What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Setoguchi is still out there. RH shot, good skater, not afraid to take the body. At this point he's probably looking like 1-year bargain bin signing. Money is still so tight though. I think he'd be a good 3rd line option. Even on the 2nd line as a Kobasew type with Bergeron and Marchand doing the heavy lifting. That's who Setoguchi's always reminded me of. Sadly it almost looks like his career is heading down that path. Doesn't have the injury history yet though, so could still be a decent gamble.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
I'd pass on Guchi...his time has passed. Reminds me of Rico Fata. All speed but no hands.

At the end of the day, one of our dmen will be dealt and I have a feeling Paille will start the year on the 3rd line.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'd pass on Guchi...his time has passed. Reminds me of Rico Fata. All speed but no hands.

At the end of the day, one of our dmen will be dealt and I have a feeling Paille will start the year on the 3rd line.

True, but he's always had a good shot. He averages about 22 goals per season for his career (11 last year). Last seasons was the only time in his 7 year career he hasn't scored at a 20+ goal clip. He's an inconsistent tweener, but his strengths are all needs for the Bruins. Speed. Takes the body. RH shot. Only 27.

This team is in a bad place if Paille or Kelly are on the 3rd line IMO. That line is basically a 3rd scoring line and is essential to the overall effectiveness of the entire offense. 8 or 9 goal pure defesive wingers aren't going to cut it IMO.

member 96824

True, but he's always had a good shot. He averages about 22 goals per season for his career (11 last year). Last seasons was the only time in his 7 year career he hasn't scored at a 20+ goal clip. He's an inconsistent tweener, but his strengths are all needs for the Bruins. Speed. Takes the body. RH shot. Only 27.

This team is in a bad place if Paille or Kelly are on the 3rd line IMO. That line is basically a 3rd scoring line and is essential to the overall effectiveness of the entire offense. 8 or 9 goal pure defesive wingers aren't going to cut it IMO.

Was very solid the year before with Minny, scored at a 22 goal 56 point pace. Worth a 1M flyer like some of the deals we've seen. Could be beneficial to the Bruins from a cap stand point depending on what guys like Fraser, Khoklachev, Spooner have in store for potential bonus's.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

I agree, they are. However, I'd rather have those stiffs then Guchi on the team. At least those guys compete every night...when I watched Winnipeg play he'd coast way too often and not go into the corners.

Fraser is a better option at the moment.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Setoguchi is still out there. RH shot, good skater, not afraid to take the body. At this point he's probably looking like 1-year bargain bin signing. Money is still so tight though. I think he'd be a good 3rd line option. Even on the 2nd line as a Kobasew type with Bergeron and Marchand doing the heavy lifting. That's who Setoguchi's always reminded me of. Sadly it almost looks like his career is heading down that path. Doesn't have the injury history yet though, so could still be a decent gamble.

Was very solid the year before with Minny, scored at a 22 goal 56 point pace. Worth a 1M flyer like some of the deals we've seen. Could be beneficial to the Bruins from a cap stand point depending on what guys like Fraser, Khoklachev, Spooner have in store for potential bonus's.

Looch-DK-Setoguchi
Bergy line
Paille-Yeti-Eriksson
Fraser-Koko-Knight
Robins

Campbell, Kelly and Caron dealt, Savard LTIR

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug-Miller
Bart-McQuaid

Rask-Svedberg

Fits under the cap with Krug and Smith both making 2.5 a piece

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I agree, they are. However, I'd rather have those stiffs then Guchi on the team. At least those guys compete every night...when I watched Winnipeg play he'd coast way too often and not go into the corners.

Fraser is a better option at the moment.

For all the talk about Spooner and having Eriksson on the top line the guy I think that should get a look is Fraser with Lucic and Krecji, he's slow, but so are they, he has a great shot and release and will bring a more physical game than Eriksson.

Ideally a move is made to bring in a legitimate number one winger, not Setoguchi, and Fraser plays on the third line.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Looch-DK-Setoguchi
Bergy line
Paille-Yeti-Eriksson
Fraser-Koko-Knight
Robins

Campbell, Kelly and Caron dealt, Savard LTIR

Chara-Dougie
Seids-Boychuk
Krug-Miller
Bart-McQuaid

Rask-Svedberg

Fits under the cap with Krug and Smith both making 2.5 a piece

So people complain we won't be good enough with Loui on the first line, but having Devin Setoguchi there is better? :laugh:

If Guch makes this team, its on the 3rd line.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
For all the talk about Spooner and having Eriksson on the top line the guy I think that should get a look is Fraser with Lucic and Krecji, he's slow, but so are they, he has a great shot and release and will bring a more physical game than Eriksson.

Ideally a move is made to bring in a legitimate number one winger, not Setoguchi, and Fraser plays on the third line.

Fraser will become the new 'Muzz" ;)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Well, coming from Claude he said either we find a replacement for Eriksson on the third line or we find a replacement for Iginla on the first line. And it absolutely will be through a trade.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Well, coming from Claude he said either we find a replacement for Eriksson on the third line or we find a replacement for Iginla on the first line. And it absolutely will be through a trade.

Clode already said Eriksson is Iginla's replacement on the 1st line.

Glad they'll be some actual competition in camp. Keep the guys hungry.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
So people complain we won't be good enough with Loui on the first line, but having Devin Setoguchi there is better? :laugh:

If Guch makes this team, its on the 3rd line.

You missed the point....He pushes Eriksson down with Yeti..Plus he's a right shot and has way more speed... Certainly better then clogging the first line up further, and having Yeti play with two guys who can't score.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
You missed the point....He pushes Eriksson down with Yeti..Plus he's a right shot and has way more speed... Certainly better then clogging the first line up further, and having Yeti play with two guys who can't score.

Krejci has never really excelled with a 'fast' winger though. His best years came with playing with guys like Lucic, Horton, Iginla, Wheeler, and Ryder.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I would love to see a shoot-first winger play with The Yeti. He uses his body so well to control the puck, and when he gets going in the offensive zone he is so hard to handle, it inevitably leads to guys chasing/leaving their assignment, which can open up space. A guy with a quick release that can exploit that space would be a great complement.

member 96824

Krejci has never really excelled with a 'fast' winger though. His best years came with playing with guys like Lucic, Horton, Iginla, Wheeler, and Ryder.

Here comes Redeye Rocketeer to derail 14 threads because you didn't call Wheeler fast :laugh:

Truthfully, Krejci looked really good with Kessel in limited time if I remember right....back when Savvy was anchored by PJ and Bitz. Also played well with Versteeg who's got some good wheels.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Here comes Redeye Rocketeer to derail 14 threads because you didn't call Wheeler fast :laugh:

Truthfully, Krejci looked really good with Kessel in limited time if I remember right....back when Savvy was anchored by PJ and Bitz. Also played well with Versteeg who's got some good wheels.

Absolutely, Krech looked awesome with Kessel. That is probably the one thing I miss about not having Phil: the potential dynamic those 2 guys could have.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, and this much more for curiousity's sake than anything, but why do people consider Spooner undersized but not Krejci, when Spooner is only giving up 1 inch and about 7 pounds (going off of details on NHL.com)?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would love to see a shoot-first winger play with The Yeti. He uses his body so well to control the puck, and when he gets going in the offensive zone he is so hard to handle, it inevitably leads to guys chasing/leaving their assignment, which can open up space. A guy with a quick release that can exploit that space would be a great complement.

Knight. Sweeney very candidly assessed 7 prospects and said of Knight 'elite' release

member 96824

Absolutely, Krech looked awesome with Kessel. That is probably the one thing I miss about not having Phil: the potential dynamic those 2 guys could have.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, and this much more for curiousity's sake than anything, but why do people consider Spooner undersized but not Krejci, when Spooner is only giving up 1 inch and about 7 pounds (going off of details on NHL.com)?

IMO, the same way that all russians are lazy, swedes are soft, etc.

Spooner is a speedy skilled center, so he's clearly undersized. Spooner's got 9 pounds on Giroux, don't think Giroux's size has ever been an issue at the NHL level, just spooked off "experts" a few years ago

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Krejci looked pretty good in the finals with Peverley...just sayin

Though I don't think Setoguchi is the guy. I'd rather see Loui in that spot.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be opposed to making Spooner the RW for Bergy's line (even though sources tell me that he will retire if forced to play wing :naughty:). Put Smitty up with DK and Loosick, and keep the Swedes on the 3rd with CK (helps him shed the overpaid 4th liner label :naughty:).

I know it might/probably will fail miserably, but I think it gives Spooner a real opportunity to get legit minutes playmaking for 37 and 63. It also gives us a matchup advantage vs. just about any other 3rd line in the league.

Now I know that Spooner is a natural C, but at this point I can't see him usurping 46, 37, or 34.. so pending the departure of one of those 3, why not give it a shot? There's nothing wrong with experimentation, or at least that's what the hippies used to tell me.

*This is assuming that Pastrnak's Calder season comes a year late, and he doesn't make the cut. :yo:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't be opposed to making Spooner the RW for Bergy's line (even though sources tell me that he will retire if forced to play wing :naughty:). Put Smitty up with DK and Loosick, and keep the Swedes on the 3rd with CK (helps him shed the overpaid 4th liner label :naughty:).

I know it might/probably will fail miserably, but I think it gives Spooner a real opportunity to get legit minutes playmaking for 37 and 63. It also gives us a matchup advantage vs. just about any other 3rd line in the league.

Now I know that Spooner is a natural C, but at this point I can't see him usurping 46, 37, or 34.. so pending the departure of one of those 3, why not give it a shot? There's nothing wrong with experimentation, or at least that's what the hippies used to tell me.

The player would be opposed to it. Spooner is not comfortable playing wing and has publicly stated so (don't have a link, it was in the Globe at some point last season). The fine folks who follow Providence closely have told us KoKo is in the same boat of being a pure center. Which is why there was a tweet saying the Bruins are considering moving Campbell to wing so one of them can center the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad