What is the best advice you ever were told/read when it comes to fitness?

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Videos by Mateusz M from YouTube "Believe", "Why Do We Fall", 'Dream", or 'Unbroken". It lights a fire in me that gets me motivated to take on anything.

It's a little OT, but some of the best snippets I've heard are in there. That, and Arnold's "6 Rules to Success"

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Understand your goals and simply just "be better".

To elaborate: I was like many, I envied those with "Hollywood style" physiques. However, the question I was asked was "are you ready to spend hours in the gym and have a very strict/clean diet?

That all kind of hit home for me. I didn't/don't want to be an unhealthy fatass, but I didn't (honestly more like couldn't due to family) want to spend hours in the gym a week. And I didn't want to completely give up my favorite foods. I found a good mix, and although I'm not completely happy with my physique. It's a good mix between in shape and enjoying a lifestyle I like.

Reactions: BerthMania

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
"Everyone starts somewhere". Really a simple one but one I heard when I started a few years back and now something I tell all my friends when I hear "I want to start working out but I'm so out of shape".

To the bolded, isn't that a perfect reason to start working out?

Reactions: Primary Assist

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
To the bolded, isn't that a perfect reason to start working out?

Yes but when people are out of shape and don't know what to do to healthily get back in good shape, it can be daunting to attempt. I seem to get the question all the time of "can you help me eat right and get in shape" since I study nutrition and work out on the side, only to see their interest fade in the next few days simply because it can seem like such a huge task when you're starting off.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I get down on myself sometimes with regards to my physique. What keeps me going is to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day. Keeps me grounded

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Understand your goals and simply just "be better".

To elaborate: I was like many, I envied those with "Hollywood style" physiques. However, the question I was asked was "are you ready to spend hours in the gym and have a very strict/clean diet?

That all kind of hit home for me. I didn't/don't want to be an unhealthy fatass, but I didn't (honestly more like couldn't due to family) want to spend hours in the gym a week. And I didn't want to completely give up my favorite foods. I found a good mix, and although I'm not completely happy with my physique. It's a good mix between in shape and enjoying a lifestyle I like.

This is really solid advice and something I'm coming to grips with now. It just takes too much effort and discipline to achieve that "dream" body. Not to mention, just like weight loss, that journey doesn't end when you reach that point of getting that "dream" body. You still have to work hard to maintain it and I just don't care enough over the long-term. Like you said, I'm just happy with not being overweight. Also, what's the point of having a rocking body when it's just going to be hidden underneath a shirt 10 months out of the year? :laugh:

Reactions: Duck Off

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
2 things:

1) Make it a lifestyle change, not a diet or strength regimen. Once I altered my lifestyle, it was the best advice I ever heard.

2) Never, ever, ever sacrifice a number over form. Form will give you better results than trying to chase a number with bad form.

Reactions: BHD

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't compare yourself to others. You're only competing against yourself. That's probably the best advice I could offer.

Also, do whatever works for you. Don't listen to other people saying that their way is the only way, or that there's only one correct way to work out. Do what feels right for you and what makes you happy.

I recently started incorporating more dynamic exercises into my training program and just in the last couple of days started putting more focus on calisthenics. It has really reinvigorated my training.

I was getting pretty fed up with just lifting weights and started to struggle a bit with motivation, but now my training is fun again and it's really cool to challenge yourself and try and get better and master certain movements, instead of, as in lifting, just adding more weight or doing more reps.

It has also really strengthened my core, which is useful in every aspect of life, and hockey in particular, so that's another benefit.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Don't compare yourself to others. You're only competing against yourself. That's probably the best advice I could offer.

Also, do whatever works for you. Don't listen to other people saying that their way is the only way, or that there's only one correct way to work out. Do what feels right for you and what makes you happy.

I recently started incorporating more dynamic exercises into my training program and just in the last couple of days started putting more focus on calisthenics. It has really reinvigorated my training.

I was getting pretty fed up with just lifting weights and started to struggle a bit with motivation, but now my training is fun again and it's really cool to challenge yourself and try and get better and master certain movements, instead of, as in lifting, just adding more weight or doing more reps.

It has also really strengthened my core, which is useful in every aspect of life, and hockey in particular, so that's another benefit.

This is so true. I keep that in mind when people scoff at me when I say I eat few carbs or don't eat breakfast ever. But it works for me so I don't really care.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I think that science should not be ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->