What is the #1 need for the Hurricanes right now?

What is the number 1 need?

• Improved production from the defence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improved defence from the forward

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Could we stop using the adjective "Ferland-esque"? We are seriously overvaluing that guy. He played 14 games this season for Vancouver and had 1 goal and was a -3. We fell in love with that guy because he had a decent year for us, but he is absolutely not the benchmark. Do we want a guy that just hits everything that moves, racks up good numbers when he gets top six time, and then disappears? I don't think that's a guy we want. I suspect we just want to turn Tomahawk Foegele into a more physical guy. What we want is a guy who can be mean/pesty/effective. We want our own Marchand, not our own Ferland.
A Thachuk type player. Good, physical, pisses the other team off, and doesn't back down.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s fair to say Ferland-esque because the whole personality of the team changed led by him. We actually watched the team turn into what we want them to be now with him. Who cares what he did after? It makes the point pretty clearly on what we want. “Someone who makes an impact the way that guy did...” is what we want. Call it Tkachuk or a power forward. It all means the same thing. No need to bag on the guy just because you didn’t think he was worth the fuss.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ferland was certainly impactful to the team when he could play and play healthy, but I feel like that style was more attributable to more grinders on the team last year and Brindy's first year of run through a wall for the coach stuff. I really don't think Ferland made a bunch of guys play way differently in their games. We want that style, it's about adding multiple guys that play it (and hopefully still bring skill, cause we don't need to go back in that direction) than just adding one guy.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Could we stop using the adjective "Ferland-esque"? We are seriously overvaluing that guy. He played 14 games this season for Vancouver and had 1 goal and was a -3. We fell in love with that guy because he had a decent year for us, but he is absolutely not the benchmark. Do we want a guy that just hits everything that moves, racks up good numbers when he gets top six time, and then disappears? I don't think that's a guy we want. I suspect we just want to turn Tomahawk Foegele into a more physical guy. What we want is a guy who can be mean/pesty/effective. We want our own Marchand, not our own Ferland.

We want a healthy Ferland.

I also would like to win the Powerball and have my entire family be immune from Covid-19, so....

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I 100% disagree with the premise of this statement.
Ferland was certainly impactful to the team when he could play and play healthy, but I feel like that style was more attributable to more grinders on the team last year and Brindy's first year of run through a wall for the coach stuff. I really don't think Ferland made a bunch of guys play way differently in their games. We want that style, it's about adding multiple guys that play it (and hopefully still bring skill, cause we don't need to go back in that direction) than just adding one guy.
Well I never said he MADE guys play different. I said he led the charge. He was on the first line playing that way from the get go. It’s contagious. He set the tone early on, and guys like McGinn and Foegele followed. I think Dehaan played a big role in being gritty and physical and that also rubbed off, guys like Faulk were rejuvenated. Since we’re looking for a forward to bring exactly that style of play....or at the same time willing to accept a guy that bring elements of it preferably with some skill as well, it’s ridiculous to say “he wasn’t that good anyway, we’re not calling it Ferland-esque”. Of course we’re referring to an element we lack, one we lacked since that guy was playing healthy. Call it whatever you like, but we’re obviously referring to it.

Regardless of who you personally think was responsible for the turn the player that apparently will now forever be unnamed....by pure coincidence....happened to embody pretty much what we all want in an incoming player. Let’s call it truculence on the main board and see how they like it...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You think maybe Captain Justin Williams had something to do with that hard working truculence? And you think maybe his re-emergence early this year might have been related to our playoff push? If you had to point to one person being that leadership difference maker, would you point to Justin Williams or Micheal Ferland?

I mean, I know what I think that answer is, but your mileage may vary.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You think maybe Captain Justin Williams had something to do with that hard working truculence? And you think maybe his re-emergence early this year might have been related to our playoff push? If you had to point to one person being that leadership difference maker, would you point to Justin Williams or Micheal Ferland?

I mean, I know what I think that answer is, but your mileage may vary.
Oh leadership? I thought we were talking about power-ish forwards with scoring touch.

A Tkachuk if you will.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Oh leadership? I thought we were talking about power-ish forwards with scoring touch.

You were the one who made the assertion that others followed Ferland's "physicality" lead, and that a large part of his value was the effect that he had on other players -- that they "played tougher". I'm saying that there's another, more proximal explanation for that effect.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You were the one who made the assertion that others followed Ferland's "physicality" lead, and that a large part of his value was the effect that he had on other players -- that they "played tougher". I'm saying that there's another, more proximal explanation for that effect.
I think it’s a great point that this team lacked leadership this year, and I liked that Williams was set free and allowed to lead better last year. I think the team had many leaders to support him as well, and that they gelled as a group very well under his leadership. If we’re talking truculence, which is what I thought we were talking about...Ferland especially at the start of the season where the tone was set was to me outstanding in this capacity. Comparing him to Williams is not only stylistically a rough one but unfair since Ferland played maybe half the season so his “leading” of course would pale in comparison. It’s still very fair to say we are looking for a “Ferland-esque” player regardless of what you wish to call it for whatever reason you wish to call it.

Last edited:

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
So, who are everybody's candidates to add some truculence?

Ehlers has some bite.
Anderson (Columbus)
Palmieri
Hornqvist
Duclair(?)

Add to the list, as you wish.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Ehlers has some bite.
Anderson (Columbus)
Palmieri
Hornqvist
Duclair(?)

I don’t know that Ehlers is that guy, or Duclair though both would qualify as the elusive top six guy for us. The other three make some sense, Anderson hasn’t hit his stride consistently yet.

I think we’re going to prioritize getting a top six guy in general over finding one with bite to be honest. In that setting this is a great starting point for a list.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Ehlers has some bite.
Anderson (Columbus)
Palmieri
Hornqvist
Duclair(?)

I dont think Anderson stays in the metro.

Palmieri
Duclair
Virtanen

are my top 3.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Ehlers has some bite.
Anderson (Columbus)
Palmieri
Hornqvist
Duclair(?)

Ehlers? At 170 lbs Ehlers has some bite like Teravainen has some bite. He averages like 30 hits a year.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Ehlers? Ehlers has some bite like Teravainen has some bite. He averages like 30 hits a year.

I knew that he's fought the likes of Getzlaf & Marchand & some others. He's not afraid to go. I'm not claiming he's a heavyweight by any stretch, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that would just stand around after, I don't know, your Captain gets blown up on a hit. :dunno:

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Ehlers drops the gloves fairly ofter. He plays with the edge for sure.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Other than a long term solution for goalie (that is my first choice for need), I'd say we need a LW that is both offensively gifted and a physical presence. Ideally, this player could slot in with Aho and TT and allow Svech and Necas to drive a second scoring line. I thought we had that player in Nino, but he has disappeared. Maybe McLovin can grow into that position, but I don't think he quite has the hands to do it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I knew that he's fought the likes of Getzlaf & Marchand & some others. He's not afraid to go. I'm not claiming he's a heavyweight by any stretch, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that would just stand around after, I don't know, your Captain gets blown up on a hit. :dunno:
Ehlers drops the gloves fairly ofter. He plays with the edge for sure.

Nikolaj Ehlers - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Natural stat trick says Ehlers has 2 fights in his career (369 games). I do see that he got walloped by Getzlaf and Marchand. Youtube shows another vs. Barrie.

Teravainen doesn't drop the gloves so I'll give him that. Just weird to see Ehlers (25 hits last year) compared to Anderson (200+ hits last year).

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The team didn't lack physicality. It just wasn't effective against the Bruins. They made plays to beat the forecheck. McGinn and Foegele, and the Finns and company were doing what they always do. It just wasn't good enough.

To answer the original question, I think they just need to get a year older. Then one more year older after that. And that might be the difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad