What Should we name the Salt Lake City Team? (Mod: stop with the religious comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Fellas

Lets be adults here and respectful to the folks in Arizona .

Here are my top choices IMO as a part time Utah resident.

1. Grizzlies- Sick Jersey/ Logo plus they could have Jazz Bear show up for games as part time mascot
2. Golden Eagles
3.Miners/Prospectors - The wasatch mtns , particularly Park City and Alta were founded as mining towns. It also doesnt really have any divisive LDS connotation
4. Raptors or something Dino themed- this tracks: Dinosaur NM , tons of paleontology throughout the state

5. Could be something skiing themed/ in reference to “The Greatest Snow on Earth”

6. Lakers (GSL, Lake Powell). Utah is a big Lake State

7. Something canyon related- No state can come close to competing with Utah in terms or Canyons. Utah is the Canyon State

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
How about being the first professional multisport club in North America?

Utah Jazz is just fine. Although I guess the St. Louis Blues might not like it because it's too similar...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Something bee-related would be nice and would be topical for the area given that Mormonism has a long history of beehive-related symbology. Salt Lake Bees is already taken, though.

Utah Yellowjackets sounds solid, but having two -jacket teams in the NHL would be a bit much.

Utah Wasps would be too open for a joke despite the P part of the acronym not fitting.

Utah Hornets works, but "Hornets" is already more famous as an NBA team, so no need to second fiddle themselves when they don't have a history with the name.

Utah Drones? Eh... nah.

Maybe go a different route.

Utah Raptors would be neat after the dinosaur utahraptor, but again, second-fiddle to an NBA team. Lakers as well, darn you, LA.

State fish is a cutthroat troat, so Utah Cutthroats sounds badass.... but that's not really a mental image you want in hockey for pretty obvious and morbid reasons.

Eh, maybe something basic, like Utah Pioneers?

Reactions: phillyb and NYI365

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
How about being the first professional multisport club in North America?

Utah Jazz is just fine. Although I guess the St. Louis Blues might not like it because it's too similar...

Jazz and blues are very different, and if Kyrou and co. have any respect for their team then they know the difference between Muddy Waters and Pat Metheny.

Blues would naturally play a more structured game, Jazz more free flowing and improvisational. That’s just science.

Anyways- Utah Powderkegs? Powder as in snow, I assume powderkegs were used in mining. Also various jokes can be made regarding alcohol and illicit substances, so that’s fun.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
iu

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Jazz and blues are very different, and if Kyrou and co. have any respect for their team then they know the difference between Muddy Waters and Pat Metheny.

Blues would naturally play a more structured game, Jazz more free flowing and improvisational. That’s just science.

Anyways- Utah Powderkegs? Powder as in snow, I assume powderkegs were used in mining. Also various jokes can be made regarding alcohol and illicit substances, so that’s fun.
powderkegs also relevant to Avalanche Mitigation, which was first pioneered in the modern sense in Utah by the Utah Avalanche Center which is arguably the world’s leading Avalanche Center.

Little Cottonwood canyon , home of Alta and Snowbird is one of the snowiest places on earth as well and is extremely avalanche prone

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Salt Lake City Books would be so awful I'd like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad