What is the 3rd most popular Canadian team?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I have no sympathy for Ottawa fans in that regard. Sens fans constantly whine and cry that the arena is such a bad location the drive is horrible boo hoo. Yet fans of other teams prove they will travel to Ottawa (highly doubt the other fans are all locals) to watch their teams play. So Sens fans can put up or shut up about other fans in their arena.
I didn't get it until I lived in Ottawa for a spell. The arena is in the middle of suburban hell that's hard to access by transit and a longish drive for most fans. There's nothing to do aside from watching the game itself, you just go home right after. And you'll be stuck in the parking lot for as long as half an hour trying to get out of a sold out game. Similar reason as to why Panthers have historically struggled so much with attendance.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Along with all this, the Canucks also win the overseas fans too!

IMG_1473.jpeg

Go fith! 🤣

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Along with all this, the Canucks also win the overseas fans too!

View attachment 843398

Go fith! 🤣
'Overseas' doesn't count because they just latch onto whatever is popular or follow a single player that was born in and or around their area. Fairweather 'fans' IMO.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Oilers fan here and I'm going to say the Canucks.

And that's simply based on the size of the market. Metro Vancouver has nearly twice the population the Alberta capital region does. And then you have the rest of BC, which itself is larger than Alberta (ca. 5 vs 4 million residents) and doesn't split the fandom among 2 teams.

Now at least in my (personal and very annecdotal) experience, the Oilers have more of a following in other parts of the country - I lived in Winnipeg in the mid 2000s for instance and there were a ton of Oilers fans there before the Jets returned. Surely many switched allegiances since, but juding by Winnipeg home games vs Edmonton, many did not). Also, I'd be willing to bet that a larger percentage of Edmontonians are Oilers fans compared to the percentage of Vancouver residents who actively cheer for the Canucks. Still, the difference in population is too great. If Vancouver stays competitive for a few years, I think we'll see way more of those casuals / current non-hockey fans jump on the wagon of success and the popularity of the team will really baloon. The Oilers are maxed-out in their fandom. Vancouver has a room to expand into.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
This goes well beyond social media. Vancouver is a ghost town for fans when they suck.

It's probably a good thing objectively, what incentive does the team have to improve if fans continue to sell out games for bottom of the barrel seasons?

The league basically forced the Oilers to improve with McDavid, management sure didn't care up until that point.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
It amazes me how much fans argue about this :) Caring about how popular your team is means you you don't have anything better to care about ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'll say this, we are talking about attraction outside of their local fanbase but inside the fanbase, it's hard to see more dedicated fans than the Flames fans have for their own team. It really feel like a village cheering for their town team "do or die" type of vibe. If only all fanbases would be as in love for their teams than Flames fans...

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's probably a good thing objectively, what incentive does the team have to improve if fans continue to sell out games for bottom of the barrel seasons?

The league basically forced the Oilers to improve with McDavid, management sure didn't care up until that point.
Teams go through phases. It's a natural cycle.

Despite the DoD, Edmonton was still strongly supported by the fans. Whether that makes sense or not is another discussion. Personally, I think dropping your team because they struggle and jumping back on when they win is pretty lame, but to each their own.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

Despite the DoD, Edmonton was still strongly supported by the fans. Whether that makes sense or not is another discussion. Personally, I think dropping your team because they struggle and jumping back on when they win is pretty lame, but to each their own.
Good thing neither fan base does that

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

There's just too much to do here and COL is far too high to justify spending $1k+ taking the wife and kids to see the local team get shit kicked.

Personally I strongly support pressuring the team to be better by saving my money. A ten year sellout streak during a ten year playoff drought just emboldens shitty management decisions.

edit for clarity: i don't expect a cup contender every year, just don't be mathematically eliminated by January.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
As a lifelong lower mainlander, I disagree. I find it to be a very bandwagon city. Always have.

I also like the Canucks, so I'm not just being a salty Oilers fan
As someone who lived in the lower mainland for over 30 years, I know that it’s wrong. Both have probably an equal amount of loyal fans, the problem is with Vancouver being so big, the “bandwagon” fans are much easier to spot

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
This goes well beyond social media. Vancouver is a ghost town for fans when they suck.
First of all, gross exaggeration. Secondly, to the extent what you're saying is true, I'm glad that people have better things to do in Vancouver than show up to boo a perennially mismanaged loser. Oilers fans kept showing up to that building in the wake of absolutely gross incompetence and "old boys club-ism" that far exceeded the worst of Benning. Or at least that's what they like to tell you. It makes no sense to me to fill the pockets of people who are actively screwing you and destroying the thing you love for years on end. Many Oilers fans on this board seem to take great pride in it, though they also like to overlook the fact that attendance numbers did decline during the horrible years. In any case, it's bizarre.

Last edited:

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Edmonton, just by virtue of having Connor McDavid, one of, if not the, best players in The NHL.

Last edited:

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020

The Oilers weren't just struggling. They were being actively destroyed by horrendous management caused by an owner who was more interested in rubbing elbows with his (idiot) childhood heroes than putting together a solid team for the dedicated fans of your city. Continuing to pay that guy top dollar to go and watch that crap was dumb, not "passionate". Catch a game in person here and there, sure. But season tickets? For that? Unless you're rolling in it or you're a company looking for freebies to hand out to clients, you're signing up to be actively disrespected.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
As someone who lived in the lower mainland for over 30 years, I know that it’s wrong. Both have probably an equal amount of loyal fans, the problem is with Vancouver being so big, the “bandwagon” fans are much easier to spot
Agree to disagree.

First of all, gross exaggeration. Secondly, to the extent what you're saying is true, I'm glad that people have better things to do in Vancouver than show up to boo a perennially mismanaged loser. Oilers fans kept showing up to that building in the wake of absolutely gross incompetence and "old boys club-ism" that far exceeded the worst of Benning. Or at least that's what they like to tell you. It makes no sense to me to fill the pockets of people who are actively screwing you and destroying the thing you love for years on end. Many Oilers fans on this board seem to take great pride in it, though they also like to overlook the fact that attendance numbers did decline during the horrible years. In any case, it's bizarre.
Feel free to get bent out of shape over my opinion. I just call it like I see it.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
My friend. I believe I was doing exactly what you claim to be doing. What do you think, I'm sitting over here frothing at the mouth? Lol.
Both fanbases have a bandwagon fan base, all teams do. It’s just more noticeable with larger markets

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Oilers still have fans after the decade of darkness... Elite fans
Oilers have a very loyal fanbase. Community fought hard in the late 90s and 2000s to keep that team. Generally have a fantastic presence in the community too.

No arguing in terms of raw numbers though Vancouver has the 3rd largest fan base though.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably one of Vegas or Colorado, both are honorary Canadian teams for outting Edmonton in hilarious fashions
And yet... No riots after in beautiful Edmonton, Alberta. Much better real estate pricing as well.

I'll see myself out

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
And yet... No riots after in beautiful Edmonton, Alberta. Much better real estate pricing as well.

I'll see myself out
They did, in 06. You need to make the finals in order to riot!

Edmonton also plays second fiddle when it comes to riots :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad