change?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

That's the thing--he loves you. He associates hockey with you. You are asking him to choose to stay with hockey or walk away. That's a really difficult thing for a kid that young to process, and he probably can't vocalize it because he almost certainly doesn't have the abstract processing skills to recognize it for what it is. To a 9 year old brain, you are asking "do you want to quit loving dad?" when you ask him about hockey. The solution is to de-center hockey. Work with him to find an activity that he likes that you can do together (outside of the current hockey season), and then, when hockey season comes back around, he has a choice--continue with the new thing, which is about his unique bond with dad, or sign up for hockey again, which is also connected with dad. If he picks hockey, roll with it, cheer him on, regardless of how he looks on the ice. But you won't get a great answer from any 9 year old that, to him, means "I reject dad." You have to create two options with dad involved so that he can reject an activity rather than his pop.

Pablo Messier

Jan 25, 2019
Kid's obviously having a bad time. If he insists on playing the rest of the season, maybe find something to do right after practice or game like grabbing a meal or whatever you enjoy doing together. Make hockey the lesser of the two events.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Like other's have said, the only thing you have to do for the rest of the season is have him honor his commitments. Everything else should be off the table. What I mean by that is other than encouragement, maybe no tips, no corrections. Just let him be.

There's the possibility that he likes everything around the hockey, but not the hockey itself. There's a social aspect to going to the rink and being around other kids/friends. There's also being around you, driving to and from the rink, etc. And if you pull him out of hockey, you deprive him of that. If your Dad is in hockey, and your brothers are in hockey, and you're not, that can leave someone feeling left out and alienated.

Have you or anyone else ever ask him about is apparent disinterest on the ice? Maybe there's something else afoot here. Maybe he doesn't get the game or doesn't get some aspects of it and is afraid/ashamed to admit it. Sometimes it's easier to feign disinterest than to admit a flaw. Maybe get someone not you to ask. He might be more forthcoming.

Otherwise, in the off season, maybe have him take a long break away from hockey. Maybe even as much as possible don't even mention hockey to him. Have him try other things and see if he can find his own way to something else. And maybe not have him play organized hockey next year if he still shows resistance. Because honesty, there's no NHL contract at the end of this road. This is about him enjoying the game enough to play for the rest of his life or not. On this path, skills etc. can be learned and improved upon later.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Wasn't trying to say or imply you were forcing him into it, sorry.

Just that he's 8/9, he sees his dad and brothers be all about hockey. So in his mind the only way he'll be accepted/loved is to be into hockey too. Even though you've never said or implied as much to him. It's how little kids think. He's putting the pressure on himself based on what he sees everyone else doing.

A better way to phrase my point would be to have a talk with him and emphasize that you'll love him and spend time with him no matter what and he doesn't have to play hockey to make you happy or love him. And like other's mentioned find a thing for just you 2 to be about.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay, so kid has a lighter schedule this weekend - just one game.

We're going to skip it. Tell him we're just taking a break for one week, and try to do something fun together otherwise. Then we'll see how it goes for next weekend.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
When I was young I was decent at hockey but I did not have much fun because of coaches and how they decided I was going to play defense

I dropped hockey and went to play badminton but never lost my passion for hockey

I started back playing recreative hockey at 25 years old and im having lots of fun

Hockey is fun if you have a nice group of friend and the social aspect and all the team bonding can be nice but if you are like a black sheep in the group it can suck..

I would just ask him if he'd rather play another sport..and maybe hes just not a sport guy and he would like to have a different activity than the rest of his family.

Passion for sports has to come from within , can be pushed a bit but in the end a decent amount of people are not huge into sports..

Reactions: Cams

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Passion for sports has to come from within , can be pushed a bit but in the end a decent amount of people are not huge into sports..

So, I'm open to other views but I do believe all of my kids should be doing some kind of activity that keeps them physically active. It doesn't have to be a team sport, it doesn't have to be super competitive, but it should be something.

I know as a kid I tried hockey, I tried baseball, I dabbled at football... finally it was track that did it for me - something I enjoyed and was a little bit good at.

So next year I'll talk it over with my youngest kid and look at some options. I said earlier I think he wants to do martial arts, but if he'd rather do curling, or dance, or racket sports is fine by me. Hell he's been skating for 4 years - maybe he'll want to try figure skating (I doubt it though - the rink probably has bad associations for him).

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
My kids played baseball, not hockey but after reading this thread I have a couple observations Joe Jr may like hockey but he doesn't love hockey like you do.

I would suggest instead of repeatedly asking if he wants to play, let him know you are considering not coaching. My kids love me but hated having me coach them (except 1.. she loved it). Even if this is a bluff for you he'll probably let you know where he stands, if he wants to keep playing even if you're not there then it may be he feels insecure about not being the best player on the team when his dad is the coach. This was effective with my children, if I wasn't coaching 2 didn't want to play anymore and the other one ended up loving playing and still plays to this day at 25 years old.

The other thing that concerned me is the child asking if Joe Jr wanted to play at all, if they are asking you you can bet they are asking him constantly and Joe Jr may be feeling like he's not just letting you down but his teammates as well.

Lastly, at this age you will see a lot of bully behavior especially when certain kids are well above their peers in skill level. This could be kids harping on him for messing up something they perceive as an easy play. Kids tend to react without thinking and may not even realize they are hurting his feelings, or they may be straight up bullying

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
My son has always loved playing hockey. Was extremely disappointed in the lockdowns and hockey shutting down for the times it did. Now, he likes other things, he'll play video games with his friends and such and he isn't always the type to suggest we hit the outdoor rink with his siblings but if I suggest it he likes it and loves it when he is there usually playing shinny with some other kids. So in a way my son just needs a bit of a kick in the pants at times, but when he gets it, he's actually pretty good out there and he will watch hockey with me too, so there's that.

He's a big kid and he is a gentle giant out there. If there is a faceoff he is the one kid where you look at the other players and say "Oh wow, that kid is going to dominate!" But he doesn't. That doesn't matter, because he loves to play. Especially goalie.

All I can say is ways I got my son into the game. Maybe take him to some live games? Practice with just him? Use some reverse psychology, for instance, wait very late until the end of the summer to see if he brings it up to you. Unfortunately he may not have that sort of personality, and I get it, we are all hockey fans, but if your kid just doesn't get into it, there may not be a whole lot you can do if he hasn't by now. I do agree that maybe you being the coach could be impacting it a bit. Maybe he has pressure to perform in front of you. Hey, all dads have it subconsciously, we live through our sons, I know for sure that my son will always react a bit more to how my wife reacts when he's playing. In her eyes he can do no wrong and she'll cheer him on all of the time, for me I sometimes get that competitive edge out in me and maybe he sees it? Perhaps maybe your son sees it too? Maybe he has less pressure and more enjoyment if you aren't the coach?

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
A lot of good advice in this thread. I have 3 kids, a 12 year old boy, 9 year old boy, and a 7 year old daughter. My oldest loves hockey. It has always been his favorite sport. He plays other sports but as he is getting older, hockey is becoming more of a passion for him. He has never been in a similar situation.

My 9 year old has been playing since he was 5. He loved it until last year. Last year, he was a struggle to get to the rink. Even on game days, he was tough to get to the rink. He did want to play at the beginning of the year so we told him he had to stick to his commitments throughout the season and we will reevaluate after the season. Through the year, we found realized the problem was he missing the social aspect of hockey due to COVID restrictions. He is the kid that needs to feel part of a team. He needs the bumming around with teammates in between games. The time in the locker room. When we had to sign up for this year, he was unsure if he wanted to play. We knew the COVID restrictions would be less and he was also going into Squirt hockey, which had many more games as part of it. He said he wanted to do it again. Right now, he is absolutely in love with hockey. He is watching it on TV now. He wants to go to see the high school and college teams play. It is a complete 180 for him.

My daughter is a different story. Last year was her first year of blue cross ice U8 hockey. She tried her hardest during drills but was always behind the play just kind of skating around during games. We talked about being aggressive and going for pucks, but it never really stuck with her. She never fought us to go to games or practices. We get to the season this year and we have a 6 week tune-up prior to the season for the kids. She does two of them and where she should be around the middle of the talent level, she was near the bottom. During the drills, she did fine, but again when the games start, she just was out there for a leisurely stroll around the ice. We talked to her about if she really wants to play hockey and finally she tells us that it just isn't super fun for her and she was worried we would be mad. We pull her out of hockey as we hadn't needed to commit to the season yet. She joins swim team instead and is absolutely in love. She still skates on our rink at home and has lots of fun doing it. She might come back to hockey sometime. She might not. I am not too worried either way.

I guess what I am saying is you can't create passion. You can help foster it, but if it isn't there, it isn't there. I also coach so if you want advise from that perspective, have you ever videoed your kid during a game and show the footage later. I have had many kids that I coached that thought they were going at full speed and being aggressive when for anyone watching, it was clear it was not happening. After they saw what they looked like in the video, they would be the one to comment how little they were skating. It is also important to show good things that they did during the game too during this session.

Reactions: beedee

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A lot of good advice in this thread. I have 3 kids, a 12 year old boy, 9 year old boy, and a 7 year old daughter. My oldest loves hockey. It has always been his favorite sport. He plays other sports but as he is getting older, hockey is becoming more of a passion for him. He has never been in a similar situation.

My 9 year old has been playing since he was 5. He loved it until last year. Last year, he was a struggle to get to the rink. Even on game days, he was tough to get to the rink. He did want to play at the beginning of the year so we told him he had to stick to his commitments throughout the season and we will reevaluate after the season. Through the year, we found realized the problem was he missing the social aspect of hockey due to COVID restrictions. He is the kid that needs to feel part of a team. He needs the bumming around with teammates in between games. The time in the locker room. When we had to sign up for this year, he was unsure if he wanted to play. We knew the COVID restrictions would be less and he was also going into Squirt hockey, which had many more games as part of it. He said he wanted to do it again. Right now, he is absolutely in love with hockey. He is watching it on TV now. He wants to go to see the high school and college teams play. It is a complete 180 for him.

My daughter is a different story. Last year was her first year of blue cross ice U8 hockey. She tried her hardest during drills but was always behind the play just kind of skating around during games. We talked about being aggressive and going for pucks, but it never really stuck with her. She never fought us to go to games or practices. We get to the season this year and we have a 6 week tune-up prior to the season for the kids. She does two of them and where she should be around the middle of the talent level, she was near the bottom. During the drills, she did fine, but again when the games start, she just was out there for a leisurely stroll around the ice. We talked to her about if she really wants to play hockey and finally she tells us that it just isn't super fun for her and she was worried we would be mad. We pull her out of hockey as we hadn't needed to commit to the season yet. She joins swim team instead and is absolutely in love. She still skates on our rink at home and has lots of fun doing it. She might come back to hockey sometime. She might not. I am not too worried either way.

I guess what I am saying is you can't create passion. You can help foster it, but if it isn't there, it isn't there. I also coach so if you want advise from that perspective, have you ever videoed your kid during a game and show the footage later. I have had many kids that I coached that thought they were going at full speed and being aggressive when for anyone watching, it was clear it was not happening. After they saw what they looked like in the video, they would be the one to comment how little they were skating. It is also important to show good things that they did during the game too during this session.

Sometimes kids also have that moment like my daughter.

Many days it was a drag to get her on the ice when she was 6-7, but she loved hockey and skating, which may sound weird, but that's how it was.

The issue was she didn't like being told what she was doing wrong with her skating technique and such. Or if I showed her how to do something hockey related and had to correct her when she did it wrong, she would get upset.

She would literally skate over to the glass and put her head agt it on several occasions - I would mumble to myself "why the hell am I out here, this is asinine".

My daughter kept insisting she wanted to play and I told my wife I wasn't going to be that dad who pushed - my wife pleaded with me to tough it out and reminded me she was only 6-7 etc.

I also realized I wasn't making it fun and it was partly my fault - so I started to goof off and make her laugh all the time, when doing drills I would get creative and turn everything into a game.

When I corrected something she did wrong, I also started to go into detail why she had to do it the way I showed her, and told her stories about how I messed up when I learned, etc.

She still had her moments though all through ADM where no mater what I did, she would get upset about stuff if she couldn't get it right quickly. So there were still many moments of frustration and I kept reminding her most of this stuff takes tons of reps to get it down.

One day when we were on the ice when she was around 8, the coach of the 12u girls team noticed us running drills. However, she was being really pouty because one drill I was having her do was challenging.

So when I suggested doing something fun, she got mad and walked off the ice - and of course I'm cursing under my breath thinking "What the hell is her deal man".

I went off the ice and she was getting undressed on a bench in the hallway, so I sat down next to her shaking my head, and then the 12u coach came up and told me he noticed my daughter out there, she's really good, what are our plans for her etc.

My daughter heard this and asked me why the coach thought she could be a travel player - I explained she was pretty talented etc - and that moment there changed everything.

She started setting goals for herself so she could make his travel team and started doing all kinds of work on her own on the synthetic rink in our basement.

It's a few years later now and she is a machine when we work on things - she even approached me about doing off-ice training and helping her get stronger/faster a little while back.

She's extremely self-motivated now and I'm glad I hung in there with her.

Moral of the story is it's not always black and white, especially with young kids - and I certainly questioned myself about if I was doing things wrong with her.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Moral of the story is it's not always black and white, especially with young kids - and I certainly questioned myself about if I was doing things wrong with her.

Let me tell you about my middle kid. 2012. In U7 and U9 he was always kind-of indifferent about hockey. Again in games (although remember we had no games in 2020-2021) he always seemed like he kind of just skated around the play, not really getting engaged. It could also be frustrating to watch (though not to the degree my youngest is).

But something flipped a switch for him this year. He's in U11, first year of full ice. He plays D, at his own request. For the first time a coach is really teaching them basic structure and positioning. My kid now seems to take pride in holding the blue line, and in backing up his D partner (who likes to wander at times). He's been the "player of the game" 2-3 times already. And he's really good at getting in the middle of a scrum and fighting for the puck. So yeah, I think both my kid and I wonder how far he can go if he starts pushing himself more. We talked about doing more camps and skating than he's done before. Next year he'll be second year U11 and that's where he has the opportunity to play in one of the top tiers if he wants to push himself.

So with Joe Jr, I'm positive he's done with hockey for at lest one season unless something remarkable happens. But there's the tiny part that wonders if maybe a switch will be flipped like it was for his brother.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Just wait until they play rep hockey, workout ever summer, get listed in the W. End up going the JR A route instead, get signed, go to training camp and are one of the best players at camp but decide to quit and go to university instead, and you realizing it was the best thing ever because you spend way more time together.

Sometimes the unintended path is the best past. :)

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Let me tell you about my middle kid. 2012. In U7 and U9 he was always kind-of indifferent about hockey. Again in games (although remember we had no games in 2020-2021) he always seemed like he kind of just skated around the play, not really getting engaged. It could also be frustrating to watch (though not to the degree my youngest is).

But something flipped a switch for him this year. He's in U11, first year of full ice. He plays D, at his own request. For the first time a coach is really teaching them basic structure and positioning. My kid now seems to take pride in holding the blue line, and in backing up his D partner (who likes to wander at times). He's been the "player of the game" 2-3 times already. And he's really good at getting in the middle of a scrum and fighting for the puck. So yeah, I think both my kid and I wonder how far he can go if he starts pushing himself more. We talked about doing more camps and skating than he's done before. Next year he'll be second year U11 and that's where he has the opportunity to play in one of the top tiers if he wants to push himself.

So with Joe Jr, I'm positive he's done with hockey for at lest one season unless something remarkable happens. But there's the tiny part that wonders if maybe a switch will be flipped like it was for his brother.

Its important to keep in mind my daughter loved hockey since she was first on skates at four, just teaching her was difficult at many times.

In ADM she was also like your son where I had to explain to her to get engaged more and use her speed/skating ability.

Even now she has games where she plays like the Tasmanian Devil and others where she clearly isn’t giving it her all.

We have LiveBarn and she enjoys breaking down her games with me, so I can use that film to backup things I tell her that she doesn’t like to hear.

Then when she sees herself she will be annoyed that she didn’t move her feet here or there, missed an assignment, etc.

I’ve also been using it to show her the difference in her skating when she is tired and isn’t getting low enough.

Watching themselves on tape helps tremendously.

Maybe start by showing Joe Jr some footage of himself without any criticism and just point out the good things he does.

After a few sessions, introduce some light critiques and see how he handles it/if it transfers to games.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just wait until they play rep hockey, workout ever summer, get listed in the W. End up going the JR A route instead, get signed, go to training camp and are one of the best players at camp but decide to quit and go to university instead, and you realizing it was the best thing ever because you spend way more time together.

Sometimes the unintended path is the best past. :)

Ya, experiencing that right now with my daughter and I’m trying my best to keep my mouth shut and not sway her.

Had to do a self-check and realize I was making it about me because I don’t want to deal with the parents/politics of the association she wants to try out for this spring.

Just have to let her choose her own path and suck it up.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Okay so we kept Joe Jr back this past weekend. We only had one game anyways, told him we were taking a break. He wasn't upset, but when asked said he wanted to go back to hockey next weekend.

There's just three weekends left in this season. Still hoping we end on a high note (relatively speaking).

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ya, experiencing that right now with my daughter and I’m trying my best to keep my mouth shut and not sway her.

Had to do a self-check and realize I was making it about me because I don’t want to deal with the parents/politics of the association she wants to try out for this spring.

Just have to let her choose her own path and suck it up.
I was sour for two weeks silently. After leaving JR A in SK, and heading back to AB and saying he would just play JR B and go to university, about a week later a team in OJHL called to try to sign him and fly him out. By that time, he was happy with his decision. But like I said, we have never been closer and spent so much time together, golfing, hanging out, and now we coach U18AA together.

What we think is best, may end up not being best. In his mind, he liked being around his friends and family. So the benefit of playing 4 years away from home in Junior, he might get a D1/D3 scholarship, and his prize is four more years away from home. To him, not much of a reward.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was sour for two weeks silently. After leaving JR A in SK, and heading back to AB and saying he would just play JR B and go to university, about a week later a team in OJHL called to try to sign him and fly him out. By that time, he was happy with his decision. But like I said, we have never been closer and spent so much time together, golfing, hanging out, and now we coach U18AA together.

What we think is best, may end up not being best. In his mind, he liked being around his friends and family. So the benefit of playing 4 years away from home in Junior, he might get a D1/D3 scholarship, and his prize is four more years away from home. To him, not much of a reward.

Ya, I honestly don’t know what’s best for her…

She keeps asking me how I really feel about this elite program she’s being asked to try out for - so today I was honest and told her how I feel about the coach and the brutal politics involved, etc

Just let her know that I’m not infallible and she has to follow the path she feels is right for her.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I asked my youngest son for his opinion on the situation you describe. He’s 20 now, a former junior player and a skills trainer but he also coached a U10 local league team alongside me when he was 16, which was a blast). Sometimes, it’s useful to get a more youthful perspective on situations like yours.

So, he read your story in this thread and said, “Jeezus, that’s Evan. Remember Evan, dad? Joe Jr. is exactly the same.”

“Evan,” of course, was a 9 year-old boy we coached. And yes, my son is right — Joe Jr. is just like “Evan.”

Here’s my son’s take. Sorry if it’s a bit harsh — he’s a straight shooter.

First, when Joe Jr. says, “but I have to go to hockey,” you should not say, “No, you don’t.” Instead, you should say, “Why? Tell me, why do you have to go to hockey?”

My son believes that the answer to this question is the absolute key. If a kid does not seem to enjoy the game but won’t just voluntarily quit playing, there’s something else motivating him to stay on the team.
Maybe Joe Jr. goes to school with some of his teammates and hockey is essential to the peer group? Maybe hockey is Joe Jr.’s only non-school based recreational activity, and giving it up would mean he’s got nothing else? Regardless, there’s one or more reasons WHY Joe Jr. believes he HAS to go, and telling him that he does not have to go isn’t a conversation starter.

Second — and this one is hard — you can’t be on the coaching staff. The father of “Evan” had been an assistant coach on his son’s team since day 1, but when my son and I coached the team we refused to add any parents to the staff. Yes, volunteers are hard to come by and most teams have no choice other than parent coaches (which I’ve never been, btw), but hockey will never truly belong to Joe Jr. if you are an official authority figure on HIS recreational activity. He can’t even really be himself in the dressing room with the other kids with his dad lurking around. My son reminded me of the first time I ever saw him play a basketball game — it was for his elementary school team and I’d never seen so much as a single practice. He learned the game without me and, because white hockey dads can’t jump, was better off because of it. One teacher coached and the 10 boys had a great time learning and playing the game. I watched as a pure spectator and that’s how my kid wanted it. Give Joe Jr. the same chance to own his recreational activity and make of it what he will.

Third, my son cringed at the “park Joe Jr. in front of the net so he can score” story. Actually, he didn’t just cringe — he screamed “Jeezus! No, No, No! Goddamn, NO FRUCKIN’ CHEATING!!” Ummm … don’t do that. Ever. This kind of orchestrated attempt to grow a little kid’s confidence is absolutely humiliating for a 9 year-old in front of his peers. Even IF the coaches try to sell it to the other kids as some sort of “we are a team and help each other” exercise and they are OK with it, the whole thing makes Joe Jr. feel like he’s a charity case. I’m serious — my son ranted about this. Joe Jr. would rather never score a goal and hide on the ice every shift than get a fake goal he can’t even talk about because it’s so phoney.

Anyway, you posted for some advice, so here’s what we did with “Evan.”

We built each practice so kids ALL got 8-10 minutes alone with my son for a bit of 1-on-1 instruction away from the group once per week (we had 2 practices). Nobody singled out — everybody got this, and it helped a lot that they all loved having this funny 16 year-old assistant coach who played junior hockey AND fortnite and could show them cool tricks.

With Evan, my son made no attempt to motivate him or light some kind of competitive fire under him. No, he taught him how to control a pass rimmed around the boards — ass against the boards, puck from foot to stick — and told him that he’d keep track of how many times he did it in the next game. He also taught Evan how to screen a goalie — how to move so your ass is always in front of him, and told Evan he’d track that, too. He taught him how to “get his man’s number,” always look for it, and then stick on the guy like glue. In games, when Evan finished his shift and came to the bench, my kid would ask him, “what was his number, Evan?” He even taught Evan how to roof a flip shot from in tight, how a quick chop on the heel of an opponent’s skate would make him fall, and he taught him how to Jack the puck. LITTLE things that Evan could learn but had nothing to do with his temperament as a player. At one point, my son even taught Evan a new “playing rule of the game” each time they had a 10-minute session because, once again, this wasn’t about trying to change the kid’s compete level. Lots of laughter and joking around — Evan knew that this young assistant coach truly liked him and his 10 minutes or so of 1-on-1 time would be fun.

No pressure— and every kid got something different. Mentorship, in my view, can be a total game changer for a kid IF the mentor knows how to connect and the kid trusts him. My son snagged free tickets to his junior B games and gave them to all the kids — he even asked Evan to “do him a favour” and count the number of times he used a flip shot to clear the puck (he was a defenceman) or some other thing he’d taught the kid during practices. Evan wasn’t the only kid he did this sort of thing with, but he made the boy feel important and part of the “hockey community” — a welcome part of it.

Evan didn’t become a star hockey player and his overall on-ice demeanour didn’t change a lot. But changes to those things were never the goal. The only goal was to make hockey more fun for Evan, and that mission was at least partially accomplished.

Sorry for the LONG post — there’s lots of good advice here, so take mine as just one more contribution to the stew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad