TSN Radio What is the deal with Steve Simmons against the world???

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
I posted the Dangle video in the other thread, but he touches on this topic about MSM versus the Blog and indie reporters in general. He really said good things about it and it does make sense.

Thanks for the link.

A bit of a side. I tried listening to his podcast once. He sounds exactly like the old Yogi Bear from the early Hanna-Barbera cartoons that I watched as a kid. I was waiting for him (Dangle) to call out for Boo Boo!

Then you have his "yes men" who force these loud, annoying, fake laughs at Dangles stupid jokes.

Downtown27

Jun 6, 2012
Wow...just, wow.

I don't much like Simmons myself but to hear people say things like blog articles are better quality and better crafted are completely mind-blowing (the writing itself may certainly be better for some of them--the Sun has their people write to a grade 10 reading level after many readership studies--but that's not what is meant by quality unless I'm very much mistaken).

You seriously think someone with no access whatsoever to people and things being "reported" on is in a better position to convey this information to others?

Staggering.

Blogs are opinion--opinion is not reporting. Sure, someone can analyze stats and may even do it well, but it's still not reporting.

Imagine if the only source of information you had available to you were blogs on the Internet--no verification, no real names, no responsibility.

Blogs in most cases are rehashes and alternate takes on what the media is already reporting. This is so because most bloggers, as previously stated, have no access whatsoever to the people and places involved--it is impossible for them to report anything.

Just something to keep in mind as it seems a lot of folk here seem hell-bent on the idea a kid with an opinion and a computer is a much better source of information than the people who were actually there.

But maybe I'm just mis-interpreting.

Don't get me wrong, there are almost certainly bloggers and others out there who are indeed superior in every way to some currently employed as reporters. If those people stick to good journalistic principles and prove their reliability and ability to report the facts in an accurate and timely manner, they will eventually gain the level of skill and reputation required to be a trusted news source.

Kinda like newspaper reporters.

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Wow...just, wow.

I don't much like Simmons myself but to hear people say things like blog articles are better quality and better crafted are completely mind-blowing (the writing itself may certainly be better for some of them--the Sun has their people write to a grade 10 reading level after many readership studies--but that's not what is meant by quality unless I'm very much mistaken).

You seriously think someone with no access whatsoever to people and things being "reported" on is in a better position to convey this information to others?

Staggering.

Blogs are opinion--opinion is not reporting. Sure, someone can analyze stats and may even do it well, but it's still not reporting.

Imagine if the only source of information you had available to you were blogs on the Internet--no verification, no real names, no responsibility.

Blogs in most cases are rehashes and alternate takes on what the media is already reporting. This is so because most bloggers, as previously stated, have no access whatsoever to the people and places involved--it is impossible for them to report anything.

Just something to keep in mind as it seems a lot of folk here seem hell-bent on the idea a kid with an opinion and a computer is a much better source of information than the people who were actually there.

Don't get me wrong, there are almost certainly bloggers and others out there who are indeed superior in every way to some currently employed as reporters. If those people stick to good journalistic principles and prove their reliability and ability to report the facts in an accurate and timely manner, they will eventually gain the level of skill and reputation required to be a trusted news source.

Nobody's arguing reporters vs bloggers, people are arguing traditional sports analysts vs bloggers. Most contemporary "official" sports analysis is just no-substance opinion pieces.

There's a difference in reporting and blogging, but there's also a difference between reporting and Steve Simmons.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wow...just, wow.

Staggering.

Simmons doesn't actually report much of anything. His sourc s must be few and far between because he rarely presents any real facts with his "insider" connections. Usually just vague ideas you could have easily assumed anyway.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Hey guys, Sens fan here. For years I've had a drinking rant that other fans don't dislike the Leafs or leaf fans, you're actually reacting to dum-dums like Simmons and Cox, who appear in national media more than the loser reporters in other markets. e.g. I love talking hockey with he Leaf fans at work. I dislike a 10 minute segment on TSN about how Garnett Exelby will become one of the top defencemen in the league.

IMO, dude creates a stink that sticks on Leaf fans. Like when he took to twitter to argue that Kadri was one of the top defensive forwards in the league!!

Ace88*

Hey guys, Sens fan here. For years I've had a drinking rant that other fans don't dislike the Leafs or leaf fans, you're actually reacting to dum-dums like Simmons and Cox, who appear in national media more than the loser reporters in other markets. e.g. I love talking hockey with he Leaf fans at work. I dislike a 10 minute segment on TSN about how Garnett Exelby will become one of the top defencemen in the league.

IMO, dude creates a stink that sticks on Leaf fans. Like when he took to twitter to argue that Kadri was one of the top defensive forwards in the league!!

wat.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Not exactly true.

The Sun is written to a sixth or seventh grade level while the Star is written to a ninth grade level.

Blogs are opinion--opinion is not reporting.

Do you know the difference between a reporter and a columnist? Simmons is a columnist and offering opinions is what columnists do.

Also blogs can report and are not, necessarily, opinion.

I'm not sure you really grasp the definition of 'report' as it is being used here.

And yes, some bloggers will report and others will have access to sources.

Newspapers are not, necessarily, trusted sources. Hell, some are barely a step above the National Enquirer and yet are considered legitimate newspapers (take a look at some of the British tabloids like the Daily Mail). Your comments here are not much more than generalizations as you seem to lack an in depth understanding of the media.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Wait...what? I don't pay attention to Simmons so I missed that.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Now, that's not fair. We don't think Sens fans are idiots because of Bruce Garrioch. We have other reasons for thinking that. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00