What is Stuart doing?

cocorico

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
Stuart is off to a great start.
He must be a "shut down " defenseman, because he and Hainsey have done an excellent job of shutting down the top lines.

He is playing smart and physical, blocking shots and putting the puck on net.

Yes, Crosby scored on him. After watching the replay, Stuart was defending against 2 Penguins, Crosby came across the middle and buried the backhand. Buff did not provide any help.

In any event, getting beat by Sid is not such a tragedy. Coach Noel is very happy with Stu and Hainsey.
And... Stuart's leadership doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

I personally love his game.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Stuart is off to a great start.
He must be a "shut down " defenseman, because he and Hainsey have done an excellent job of shutting down the top lines.

He is playing smart and physical, blocking shots and putting the puck on net.

Yes, Crosby scored on him. After watching the replay, Stuart was defending against 2 Penguins, Crosby came across the middle and buried the backhand. Buff did not provide any help.

In any event, getting beat by Sid is not such a tragedy. Coach Noel is very happy with Stu and Hainsey.
And... Stuart's leadership doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

I personally love his game.

Buff picked up Dupuis going to the net.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
First post.

I don't think a lot of people know the importance of Hainsey-Stuart is to this team.

PyBheBt.png

Like it

Also it was against Crosby it's like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant going at you one on one. What do you do? It' not like Scott Gomez was the person going right at you..

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
First post.

I don't think a lot of people know the importance of Hainsey-Stuart is to this team.

PyBheBt.png

First of all welcome!

Onto the post, blocked shots and hitting are the two most misunderstood stats, IMO. Blocked shots are quite often a result of the player being out of position and it's a desperate attempt to get back into position. That's why I find it is an overrated stat as a stat. It is a skill and can be used really well, be generalizing it as a stat is not effetive, IMO. Hitting is also associated with defense. It has nothing at all to do with defense.

Stuart is a fine 3rd pairing guy...but his positioning is nowhere near good enough for a top 4 role. He cannot skate and properly defend top 6 forwards on other teams. He is too often out of position. He does not break the puck out very well. Has no transition game. He is what he is, a character physical bottom pairing D. Solid, but not a guy you want against top end talent.

Hainsey and Stuart run around too much, and can't move the puck out quick enough to be a 2nd pairing. Hainsey is fine with a better partner like Bogosian, but not going to carry a 2nd pairing. He is much better positionally, has a better first pass, etc.

That goal last game on Crosby shows how exposed Stuart was, he was indecisive, backing in when he should have stepped up and played his man. Overall he was alright, but long term a better player is needed for the top 4.

I really want to try Hainsey-Postma on the 2nd pairing, Stuart - Redmond on the 3rd pairing and try to spread out the opposing teams 2nd line minutes between the two, rather than focusing them on Hainsey-Stuart pairing.

Siempreloco

Jul 15, 2011
It's interesting to note that the majority of the players with high shot blocks are also in the minuses. However, the New York Rangers ran an effective campaign using a shot blocking strategy last year. I do agree that stuart-hainsey would be better broken up.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
Buff picked up Dupuis going to the net.

Buff was coasting back and let Dupuis go freely to the net. This was even commented on the by TSN panel in between periods. Stuart had to back off to try and prevent Crosby from passing to Dupuis. Also, Pavelec should of stopped the weak shot. If Buff would of hustled back and taken Dupuis, I am sure Stuart would of stepped up on Crosby. Not sure why Buff gets a free pass from everyone. Just like the Boston game on their goal. Sure Ladd turned over the puck at the blueline and everyone ragged on him for the turnover. No one mentioned that Buff let Marchand drive the net and get inside position on the goal. In the Capitals game on the goal scored by Heinrichs, Buff was in the high slot while Heinrichs was left wide open behind him. Buff is fun to watch, great offensively but a huge defensive liability. I would like to see if someone like Hitchcock or Carlyle coached this team. I bet they would not put up with the mistakes made defensively by Buff.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Buff was coasting back and let Dupuis go freely to the net. This was even commented on the by TSN panel in between periods. Stuart had to back off to try and prevent Crosby from passing to Dupuis. Also, Pavelec should of stopped the weak shot. If Buff would of hustled back and taken Dupuis, I am sure Stuart would of stepped up on Crosby. Not sure why Buff gets a free pass from everyone. Just like the Boston game on their goal. Sure Ladd turned over the puck at the blueline and everyone ragged on him for the turnover. No one mentioned that Buff let Marchand drive the net and get inside position on the goal. In the Capitals game on the goal scored by Heinrichs, Buff was in the high slot while Heinrichs was left wide open behind him. Buff is fun to watch, great offensively but a huge defensive liability. I would like to see if someone like Hitchcock or Carlyle coached this team. I bet they would not put up with the mistakes made defensively by Buff.

They were wrong. Buff had him, there was no pass to be made. Players with long legs like Buff and Antro don't have to pump their legs a mile a minute to be effective. Even Crosby could not have made that pass, and if by some miracle he had, Dupuis had no options to score from that close in.

Not to mention, even if Dupuis was open because of a lazy play by Buff, he needs to worry about doing his job. In that situation his man was Crosby. He cannot be trying to do other people's jobs, that only results in more chaos, as was seen on that play.

It was a bad play. Stuart should have stepped up, Buff maybe could have gone a bit faster back, Pavelec should have had that goal.

But Stuart's problems defensively against top opposition go deeper than that play.

cocorico

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
Can we just say Crosby is that good and can make plays out of simple rushes. At the end Jets won it's all good!

Yes
and Crosby also proved he is good on his 1st goal
and no one else scored for the rest of the game
and at the end the Jets won and it's all good

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
He probably thought Crosby would jump around him so he played him too cautiously (as a reactionary play rather than a planned effort to let him walk in front of the net). I don't disagree with you though, you have to stay on that type of player and not give them any space. All players make mistakes and I'm sure Stuart is aware of his.

On a related note I think Burmi is quickly becoming the most physical player on the team. He's finishing checks all over the ice, including against much larger players like Chara. Watching the Bruins game you could tell the two teams had different intensity levels since the Bruins all finished their checks every time while most Jets would turn away once the puck is gone.

I agree with most of the posts that Stuart is best utilized in the #5-6 role. Bogosians return is going to be great.

Burmi on the PK is very fun to watch. I just wish there was a little more finish on it. He will make these great moves and then fan on a shot or slip. I think with time that will come. I love that he can tie up 1-3 opposing players in the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad