What move will Stan make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think people are forgetting that the whole point of the game is to win the cup and win it now when you have an opportunity especially with an aging core. Ask yourself this, would you trade Pokka and a first for a cup? I know nothing is guaranteed but you can bet your behind that the Hawks will be the favorites to take it all after that move.

can you guarantee that trading a 1st & Pokka wins us the Cup?
can you guarantee that not trading a 1st & Pokka loses us the Cup and we have no Chance of winning it without?

yep, you can't

TeddyGoalsevelt

Duke of Earl
Jun 6, 2015
The Region
can you guarantee that not trading a 1st & Pokka loses us the Cup and we have no Chance of winning it without?

yep, you can't

I can guarantee you that signing Marty Havlat wins us a Cup. In fact, I'm so sure, I'd be willing to bet $5 whole dollars on it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I still don't see that 1 new Player can guarantee us the Cup.

I don't see how it's a good idea to trade Teuvo or Pokka or our 1st and 1st and 1st.
We can find other serviceable Players, Players that fill a role and fit in.
Guys like Fleischmann, Purcell, Killorn, Spaling, Gerbe or Raffl can Play certain roles and fill in. Let's face it, you don't get your 1st line LW at the TD and if you do, you pay a big Price. Not to mention that we couldn't Keep that guy.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

I don't see how it's a good idea to trade Teuvo or Pokka or our 1st and 1st and 1st.
Guys like Fleischmann, Purcell, Killorn, Spaling, Gerbe or Raffl can Play certain roles and fill in. Let's face it, you don't get your 1st line LW at the TD and if you do, you pay a big Price. Not to mention that we couldn't Keep that guy.

I think the bigger question is though if you're paying a big price for a 3rd liner, why not pay a bit more and get a legitimate first liner? We saw what Vermette etc cost last year.

If you can get a guy in the Versteeg/Parenteau etc range for a 3rd-4th that would be optimal, but I think its too much of a seller's market for that.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Kings got their 1st line Wingers at making a cup boosting trade in Gaborik.

I mean sure the only option of a guy they can keep is someone if it's a younger cheaper threat but there is less options of those guys, like Drouin of course still has another elc year I believe but his trade market is weird.

There is always Brandon Pirri supposedly on the market :naughty:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

yep, you can't

Did you not read my post? I said there is no guarantees but it does put us as top favourites. Man some people... I think we can all agree that with with Eriksson the Hawks have a much better chance of winning it, its simple mathematics.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
While the point is to win the Cup,the Hawks have too many holes to fill this time such that 1 player is going to make much difference...Last year 's rental was a 3C need who coukd also win faceoff in Vermette ...He did just enough at crucial times to make a difference but was hardly a dominant tilt the ice difference guy. ..The price is way too high unless you think the return on the rental is going to improve us more than say Dallas will improve when they add their rental prize because they are thinking the same thing ...1 more guy puts them veralk the top...they think. ..If both rentals cancel out we are really giving up a high cost for no real gain on Dallas anyway to get to a WC Final.I am not a version to giving g up a first rounder this year since we will be drafting late 20s to 30th anyway. .But the other a set we put in cannot be some prospect we really believe will be on our team in the years ahead...It could be that a deal would be a conditional one such that we give a first and another pick but that pick depends on whether the rental helps us get to the Cup Final and a better pick if we win the Cup...something
like a first in 2016 and a conditional 3rd (2016 3rd) if we get to the Cup Final which changes to a 2nd (2017 ...because we have no 2016 2nd) if we win the Cup...but no conditional picks if the rental fails to get us to the Cup Final...OR if Stan does not want to throw in conditional picks then a drafted prospect further away coukd be used like Dahlstrom or Gilbert ...but not a candidate for the mix like Pokka who could be up with us next season and TVR switches to RD on the 3rd pairing as Rozy probably not back next year..A first and Pokka is too high a price for us to pay..As for Hartman....marginal 4th liner material ..so I would not lose sleep if he were the extra thrown in after the first ...But not Pokka since he is in the mix with Svedberg and Gus for our bottom 3 Dmen starters next year...

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah Pokka to me is the most untouchable of the prospects, because we're going to need to find a legitimate #4 d-man next year out of TvR, Gus, Svedberg and him, and having more bullets to fire is never a bad thing. Our top 6 (well top 5 exluding the LW1) remains set for the near future for better or worse.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just was looking through the Leafs lineup, and think they could get more than we'd offer, but I'd love Polak as a #4-5 Dman. His cap hit is 2.75 and he's an UFA after this year.

I was always a fan of his play when he was in St. Louis albeit nothing great, and he's astonishingly a +8 on that horrid team while providing little offense to boost that number. Think he would be a great option if the right deal came along and Toronto ate a little cap, not like they should care for 2 useless months if it means getting a pick and some solid prospects.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Actually..I would prefer we just get Versteeg for a lesser price than the name players like Boedker Staal or Ladd who because of reputation will cost more...but the Facts are that we won 2 Cups with Versteeg...also he is having a very good season..plus his possesion metrics are better ...much better than Ladd or Staal this season
..have not yet checked relative to Boedker but I will and post back soon.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Just checked...Boedkker has negative possesion metrics.
.So tge best option is Versteeg if Carolina is a seller ...If tge price is higher than a 3rd and 4th ...say a 2nd and 4th ...then it has to be a 2017 2nd and a 2016 4th ...If we are so desperate that we must overpay. .then a 2016 3rdand 2017 2nd if we must.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
Actually..I would prefer we just get Versteeg for a lesser price than the name players like Boedker Staal or Ladd who because of reputation will cost more...but the Facts are that we won 2 Cups with Versteeg...also he is having a very good season..plus his possesion metrics are better ...much better than Ladd or Staal this season

I would like to steer clear of Staal, some reason I imagine him having difficulty here. Think a player along versteegs tier would be best, I'd like Hudler over Versteeg 3.0.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
Just checked...Boedkker has negative possesion metrics.
.So tge best option is Versteeg if Carolina is a seller ...If tge price is higher than a 3rd and 4th ...say a 2nd and 4th ...then it has to be a 2017 2nd and a 2016 4th ...If we are so desperate that we must overpay. .then a 2016 3rdand 2017 2nd if we must.

Was watching the Carolina/Winnipeg game the other night. Steeg was working pretty hard, looked good. Announcers were saying he's definitely up for grabs.
For the record, he's one of my favorite Hawks of this era despite his flaws. I'd love to see him return at the right price.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

And there goes your credibility if you are being serious. Versteeg, really? He is terrible. You speak about CC mentality and he is the definition of it. Long loops, lazy back checks, and trying to play like he is Kane.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't care to have Versteeg back either, but he is better than Panik, Sekac, Mashinter, and is a better option than Shaw in the top 6.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Versteeg? Really people?

Versteeg is that hot stripper with a drug problem we can't stay away from. She claims it's a temporary job while she pays for med school ... but in our hearts, we know the truth. We want to believe we can save her ... until one day you notice that your valuables are gone and she's nowhere to be found AGAIN.

Don't be that guy.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Versteeg is that hot stripper with a drug problem we can't stay away from. She claims it's a temporary job while she pays for med school ... but in our hearts, we know the truth. We want to believe we can save her ... until one day you notice that your valuables are gone and she's nowhere to be found AGAIN.

Don't be that guy.

No we already cleared up who Versteeg is. See my past post.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q mentioned this morning how he would like a forward or two at or near the deadline. So sounds like our D is staying the way it is, and the priority will be on getting a forward.

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Surprised by that. I can't imagine they dont target a d man. No way they go into playoffs with their current 4-7.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Surprised by that. I can't imagine they dont target a d man. No way they go into playoffs with their current 4-7.

I don't think defense is really a problem. If we can get a legit 2LW and push Shaw down to the bottom 6 with Kruger coming back ... it would give the Hawks the depth at forward that its always had in their Cup runs.

I like Oduya but overall, a combination of Rozi, Gus, TVR, and Sveddy with the top three is better than what we had last year ... especially with Crow playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad