What Should we name the Salt Lake City Team? (Mod: stop with the religious comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't hate it if they kept the name Coyotes. The Utah Coyotes.

(Think Flames, Braves, Dodgers... it does happen, although it's been uncommon of late.)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Utah Olympics is kind of a home run given the circumstances.

Though I wouldnt mind seeing a play on the unique 'SLC' moniker. The "SLC SeLeCts", the "SLC SeLtiCs" or something like that. Can even go in reverse with something like the "SLC CoLonizerS" or the "SLC CLownS". Lotta room for imaginary thought here. Exiting to say the least.
SLaCkers.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Big fan of the Swarm, Sting, and Bighorns ideas. I also like the Blizzard, but might be too similar to the Avs as far as branding goes. All 4 of these names work equally well with Utah or Salt Lake imo.

Not a fan of Utah Yeti. Just looks and sounds weird. Plus the Avs already own the Bigfoot branding.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If we look at the why Salt Lake city exists; maybe pathfinders?
If we look at local economy, they are a banking hub, make the majority of fish food in north America so something in that genre could work.
If we look at geography they have mountains and a valley.

So a name that can somehow encompass all of that would be ideal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Grizzlies is already taken by another sports team.

The Sizzle, just for the alliteration.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Something bee-related would be nice and would be topical for the area given that Mormonism has a long history of beehive-related symbology. Salt Lake Bees is already taken, though.

Utah Yellowjackets sounds solid, but having two -jacket teams in the NHL would be a bit much.

Utah Wasps would be too open for a joke despite the P part of the acronym not fitting.

Utah Hornets works, but "Hornets" is already more famous as an NBA team, so no need to second fiddle themselves when they don't have a history with the name.

Utah Drones? Eh... nah.

Maybe go a different route.

Utah Raptors would be neat after the dinosaur utahraptor, but again, second-fiddle to an NBA team. Lakers as well, darn you, LA.

State fish is a cutthroat troat, so Utah Cutthroats sounds badass.... but that's not really a mental image you want in hockey for pretty obvious and morbid reasons.

Eh, maybe something basic, like Utah Pioneers?
Utah Sting? Salt Lake Sting.. A bee holding a hockey stick would make for a cool logo.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Utah Sting? Salt Lake Sting.. A bee holding a hockey stick would make for a cool logo.
1707504872233.png

You mean like this? It's pretty stupid and cartoony. Sorry Sarnia fans.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Are we naming a ski team or a hockey team?
I was referring to alpine as in high elevations. Utah apparently has mountains. Lol. That being said I don’t really like the name alpine all that much. Yeti is pretty good I guess. But in twenty years when the NHL adds its 60th team I want Saskatchewan to be called the Samsquanches.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Something bee-related would be nice and would be topical for the area given that Mormonism has a long history of beehive-related symbology. Salt Lake Bees is already taken, though.

Utah Yellowjackets sounds solid, but having two -jacket teams in the NHL would be a bit much.

Utah Wasps would be too open for a joke despite the P part of the acronym not fitting.

Utah Hornets works, but "Hornets" is already more famous as an NBA team, so no need to second fiddle themselves when they don't have a history with the name.

Utah Drones? Eh... nah.

Maybe go a different route.

Utah Raptors would be neat after the dinosaur utahraptor, but again, second-fiddle to an NBA team. Lakers as well, darn you, LA.

State fish is a cutthroat troat, so Utah Cutthroats sounds badass.... but that's not really a mental image you want in hockey for pretty obvious and morbid reasons.

Eh, maybe something basic, like Utah Pioneers?
Salt Lake Swarm
Salt Lake Sting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad