What is the 3rd most popular Canadian team?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
As a lifelong lower mainlander, I disagree. I find it to be a very bandwagon city. Always have.

I also like the Canucks, so I'm not just being a salty Oilers fan

What do you mean? Look at all this passion!

dsc01552.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: GOilers88

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
To be fair, that was just Surrey having a night out downtown.

Don't forget Duncan and Nanaimo too apparently.

As someone who was living about 5 blocks from the riot, I've never seen Vancouverites find more towns and cities to blame on something instead of Vancouver. :laugh:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
As someone who was living about 5 blocks from the riot, I've never seen Vancouverites find more towns and cities to blame on something instead of Vancouver. :laugh:
Lol. I'm a surrey boy. I think the majority of charges laid were on Surrey residents lol.

I remember meeting friends DT for the game that night. I was late and the first period had started while I was on the train. Some young guys got on at the Scott Road station, and I shit you not were talking about causing all sorts of shit.

Long before the game was over lol.

True story, one of the dudes that was arrested for beating the shit out of that guy was a friend I grew up playing ball with when we were kids. Turned into a real piece of shit. Guess where he was from, haha

• Wow
Reactions: Senor Catface

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers have a very loyal fanbase. Community fought hard in the late 90s and 2000s to keep that team. Generally have a fantastic presence in the community too.

No arguing in terms of raw numbers though Vancouver has the 3rd largest fan base though.

The raw numbers show there's way more Oiler fans spending a considerable amount more money on their team.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lol. I'm a surrey boy. I think the majority of charges laid were on Surrey residents lol.

I remember meeting friends DT for the game that night. I was late and the first period had started while I was on the train. Some young guys got on at the Scott Road station, and I shit you not were talking about causing all sorts of shit.

Long before the game was over lol.

True story, one of the dudes that was arrested for beating the shit out of that guy was a friend I grew up playing ball with when we were kids. Turned into a real piece of shit. Guess where he was from, haha
Most of what happened was pinned on out of towners, multiple people said before the game that guys were talking about it win/lose. Was less about hockey and more about stirring shit up

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I am surprised you’d even admit from being there lol

Consider Cost of Living in both provinces, you’ll notice a stark difference.
I'm proud to say I survived it, but then I remember I'm still young and it will probably get me eventually.

I was working in Yellowknife years ago and when we first got there we started talking to the local guys on site. They asked where we were from and everyone said Prince George and the locals just smiled and nodded. I said Surrey and one guy looks at me with a straight face and goes "shit man, I've heard a lot of stories about that place".

Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm proud to say I survived it, but then I remember I'm still young and it will probably get me eventually.

I was working in Yellowknife years ago and when we first got there we started talking to the local guys on site. They asked where we were from and everyone said Prince George and the locals just smiled and nodded. I said Surrey and one guy looks at me with a straight face and goes "shit man, I've heard a lot of stories about that place".
We always used to get into arguments about who was worse. People from Surrey or people from Duncan, Surrey always won but we won’t get into why on here :laugh:.

Duncan is more like Millwoods

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it's pretty clearly Vancouver on the strength of market size. A lot more "fair weather" fans (both literally and figuratively), but fans nonetheless. They've also basically got the whole of BC to themselves, and until recently...a bunch of the PNW south of the border. Plus like the dozen people in the Yukon.

The Alberta teams would be closer, and generally more committed win or lose, and the weather is always bad in Winter...but they're splitting a slightly smaller market in two. So they lose out overall...though if you just lumped together "Alberta Team Fans" they'd take 3rd place pretty comfortably.

One other thing they have going for them is...Saskatchewan fans. And just fans dotted all over the place from the Dynasty years as well as the McDavey era. Whereas Vancouver fans...you don't really see many outside of BC, Yukon, NWT, and the folks who have leaked into Alberta. They seem practically nonexistent East of Berta, aside from the odd BC expats littered around.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Most of what happened was pinned on out of towners, multiple people said before the game that guys were talking about it win/lose. Was less about hockey and more about stirring shit up

Yeah. It's all fun to point and laugh at Vancouver rioting because they lost a sports game...but it was abundantly clear that there was a whole other element of socioeconomic underpinning to that whole thing that had absolutely nothing to do with hockey. There are some pretty heavy duty alienation things and cost of living anxiety going on around the lower mainland communities and Vancouver proper, that were already massively growing around that time.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah. It's all fun to point and laugh at Vancouver rioting because they lost a sports game...but it was abundantly clear that there was a whole other element of socioeconomic underpinning to that whole thing that had absolutely nothing to do with hockey. There are some pretty heavy duty alienation things and cost of living anxiety going on around the lower mainland communities and Vancouver proper, that were already massively growing around that time.
We could always pile on the multiple edmonton relocation fiasco’s, couple with the 06 riot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad