What move will Stan make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think with the core they can repeat again, absolutely, but when is the last time a team won the cup with a lot of rookies, bread, danault, ras, mash, sved, gus. I definitely am 100% behind them, I just would feel much better with an acquisition or two at tdl.

Would have to look, but imagine the last team to win it all would have been backed by a similar core of 4 HoF's, 3 in their prime, solid as hell netminder with 2 rings, and a slew of other pieces who have a lot of invaluable experience. Also Panarin is fresh off a championship in Russia where he was a PPG and doesn't seem to have the personality of getting shaken by a big stage. Also great system, coaching...

I am with you on another piece or two, think this deadline will be a lot like last years, hopefully swap Timmonenn with a solid defender who can move.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The thing is...we are deep in the LD position ...TVR plays there when Rozy plays and GUS is out...but we have Svedberg ;Gus;Pokka; Forsling ; and Gilbert and Snuggerud(longer term for ETA if they develop ) ...all are LD...

TVR switches over to RD when Rozy retires or is off the team maybe next season...but unless the others can shift we shall need more RDS in the pipeline ...but as for LD maybe we could give up 1 of them..but probably only Pokka or Forsling projects to possibly taking a top 4 dman (2LD) given their 2-way ability ....so I would think that for a rental the longer range d-prospect is the add in to a first rounder (eg. Gilbert or Snuggerud)...do not want to give up Pokka or Forsling for mere rental ...

Has anyone thought of the scenario from Hell. ...suppose we do get Ladd ...and he was not a great playoff guy in 2010 ...And he is -11 this year...Maybe he has slowed or got out of shape? I do not think we can say with 100% certainty we know what we get in Ladd...Maybe not as much as people think if he is lax defensively now...BUT what if Dallas counters by Getting Versteeg and he performs better for them than Ladd for us? STAN would get raked over the coals for targeting the wrong guy in that scenario.. OR what if Dallas gets Eriksson shifts he is put on sale? Maybe getting Ladd does us little good anyway if Dallas counters and their guy does a lot better.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I dont get why a couple people in here think you need to move a top prospect to get a rental. You dont. Like at all. In fact top prospects are rarely moved for rentals. Why move Pokka when you can get a high end rental for a 1st/McNeil/another lower prospect? That's just terrible asset management.

Would I rather McNeil go the other way over Pokka? of course who wouldn't, I dont want the Hawks to lose anyone frankly but if that is the price to be paid then go for it.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
The thing is...we are deep in the LD position ...TVR plays there when Rozy plays and GUS is out...but we have Svedberg ;Gus;Pokka; Forsling ; and Gilbert and Snuggerud(longer term for ETA if they develop ) ...all are LD...

TVR switches over to RD when Rozy retires or is off the team maybe next season...but unless the others can shift we shall need more RDS in the pipeline ...but as for LD maybe we could give up 1 of them..but probably only Pokka or Forsling projects to possibly taking a top 4 dman (2LD) given their 2-way ability ....so I would think that for a rental the longer range d-prospect is the add in to a first rounder (eg. Gilbert or Snuggerud)...do not want to give up Pokka or Forsling for mere rental ...

Has anyone thought of the scenario from Hell. ...suppose we do get Ladd ...and he was not a great playoff guy in 2010 ...And he is -11 this year...Maybe he has slowed or got out of shape? I do not think we can say with 100% certainty we know what we get in Ladd...Maybe not as much as people think if he is lax defensively now...BUT what if Dallas counters by Getting Versteeg and he performs better for them than Ladd for us? STAN would get raked over the coals for targeting the wrong guy in that scenario.. OR what if Dallas gets Eriksson shifts he is put on sale? Maybe getting Ladd does us little good anyway if Dallas counters and their guy does a lot better.

Have to say I agree in a way about Ladd, not sure what your point is exactly about him, but have watched a good amount of Winnepeg and have Ladd on my fantasy team, his production has been off and on. I do not think it'd be any guarantee that he'd excel in our 1 LW spot like I do Loui, Hudler, Staal, but regardless hes a massive upgrade over anyone right now.

Also have to admit seeing that dude back in the Indianhead would be ****ing epic.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Very good points. But we have to roll the dice with someone. We need LW depth. To be considered one of the legit Stanley Cup favorites ... we need to upgrade that position. I don't know if it's Ladd, Ericksson, Boedker, Hudler, etc. ... but you can't win if you don't play. Stan has to be careful what he gives us though. I believe cost controlled young assets and high draft picks are at premium these days (due to the weakening Candian Dollar & Cap). We can get these rentals at a discount unlike before.

As for Versteeg, been there / done that. Versteeg is good from far ... but far from good. I'll take my chances with Ladd as long as Toews is fine with it and the cost is not too expensive. The Jets know Ladd's gone after the Buff deal. They have little leverage.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Pokka plays RD. He's always listed at that and just is when watching the Rockford games. Hell even parts of this season had Svedberg-Pokka. I'm not sure about others listed there but Pokka certainly isn't apart of some LD logjam issue.

I would think the value would be more nitpicked by fans over some idea of the "wrong" get if it's a Ladd/Erickson or others that actually are traded away. There was some Petry complaining last time because of the similar value yet If you want to get to RD/LD cases, that was one where that actually factored so it seeme odd to complain. As far as I've saw Petry just plays to his RD side so adding him would of been a different scenario, not a guy to slot besides Seabrook where Kimo largely only played. Rozi or Hammer would of had to moved to LD & therefore not played with Keith in those scenarios for that to play out, I suppose Keith-Petry could of done some good though.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
Very good points. But we have to roll the dice with someone. We need LW depth. To be considered one of the legit Stanley Cup favorites ... we need to upgrade that position. I don't know if it's Ladd, Ericksson, Boedker, Hudler, etc. ... but you can't win if you don't play. Stan has to be careful what he gives us though. I believe cost controlled young assets and high draft picks are at premium these days (due to the weakening Candian Dollar & Cap). We can get these rentals at a discount unlike before.

As for Versteeg, been there / done that. Versteeg is good from far ... but far from good. I'll take my chances with Ladd as long as Toews is fine with it and the cost is not too expensive. The Jets know Ladd's gone after the Buff deal. They have little leverage.

Although I feel we do need an upgrade I think it's crazy talk to say we aren't one of the legit cup favorites, tell me the hockey world would take the Stars D up against ours in a 7 game series, and the rest of the division is a far cry from what we all feared would be a juggernaut. Kings a very good but watch them enough and you get a decently consistent team with a lot of questions as well.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm OK with trading away picks for the next couple years. We have enough young prospects that have the ability to come in and potentially make a difference.

Forwards: Motte, Schmaltz, Dano, TT
Defensemen: Pokka, Forsling

I don't trade away any of the above. (for a rental.) Those are players who, imo, are capable of cracking the top two lines on a cost-controlled basis.

The rest of the prospects are all 3rd-4th liners. The only one of them I would hesitate to trade is Hartman.

If we can continue to pick up talented free agents, we can probably get away with this for a few more years before we start needed those picks.

I'm assuming you would have Gus and TVR on that list as well right?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Although I feel we do need an upgrade I think it's crazy talk to say we aren't one of the legit cup favorites, tell me the hockey world would take the Stars D up against ours in a 7 game series, and the rest of the division is a far cry from what we all feared would be a juggernaut. Kings a very good but watch them enough and you get a decently consistent team with a lot of questions as well.

I'm one of the biggest homers ... but there are issues with this team. Obviously, Fiddy is Donald Trump on steroids but when he chooses, he does have good points.

Our defense and goaltending is fine, but I'm really worried about our quality depth at forward. Our 1st line: Panarin-Anisimov-Kane is one of the best, if not the best in the league ... but our second, third, and checking line are not as deep as previous Stanley Cup teams. Toews and Hossa really needs a legit 2LW. We need Kruger back at 4C and Shaw at 3/4LW. We also stink at the dot (at least in crucial situations) and our special teams have suffered because of it.

Yes, the Hawks are Stanley Cup contenders. But this feels like a team that has pieces missing ... especially at top which flows to our bottom lines. That will show up big in the playoffs. It's how the Hawks exploited other teams in a long playoff series ... our quality depth at forward. And if our special teams continue to scuffle, our lack of quality depth will stick out in the post season.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm one of the biggest homers ... but there are issues with this team. Obviously, Fiddy is Donald Trump on steroids but when he chooses, he does have good points.

Our defense and goaltending is fine, but I'm really worried about our quality depth at forward. Our 1st line: Panarin-Anisimov-Kane is one of the best, if not the best in the league ... but our second, third, and checking line are not as deep as previous Stanley Cup teams. Toews and Hossa really needs a legit 2LW. We need Kruger back at 4C and Shaw at 3/4LW. We also stink at the dot (at least in crucial situations) and our special teams have suffered because of it.

Yes, the Hawks are Stanley Cup contenders. But this feels like a team that has pieces missing ... especially at top which flows to our bottom lines. That will show up big in the playoffs. It's how the Hawks exploited other teams in a long playoff series ... our quality depth at forward. And if our special teams continue to scuffle, our lack of quality depth will stick out in the post season.

For the most part I agree across the board, I just think it's easy to say a team was deeper once the win the ring. Last year going into the playoffs I had serious questions and saw it as a bonus if we won.

Was a huge fan of the move, but Vermette didn't do anything in a hawk uniform til the Ducks series, Teuvo was an extreme rookie and in the regular season seemingly afraid of his own shadow, Sharp was a mess off and on the ice, and the fourth line was as is. The fact is those guys and others all stepped up when needed, to me the competition hasn't improved or gotten the next huge threat like we did in Panarin, albeit we lost a good amount, Saad and Sharp weren't that explosive last year. At the same time the addition of Anisimov has paid huge dividends.

In addition I'm firmly behind Crawford this year, he's upped his game big time.

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
I'm out of the loop on this one, but what is the deal with Ladd vs Toews? I haven't heard anything concrete on this one.
And does anyone think the captain puts personal feelings in front of professionalism and more importantly -winning?

The last question was rhetorical. Really interested in the beef.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It was strongly rumored that Ladd had a problem with some of the leaders in the Hawks dressing room. Whether that included current members like Toews or former players like Sharpie, who knows.

But the longstanding rumor was that he had a beef with some of the 2010 Hawks.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
It was strongly rumored that Ladd had a problem with some of the leaders in the Hawks dressing room. Whether that included current members like Toews or former players like Sharpie, who knows.

But the longstanding rumor was that he had a beef with some of the 2010 Hawks.

Never heard that at all.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
The 'hawks are content with playing 4 D again in the playoffs ... look for a move for some depth on D and a 3rd line winger. Those of you thinking Ladd or Loui are a little off base. Think Dale Weise and Wiercioch. If they change their mind on D, think Kris Russell.

One trade we can guess is a 70% certainty is McNeil for a 4th round pick.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
tumblr_m5fb94kjJK1qk17n8o1_500.gif

You can just see the hatred

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For Jets captain and former Hawks teammate Andrew Ladd, it’s the leadership: “The way he prepares himself on and off the ice, year-round, it’s amazing to watch. So I think that rubs off on his teammates and definitely rubbed off on me when I was there. I think his will to win is probably second to none in the game. That, to me, is what separates him from other players. He comes up big in big games. When I was playing with him, you could always count on him to come up with a big play or a big goal at big times.â€
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/715365/jonathan-toews-value-goes-beyond-scoresheet

These two shouldn't be allowed in the same room.

ManChild20

Aug 11, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
The 'hawks are content with playing 4 D again in the playoffs ... look for a move for some depth on D and a 3rd line winger. Those of you thinking Ladd or Loui are a little off base. Think Dale Weise and Wiercioch. If they change their mind on D, think Kris Russell.

One trade we can guess is a 70% certainty is McNeil for a 4th round pick.

I like the idea of Kris Russell if they decide to go D.

JackStrawMan

Jun 26, 2015
Chicago, IL

Nice find on the quote

Lazerus makes my skin crawl though, the notion that Toewa value lies in the fact that he doesn't go for the points and glory is absurd, he doesn't choose not to score, it's just that difficult.

Can't wait til that guy moves to a different beat, quintessential example for how awful hockey coverage can be here in Chicago.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I think it's safe to say the Scuderi move was made to accomodate a deal or to allow two deals. Now, whether that deal happens tomorrow once they know if Scuderi clears (additional $3.9M AAV able to come back versus $5.9M AAAV) or right before the deadline is unknown, but this didn't happen just because Scuderi is bad. In a perfect world, I think they'd love to have a well-rested, emergency veteran available in the postseason if injuries or young guys struggle. They probably hope he clears. Hawks can make a couple moves now, especially if salary is retained. This is going to be a fun deadline. Really excited to see if the Hawks pull the trigger soon. Remember, Vermette happened a little before the deadline. I'm not trying to get people anxious, but there is a possibility they have some stuff lined up dependent on what happens with Scuderi. I'd be very shocked if he got claimed, but who the hell knows.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
There are variations of the story. Hard to tell what is real or not. None of it could be real for all any of us know.

I have no idea what's real or not either. Only what I heard from this board. But having been in a lockerroom at the D1 level, I can tell you that not every one gets along. It's to be expected with a pack of alpha dogs sharing a small space. It's not a question of whether if they like each other ... it's more about mutual respect.

But considering the Hawks have a close lockerroom, I suspect mgmt will ask the 3 captains for input regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad