What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
"Don't lift for failure". I know my biggest mistake while trying to get stronger was that I would push myself too hard until I got sore rather than stop after feeling the strong burn.

So much this. You can't out exercise a poor diet.

Wish I learned that at 25 instead of 35.

I was lucky that I did know that at 25, but I got carried away that it didn't benefit me as I used to eat obsessively healthy in that I never touched any white foods like rice or bread, only ate fruit and veggies and so on to the point where I wasn't gaining any muscle. I was in shape but pale and weaker.

I've since learned about balance. I'm not afraid of "white" food anymore and long as its not in the form of pizza or doughnuts. I eat white pasta, rice and bread every so often but do not rely on them daily.

Last edited:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
As a doctor who has lifted weight for the past 12 years, is now hitting towards that 'middle age' area of life, and have taken personal study to athlete's and lifters lifestyles and lifting habits, there are a few things I have taken with me. I am 6'2'' and 190 pounds. I am not a huge guy. I am not the strongest man. But I am consistent and realistic. And I have had to research and overcome quite a few of my own sports and athletic injuries and have helped numerous patients do so as well.

In no particular order:

1. Be consistent, the turtle wins the race. Especially for you young guys and girls out there. If you are 20 realize that you have hopefully another 50 years to train, and about 20 years to train and feel good and make progress, assuming you are natural, which most people are. Don't hit it hard for 3 months and then barely train for the next 2 months. Be realistic. I feel I can train safely and have a balance in my life if I train 3 days a week. I could probably do 4, but I like 3. If I have to, I will do 2 days, and one day at home I will train with body weight and dumbels or bands. Key is, train year round. Except:

2. Except: take training breaks. Long term damage to tendons and tissue, through training, especially as you get older, or acquire more injuries, require you to take breaks. This doesn't mean sitting on you ass. It means instead of lifting 4 days a week, walk on a treadmill for 40 minutes two days a week and do yoga once. Stretch for 20 minutes a day for 7 days. Use a lacrosse ball and foam roller to work the beef jerky out the best you can. AND REFEED.

3. Eat well, and eat enough. I can't stress this point enough. This may be #1 even though I don't have them ranked. Know where you are on your weight and strength, know where you want to be, and eat healthy, dense meals. Do NOT be afraid of healthy carb foods. They will make you grow. Eat a lot on both training days and on non training days. Meal prep. Stay away from junk. Eat enough vegetables and fruits. Eat enough fermented foods. Drink enough water. Take supplements like BCAA's, creatine, B-complex, D, and magnesium.

4. Perform weekly mobility work. Do not train yourself into a cage of strength and no athleticism. As you age, you WILL get stiffer and have a decreased range of motion. This is natural. Get mobilizing and get stretching, and get comfy with the amazing discomfort doing this brings.

5. Try different approaches to your fitness. Some may seem to work better for you. 5x5 or higher volume total body, cardio on same day versus other day, dumbel vs barbel work, different angle, cables, unilateral work. And also learn to try different things if you find yourself with injuries or discomfort.

6. Train postural muscles and little muscles. The weak links. Rotator cuff work, lateral knee movements, internal/external leg work, hamstring work, mid trap work, and of course, glute work.

7. Don't work through new pain. You will regret it, I promise. That's a surgical referral or at the very least months off of training recipe. Elbow pain? Rest it. Start slow, doing eccentric work. Do tissue work on it and mobility. Long term joint problems of the tendonous type require a walking of a line approach. Degraded tendons need direct work, blood flow, and tissue work to stimulate remodeling, but one should know where the line is of further injury. Long term tenon injuries will break the rule of 'no pain no gain', but it should be slight and should not 'flare up' for weeks after rehab. Tissue work, direct tendon stimulation via a work load, rest, sleep, and TIME will remedy the situation. My patellar tendons became painful for an entire year after two years of training mixed with too many weekends of large alpine hiking, with no enough rest. It took 6 months of decline board eccentric squats with both legs planted, to then start slow mild weight leg press, to then start LIGHT barbell squats. I still am making progress, and it's been frustrating to no end.

I've dealt with the same thing with my elbows. An elbow brace worn during work, eccentric wrist curls (pronated), finger bands for extensor work, and Chiropractic and ART done on the lateral epicondyle and just distal fixed them. I still am working on strengthening my elbows and still wear an elbow brace (essentially take load off the extensor tendons) on heavier push/pull days. Lastly, GRIP strength will be of major help in not developing elbow issues in the first place, as will not doing the biggest range of motion of every exercise. It's ok to perform 75% ROM.

8. Sleep. This is all I need to say. SLEEP.

9. Stay out of relations with friends, significant others, family, work that you feel like you are made less of or suppressed by. I've seen so many people start to get injured when they feel suppressed or feel like they don't get to keep their integrity or choice due to someone else. I know this is simply my opinion but we know that the mind has a major effect on physiology. Be in environments which you find to be positive and where you flourish and prosper.

10. Don't let your ego disarm that thing in your head that says this last rep or this much weight is a good idea. Know when to walk away.

11. Get help with your body. See a PT, Chiropractor (find one that takes radiographs and is a modern doctor, all elite athletes have one for a reason), I've seen naturopaths help people quite a bit. Massage therapists of the deep tissue kind are also very helpful. I've seen sauna's help people too if used properly.

12. Drugs and alcohol are not good for the body. I don't care what anyone says, most of the medical community, certainly all my colleagues across medicine, therapists, chiropractors, PT's, surgeons, all agree. This includes many Rx drugs. I can get down with things like CBD, but not THC, etc. Don't discredit my entire post because you may disagree with this point.

13. If you are not an athlete competing anymore, don't train like you are. Be happy you are exercising and stay injury free.

I probably have many other suggestions but I saw this thread and thought I would add to it.

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
For a guy that researches everything he does, youll find it odd that I didnt actually look deep in creatine. I figure at the cheap price it comes for, why not.

Upright rows are terrible. Even with no weights its a movement that pinches your rotator cuff and it recruits way too much muscle to be efficient.

I’ve talked to a few dietitians and physicians on this and they all seem to agree that the research at this point shows that it helps but not that much. I’m in the same boat as you. So cheap that you might as well.

Theres nothing that supplements do that food doesnt do.

It also always depends on what you mean by supplements. None of them are essential, few of them are good and the only ones i consume are whey and creatine.

Assuming you have a quality whey, which is rarely the case, you get cheap protein spike in a few seconds. So thats valuable but it doesnt do anything that a chicken breast doesnt do.

Agreed on supplements. What they do provide though, is convenience. If you’re at a gym it’s difficult to get protein and carbs in within 30 minutes of working out, so whey with some milk is my go to there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Listen to Mrb1p (actually no-one told me that so I'm telling you :D ).

Reactions: Mrb1p

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I try to follow the aptly named (by none other than me) rule of 100's.

More than 100 grams of proteins every day and less than 100 grams of carbs every day.

Less than 50 grams of carbs on off days.

Can I ask why less than 100 grams of carbs? That’s 400 calories from carbs..barely anything.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can I ask why less than 100 grams of carbs? That’s 400 calories from carbs..barely anything.
Thats what a low carb diet is. It is the template I use to lose weights. 100g of carbs on training days and less than 50gs on rest days. I didnt like going to 0g of carbs and this is not based on scientific evidence, aside from xarbs targeting. I dont know if its enough to hit ketosis, probably on the 50gs days... keep in mind that im a performance based lifter, as opposed to someone that lifts for looks only.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Thats what a low carb diet is. It is the template I use to lose weights. 100g of carbs on training days and less than 50gs on rest days. I didnt like going to 0g of carbs and this is not based on scientific evidence, aside from xarbs targeting. I dont know if its enough to hit ketosis, probably on the 50gs days... keep in mind that im a performance based lifter, as opposed to someone that lifts for looks only.

Ah okay. Didn’t realize you’re trying to lose weight. Still wouldn’t recommend such a small amount of carbs but I don’t know your situation of course.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ah okay. Didn’t realize you’re trying to lose weight. Still wouldn’t recommend such a small amount of carbs but I don’t know your situation of course.
Im not trying to lose weight, it is the template I use for fatloss though.

Its just regular low carb keto diet. You wont hit ketosis with a higher carb intake.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
"Everyone starts somewhere."

You'll realize this once you step inside any gym.
This is so true.

And dont be scared to ask advices in the gym. So many times Ive seen people do what ever and then they usually just quit.

Anytime someone comes to me for a question Im happy to answer. Dont bother me with BS though, come with a question that is worth answering.

So many times I see the "fat" and unfit dude in the corner acting like every one is judging him but I actually look up to these people. Trying to change their life for the better and sometimes its hard to not just go to them and set them straight about it.

Reactions: LarKing

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
When your a teen stretch before and after workouts. Don't lift too heavy know your limits. Eat good and drink lots of water. Don't overdue it you don't want tendonitis.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
After spending 6 hours in emergency after the a$$-hat beside me had his 45 point plate slide off his bar and land on my toe while I was benching, breaking 3 of my toes......

"If you were sitting on the couch eating Cheetos like the rest of us you wouldn’t be here having cotton stuck between your toes............." - Some ER nurse sez........

:laugh::skeptic:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
After spending 6 hours in emergency after the a$$-hat beside me had his 45 point plate slide off his bar and land on my toe while I was benching, breaking 3 of my toes......

"If you were sitting on the couch eating Cheetos like the rest of us you would be here having cotton stuck between your toes............." - Some ER nurse sez........

No pain. No gain. :sarcasm:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
A big one I’ve come to appreciate recently is to really dial it in mentally. Never going into a set thinking you’re only going to do this many reps because you just don’t have it today. Everybody has days where it feels more like a chore, but putting in top effort even on those days feels so much better than just half assing it.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
I am more about the individual rep, length , time etc that you are aiming for doesn't matter in the long run. What matters is staying consistent, motivated and injury free. Keep a log and you will be able to see progress that you are proud of even if what you can do from day to day varies. It is very rewarding to check what you did years from today and see how you progressed.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I am more about the individual rep, length , time etc that you are aiming for doesn't matter in the long run. What matters is staying consistent, motivated and injury free. Keep a log and you will be able to see progress that you are proud of even if what you can do from day to day varies. It is very rewarding to check what you did years from today and see how you progressed.

I love keeping a log. Few things feel better then seeing your improvement written down. Sometimes it makes me a little too competitive with myself haha but that’s a big drive thing for me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

"If you were sitting on the couch eating Cheetos like the rest of us you would be here having cotton stuck between your toes............." - Some ER nurse sez........

What a moron.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I’ve talked to a few dietitians and physicians on this and they all seem to agree that the research at this point shows that it helps but not that much. I’m in the same boat as you. So cheap that you might as well.

Agreed on supplements. What they do provide though, is convenience. If you’re at a gym it’s difficult to get protein and carbs in within 30 minutes of working out, so whey with some milk is my go to there.

What makes you think it's necessary to get protein and carbs within 30 minutes of working out?
Muscle Protein Synthesis is elevated for 24-72 hours depending on your training age.

Last edited:
Reactions: irunthepeg

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
What makes you think it's necessary to get protein and carbs within 30 minutes of working out?
Muscle Protein Synthesis is elevated for 24-72 hours depending on your training age.

I believe you’re correct on the second part but early recovery is the first 30 minutes after the workout. Essential to get carbs especially in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad