What is the #1 need for the Hurricanes right now?

What is the number 1 need?

• Improved production from the defence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Improved defence from the forward

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Jesper Fast? Dadonov? Craig Smith? I like Hoffman, too.

Smith has one season above 40 points in the last 5. Hard to see him as the addition needed at forward.

Dadonov is intriguing if he were interested in Carolina. I won't say he wouldn't be interested, because I don't think he was ever called up in the brief period when Carolina had his rights.

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Dadonov is definitely another target I would add to my list of targets. Florida seems like the type of team that is going to make whole sale changes this offseason. They need a shakeup and I can see them not bringing back certain guys so that they can somewhat start fresh.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dadonov is definitely another target I would add to my list of targets. Florida seems like the type of team that is going to make whole sale changes this offseason. They need a shakeup and I can see them not bringing back certain guys so that they can somewhat start fresh.
With bonus overages and signing Fleury and Foegele as well as playing Bean and Geekie, we are at about $79m . Without shedding a player like nino, Gardiner or Dzingel, we won’t have any room for any UFAs, particularly if we dip into the goalie pool.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With bonus overages and signing Fleury and Foegele as well as playing Bean and Geekie, we are at about $79m . Without shedding a player like nino, Gardiner or Dzingel, we won’t have any room for any UFAs, particularly if we dip into the goalie pool.
Either trade Bean or play him. He can’t be 7D. We would kill his value.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Ya, I think it goes without saying that bringing in any UFA of consequence requires moving out Nino/Dzingle/Gardiner and then obviously a goalie if we go that route

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Improved toughness etc.

The scoring will improve naturally with some of the young stars....Aho, Svech, TT and Necas especially. The supporting cast continues to evolve but Trocheck is a nice addition.

Goaltending is *fine,* not ideal but they’re in the category of good enough. Could use another prospect in the system tho.

D is stacked. Perhaps have too many legit players to achieve ideal chemistry, meaning it’s never a good idea to rotate players in a playoff series without injury. You want a solid, established top 6 where everyone knows exactly where they slot.

But overall “team pushback” is lacking...which is ironic given the coach AND the way we’ve seen him talk in the locker room about playing for each other, family, etc. Clearly they’re a tight group...maybe tighter last year tho? Lots of change over the past year.

Just a couple of harder-nosed players. Don’t have to be top 6 forwards...well maybe one. But, a couple of bastards would really help the overall team composition.

I completely agree. I think the Bruins were able to completely bully us in that series. We need someone Ferland-esque who can give us toughness and grit while also giving us some scoring.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I love our Defense but I don't know if Dougie is worth the 10 million it's going to take to sign him.

Pesce / Slavin / Vantanen / Skjei / Fleury / Bean should be good enough to compete.

Tade Dougie / Nino / Gardiner and that frees up a tonne of money to help with goaltending / another top 6 forward.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This is going to be a tough off-season to trade Gardiner or Nino.

Hamilton could easily happen given his talent, but would require re-signing Vatanen first as you point out. Given Vatanen was earning $4.5M-$5M on this past contract I don't think he's going to be a huge discount over Hamilton. And I think they can get Hamilton for under $10M/season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If we need to be tougher to play against I’m failing to see how Dadonov makes anything better. I do see he could be the needed top six guy but he makes a really soft group even more charmin like.

More goals in the regular season but maybe the same result.

Id love Vatanen but I’d be surprised if he’s stay with us and that we’d spend the money unless we were positive Dougie is gone. Or if we’re finally getting rid of that annoying Pesce guy.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There are just 2 defensemen in the league with a cap hit at $10 mil or above: Karlsson and Doughty. Hamilton is not on their level, at least in terms of name value.

Josi ($9.059 mil x 8) and Carlson (~$8.25 mil x 8 when adjusted for cap inflation) are comparables, but I'm not sure how useful they'll be in this environment. A spike was expected with a new T.V. deal. The cap now looks like it will be flat for years to come.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think Pittsburgh would go for. Nino <> Hornqvist swap as the money is similar but Nino is one less year and it would also make them younger which is what they have been talking about doing.

Hornqvist would bring that gritty veteran presence and another RH shot. He’s still productive and maybe would be a fit with the Finns.

If our forward core was this going into next year it would give a physical presence on every line and balance the shots a bit more. Or if you really wanted to put Svech on line 1 and overload I could see Hornqvist working on line 2 as well.

Hornqvist - Aho - TT
Svech - Turbo - Necas
Foegele - Staal - McGinn/Williams
Martinook - Geekie - McGinn/Not McGinn

Would just need to move out Dzingle or a mid-low pick and that looks pretty good to me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
S’mores are so good.

They are greater than the sum of their parts. You know why? One of those parts is Jet Puffed Marshmallows and yet S'mores are amazing.

In fairness though, Jet Puffed Marshmallows out of the bag are terrible. Put one on a stick and roast it over the fire, and it becomes something totally different and actually good. I agree overall though that I'd take Smores over the separate ingredients all day.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I bet they try to unload Gardiner. Will they be successful? Who knows.

Count me down as thinking they won’t have a problem trading Gardiner, if they really want to. I’d wager there are still a number of teams that think he’s a top 4 guy on a decent contract for 3 more years. However, those same teams’ offers for him are likely to be their unwanted players/cap casualties so who knows if the Canes’ front office would actually be able to find a suitable match.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I completely agree. I think the Bruins were able to completely bully us in that series. We need someone Ferland-esque who can give us toughness and grit while also giving us some scoring.

Could we stop using the adjective "Ferland-esque"? We are seriously overvaluing that guy. He played 14 games this season for Vancouver and had 1 goal and was a -3. We fell in love with that guy because he had a decent year for us, but he is absolutely not the benchmark. Do we want a guy that just hits everything that moves, racks up good numbers when he gets top six time, and then disappears? I don't think that's a guy we want. I suspect we just want to turn Tomahawk Foegele into a more physical guy. What we want is a guy who can be mean/pesty/effective. We want our own Marchand, not our own Ferland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad