What is Stuart doing?

noize

Mar 22, 2012
For a guy who's supposed to be a physical presence on the ice, he sure plays a prissy, passive game. Sid's 2nd goal last night was entirely on him. He doesn't attack the puck carrier to force a pass, instead he sits back and collapses onto Pavelec, swings his stick around like a buffoon, and allows the shooter to take the shot while subsequently screening our own goaltender. What is he afraid of? Stop watching puck! STEP UP ALREADY AND TAKE THE BODY. :rant:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He probably thought Crosby would jump around him so he played him too cautiously (as a reactionary play rather than a planned effort to let him walk in front of the net). I don't disagree with you though, you have to stay on that type of player and not give them any space. All players make mistakes and I'm sure Stuart is aware of his.

On a related note I think Burmi is quickly becoming the most physical player on the team. He's finishing checks all over the ice, including against much larger players like Chara. Watching the Bruins game you could tell the two teams had different intensity levels since the Bruins all finished their checks every time while most Jets would turn away once the puck is gone.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I haven't noticed any drop-off in Stuart's physical play from last season. FYI, he's currently 3rd on the Jets (1st among their defensemen) with 11 hits.

Not sure that Crosby's 2nd goal really had much to do with physical play. It was a poor read by Stuart, he peeled off to take Dupuis, thinking Buff would step up and take Crosby moving cross-ice.

This thread should be titled "What is Stuart doing on the ice vs. Crosby?". He really needs to be playing soft minutes on the bottom pairing, but Bogo's injury sorta threw a wrench in that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Stuart is the 6th D man on any playoff like NHL team.

Agree: I love Stu, but the faster Bogo gets back, the better. He plays a reasonable game as #5/6, but #4 is asking too much, just as playing a #3 is asking too much of Hainsey.

What I AM impressed with so far is how we'll they've been able to do without Bogo in the line-up - can't wait until he gets back.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Stuart was doing piroettes and falling on his ass

True, he isn't the best skater. If he was on the bottom pairing as he likely should be, he probably wouldn't have even been on the ice against Crosby much when the Jets had last change.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Being criticized for only 1 play the entire game, and to Sidney Crosby. Not bad I'd say...

Geez, cut the guy a break. He's typically their most reliable defensive defenseman.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Being criticized for only 1 play the entire game, and to Sidney Crosby. Not bad I'd say...

Geez, cut the guy a break. He's typically their most reliable defensive defenseman.

I like Stuart too but he is not typically the Jets most reliable defensive defenseman. #6 is.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Stuart is a bottom pairing defenceman playing on the 2nd pairing, often against top line talent.

He's doing what he can but obviously he's in over his head. As any player of his skill set would be in a similar situation.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He probably thought Crosby would jump around him so he played him too cautiously (as a reactionary play rather than a planned effort to let him walk in front of the net). I don't disagree with you though, you have to stay on that type of player and not give them any space. All players make mistakes and I'm sure Stuart is aware of his.

On a related note I think Burmi is quickly becoming the most physical player on the team. He's finishing checks all over the ice, including against much larger players like Chara. Watching the Bruins game you could tell the two teams had different intensity levels since the Bruins all finished their checks every time while most Jets would turn away once the puck is gone.

He was doing that all of last year, which is why I didn't understand the "he needs to bulk up" critiques. If no one looked up his weight stats no one would say anything.

He's had a lot of jump these last few games, always seems to do everything with enthusiasm.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I agree with all but the bolded...

Most reliable defensively speaking (give or take):

Enstrom
Bogosian

Hainsey

Stuart
Byfuglien
Postma

Clitsome

That's a compliment for Clitsome, pretty sure you should have just used the whole page. ;)

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Cut the guy a break. Stuart just doesn't like to hit little girls.

EDIT: I actually like Crosby. He's one of my favourite players on opposing teams. I'm just having fun with this lol.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
That's a compliment for Clitsome, pretty sure you should have just used the whole page. ;)

lol. Nice. Well I still have patience for him.... but Hainsey? That guy looked like he spent all year in a boardroom in a suit and tie. What's that all about?

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
lol. Nice. Well I still have patience for him.... but Hansey? That guy looked like he spent all year in a boardroom in a suite and tie. What's that all about?

Your eyes are decieving you.

You might want to look at... facts. :)

Hainsey has done exceptionally well considering he is paired with a guy who has no business being in the top 4. If you look at the stats, you see that he has been pretty formidable, considering.

As a matter of fact, this stint has reinforced to me that Hainsey is more than fine as our #4. When he gets Bogosian back, I will have no problem putting those two out against any line in the NHL. I would also have no issues with a Stuart/ Postma pair.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He was doing that all of last year, which is why I didn't understand the "he needs to bulk up" critiques. If no one looked up his weight stats no one would say anything.

He's had a lot of jump these last few games, always seems to do everything with enthusiasm.

Yep I remember he boarded Chara pretty good last year. I've never thought he needed to bulk up really, his skating clearly lets him get away with being smaller quite easily and he doesn't play afraid (ex. St. Louis vs Stapleton styles). He definitely needs to improve his awareness in the offensive zone though and learn to work the puck toward the net instead of always making the easy play of turning back.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Stuart is a key piece from one the worst D;s in the NHL last season, he's in the same form he was always in.

Not even Jets goggles can hide his skill level.

In his defense on the Cathy Lee Crosby goal, the stick swaying in the direction of oncoming forwards normally puts them in a trance and causes the said forward to shoot wide and sometimes straight over the glass, truly Incredible technique.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Your eyes are decieving you.

You might want to look at... facts. :)

Hainsey has done exceptionally well considering he is paired with a guy who has no business being in the top 4. If you look at the stats, you see that he has been pretty formidable, considering.

As a matter of fact, this stint has reinforced to me that Hainsey is more than fine as our #4. When he gets Bogosian back, I will have no problem putting those two out against any line in the NHL. I would also have no issues with a Stuart/ Postma pair.

Agreed.

Hainsey is a great support guy for a 2nd pair when you have a guy like Bogosian on the other side. He's very strong positionally and good at cutting down the lanes. He's also tied with Stuart in shots blocked :sarcasm:. He can't really carry the weight, which is what he's doing now and he scares me at times. I really hope Bogosian returns soon as Bogosian has a better first pass and a much stronger puck carrier and shooter than either Hainsey or Stuart.

Stuart I actually think will compliment Postma well. They can both beat-up on weak 3rd lines and 4th lines. Honestly I've mostly been impressed with both Hainsey and Stuart in how they've handled this increased role, but they've been having trouble in pushing the play forward and are being pretty harshly out-chanced (~20:1 per 60 mins) and it's only a matter of time...

Siempreloco

Jul 15, 2011
First post.

I don't think a lot of people know the importance of Hainsey-Stuart is to this team.

PyBheBt.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad