What should be done?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yes he has.

If Beau Bennett was playing well,
he would have more than one goal in 26 games.
he would have more than 6 assists in 26 games.
he wouldn't have been a healthy scratch on multiple occasions.
he would be more than a -5.

What does he have going for him? 5v5 Possession numbers? Great, then why is he a -5.

I'm not saying Bennett has been one of our biggest problems, he's far from the Devils problem. But he certainly has underperformed from what we, Shero and Hynes, and about everyone expected of him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

What does he have going for him? 5v5 Possession numbers? Great, then why is he a -5.

I'm not saying Bennett has been one of our biggest problems, he's far from the Devils problem. But he certainly has underperformed from what we, Shero and Hynes, and about everyone expected of him.

He's shooting 2%. Very very poor luck, he's playing quite well. Your comment about his plus minus is absurd. Hall is a -7. Severson is a -15. Bennett has been fine, he just hasn't gotten any breaks. His line was our best line last game by quite a margin.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
fast and supportive?

no no guys listen, forget that horse ****
new game plan, I'll make it simple

in fact, start by simplifying your game
here's what I want you to do

play harder

(long awkward pause making sure to look at rico palms and greene til they squirm)

no really
play ****ing harder :sarcasm:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The first thing Shero needs to do is improve the defense and add team toughness. Guys like DSP and Kalinin, while big players are very soft and if they aren't scoring are useless. Need to find a player or two like the kid Nolan from LA.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Yeah, instead we could call up the French savior. I'm sure he would fix everything.:sarcasm:

No need, we got Helgeson on the way. He is going to be the piece that gets this team going with his Coffey like skating ability and Ray Bourque two way play and power game :sarcasm:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah, instead we could call up the French savior. I'm sure he would fix everything.:sarcasm:

Auvitu is at least NHL caliber, unlike Helgeson. But most organizations would have fired the coach by now. Instead we call up a useless AHL defenseman. Speaks volumes about how little we want to get back on track...

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Auvitui is at least capable of skating at a NHL level and get shots off. He has 4 points in 23 games to Helgeson 3 points (zero goals) in 41 games. Auvitu is also a +2 to Helgeson's -1.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Complaining about the players available to call up

Complaining about the coach

You do realize one train of thought is incompatible with the other, right?

Firing Hynes isn't gonna save this season and may only serve to mask the problems. We also tend to agree that Shero inherited a terrible squad with questionable prospects.

We probably were not as good as the 9-3-3 suggested (and think of all the non-Metro teams we played that just don't lose anymore unless to each other) and we probably are not as bad as the current streak implies (unless we are witnessing the new Schneider).

This is what happens during a rebuild and even more so when no one will ****ing admit it. Here we are discussing a team that has one playoff appearance since 2010 and will make it 1 out of 7 come the spring. The rot set in with Lamoriello and he didn't (couldn't?) do much to solve the long term issues as he kept trying to find the short term. The problems were evident during the latter part of his tenure anyway.

Rebuilds take time. To become what Lamoriello turned us into, Shero will need about the amount of time Lou needed (6-7yrs). He will also need some draft luck and if the courts wanna help out and send us an amazing player that would be nice too!

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Firing Hynes isn't gonna save this season and may only serve to mask the problems. We also tend to agree that Shero inherited a terrible squad with questionable prospects.

We probably were not as good as the 9-3-3 suggested (and think of all the non-Metro teams we played that just don't lose anymore unless to each other) and we probably are not as bad as the current streak implies (unless we are witnessing the new Schneider).

This is what happens during a rebuild and even more so when no one will ****ing admit it. Here we are discussing a team that has one playoff appearance since 2010 and will make it 1 out of 7 come the spring.

Rebuilds take time.

I'm not complaining about the players available to call up (Auvitu is a fine call up option, and probably shouldn't have been sent down in the first place, since he's more useful than Gazdic, but whatever, that's small potatoes). I'm complaining that an organization's response to the complete failures we have seen over the last seven games--which have mostly been devoid of any redeeming qualities--is just to call up an AHL defenseman.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

This is what happens during a rebuild and even more so when no one will ****ing admit it. Here we are discussing a team that has one playoff appearance since 2010 and will make it 1 out of 7 come the spring.

Rebuilds take time.

You do realize that complaining about call ups and coaching are not mutually exclusive right? You do realize that you can complain about the coach having a terrible strategy that doesn't fit the players he has and that he does not adapt to what the other team is doing to shut this team down? or his refusal to try certain players on certain lines?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The first thing Shero needs to do is improve the defense and add team toughness. Guys like DSP and Kalinin, while big players are very soft and if they aren't scoring are useless. Need to find a player or two like the kid Nolan from LA.

Is Brendan Smith from the redwings back? He is gritty and thought his advanced stats were pretty decent
He is in his final year and probs won't resigned with detroit.
It's not pulling us out of tailspin but some sand paper would be nice

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not complaining about the players available to call up (Auvitu is a fine call up option, and probably shouldn't have been sent down in the first place, since he's more useful than Gazdic, but whatever, that's small potatoes). I'm complaining that an organization's response to the complete failures we have seen over the last seven games--which have mostly been devoid of any redeeming qualities--is just to call up an AHL defenseman.

As opposed to what, making kneejerk reactions after 17 bad games in year 2 of a multi year plan of building the team?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Is Brendan Smith from the redwings back? He is gritty and thought his advanced stats were pretty decent
He is in his final year and probs won't resigned with detroit.
It's not pulling us out of tailspin but some sand paper would be nice

Smith would be a good bottom pairing guy.

As opposed to what, making kneejerk reactions after 17 bad games in year 2 of a multi year plan of building the team?

"kneejerk reactions" lol. yea, because they haven't been blown out terrible and out played and half the team look disinterested. Totally not something to address in a rebuild.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Firing a coach for the number of blowouts that we've had (and when there are basically no positives about the team's play) is not exactly knee-jerk, but let's continue our plunge to the bottom of the standings and keep calling it a rebuild when it's more of a tear-down. Sounds exhilarating.I can't wait to see what future failures are in store for the team this year.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I love seeing the same people that were against chasing top 4 picks four years ago crying about this team.

If you don't want to "tank", this is going to be a very long and painful process. This team should have been top 3 worthy each of the past 2 years. Instead the organization went Rangers circa early 2000s.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Honestly, I don't know why some of you even follow the team anymore since they make you so miserable.

Should being blownout every night and being out of playoff contention before Christmas make me happy? I'm happy when we win or at least put in a good effort and play a close game. Not my fault this team provides little opportunities to be happy.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Dwight King?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

3rd best corsi on the team

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Auvitui is at least capable of skating at a NHL level and get shots off. He has 4 points in 23 games to Helgeson 3 points (zero goals) in 41 games. Auvitu is also a +2 to Helgeson's -1.

Talk about an unimpressive stat differential.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Auvitu is at least NHL caliber, unlike Helgeson. But most organizations would have fired the coach by now. Instead we call up a useless AHL defenseman. Speaks volumes about how little we want to get back on track...

Actually teams do not typically fire coaches based off a 7 game stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: