What is the Lowest Corsi rating for a Stanley Cup champ ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What is the Lowest Corsi rating for a Stanley Cup champ ?
Corsi = CF% (close, 5v5)
I am interested in CF% and the Rank amongst the other teams.

The Kings won last year and they had the best CF% (close, 5v5)

/researching.

To answer the general question, yes corsi for% 5v5 can be used to predict playoff success. Fenwick close 5v5 is more accurate.

Higher fenwick close generally means you're a better team, and being a better team generally means you win more, but it doesn't guarantee anything, especially in the playoffs.

I might switch to Fenwick close .. probably do both.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
There was a thread a while back that used advanced stats of all the playoff teams and eliminated them based on historical parametres of past Cup champions to predict who would win the Cup and it was accurate. I really wish I could find it.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
zi0yJGp.jpg

That's for Fenwick Close, the lowest was '09 Pittsburgh, but that's mostly because they were a bad possession team overall until they fired Therrien and hired Bylsma halfway through the season. They would've been good overall if they had him all season.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
That's for Fenwick Close, the lowest was '09 Pittsburgh, but that's mostly because they were a bad possession team overall until they fired Therrien and hired Bylsma halfway through the season. They would've been good overall if they had him all season.
Just to go a little further on this; Pittsburgh was under 50% with Therrien and (IIRC) they were 54.9% under Byslma.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Just to go a little further on this; Pittsburgh was under 50% with Therrien and (IIRC) they were 54.9% under Byslma.

Yep, I didn't remember the exact numbers but I knew it was something like that.

Basically, unless you're over 50% Fenwick Close you have a very slim chance at going far in the playoffs.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Only results from the last 7 seasons are available.

The lowest was the Penguins (16th CF% rank, CF 49.2%)
The Stanley Cup champ was ranked #1 or #2 many times (5 of 7)= 71%.

uc1gi.jpg

When the first or second ranked team didn't win, they beat either a team ranked 1st or 4th.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Contender: 2007-2008 Pittsburgh Penguins: 46.5%
Champion: 2008-2009 Pittsburgh Penguins: 48.1%
Yep. That's what I found.
Cool Graphic. Thanks.
I think there should be a better way to display the relationship between Fenwick/Corsi and playoffs than that graphic though. Not sure what mind you :)
Interesting. That would have put their ranking at 4th.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
From what I recall seeing from old data, the Hurricanes were around 48% the year they won the cup.

HOLDITHERE*

Can this corsi thing just die now?

No?

I'll try again next week.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
So Winnipeg has a 6/7 chance of making the cup final.
:)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201415&sit=5v5close&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

I keep hearing ... Teams say Winnipeg is hard to play against.

So Calgary is gonna pick McDavid hopefully. Oh wait...

Hate those stats, the team with less shots isn't automatically the worse, it really depends on playing style etc..
Of course is shomewhat of a correlation between shots and quality, but not decisive if you ask me. You could also say that the team with the most points win, it's probably the same result

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
So Calgary is gonna pick McDavid hopefully. Oh wait...

Hate those stats, the team with less shots isn't automatically the worse, it really depends on playing style etc..
Of course is shomewhat of a correlation between shots and quality, but not decisive if you ask me. You could also say that the team with the most points win, it's probably the same result

You could say that, but you'd be wrong.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/04/14/20...dictions-advanced-analytics-hockey-fancystats

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
uc1gi.jpg

Stanley Cup winners and their regular season rankings

2006 Carolina Hurricanes: 3rd in Goals For, 20th in Goals Against
2007 Anaheim Ducks: 8th in GF, 7th in GA
2008 Detroit Red Wings: 3rd in GF, 1st in GA
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins: 6th in GF, 17th in GA
2010 Chicago Blackhawks: 3rd in GF, 6th in GA
2011 Boston Bruins: 5th in GF, 2nd in GA
2012 Los Angeles Kings: 29th in GF, 2nd in GA
2013 Chicago Blackhawks: 2nd in GF, 1st in GA
2014 Los Angeles Kings: 26th in GF, 1st in GA

2015 Chicago Blackhawks: 17th in GF, 2nd in GA
2015 Tampa Bay Lightning: 1st in GF, 12th in GA

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
zi0yJGp.jpg

What an absolute mess this is.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Yep, I didn't remember the exact numbers but I knew it was something like that.

Basically, unless you're over 50% Fenwick Close you have a very slim chance at going far in the playoffs.

This is the stuff that makes me roll my eyes about 'advanced stats' hockey.

A. It isn't advanced, it's so absurdly obvious to anyone who's played hockey that good players and teams teams get more shots than bad players and teams it should go without saying.

B. Everytime something that goes against the model comes up, people try to make the case that "this example doesn't count" or make an adjustment so the winning team gets a bonus. The stats are the stats you boost the shots totals because your up by two just because it's inconvenient for the narrative you push. It makes no sense.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
This is the stuff that makes me roll my eyes about 'advanced stats' hockey.

A. It isn't advanced, it's so absurdly obvious to anyone who's played hockey that good players and teams teams get more shots than bad players and teams it should go without saying.

B. Everytime something that goes against the model comes up, people try to make the case that "this example doesn't count" or make an adjustment so the winning team gets a bonus. The stats are the stats you boost the shots totals because your up by two just because it's inconvenient for the narrative you push. It makes no sense.

That's a bad thing? If there's a model that doesn't fit with the results too closely, shouldn't we try to identify what the exceptions are that are making the model go wrong, and tweak the model until it works better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad