What is next for Calgary after the Iginla Trade

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
Now that the new era is coming to the Flames what do you think will happen now. I know some of you want a firesale and get ride of players like Cammy, Tanguay, Glencross, Kipper, Jaybo, Girodano as like Iginla you know with these players you can get some interesting players on this team.

I know I have said it once before but I still would not mind getting Mike Ribero to be our #1 center. I know it is a long stretch we can get Iginla back not likely and we could go after Brendon Morrow. Douglas Murray, Ryan Clowe these are all UFA at season end so we do not have to mortgage our future. Also what we did with Iginla we could do to Kipper next season if Ramo plays to our expectation. The reason I would like some of these players on our team is to give some of our prospect time to grow. It does not look like we will have another Iginla type player for a few years.

The number one thing I do not want Feaster to trade any of our first round pick.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Feaster won't trade picks. He said so in the Iginla trade presser that the team won't be trading any picks or prospects.

Padlock

Mar 8, 2009
And Ken King right after.

Agree 100%. You're even more right actually, King should be first. Weisbrod is the only one in the organization that I would like to keep around, but that's up to the new president. Which should've been John Davidson last year

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Now just move into full rebuild mode. A lot of assets on the team, start making teams overpay for them.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Except when they control the team and don't let GM's do GMing.

This essentially. It's great to have an owner willing to spend, but less so if they meddle in the affairs of management.

Oiler fans were ecstatic when Katz bought the team. Here was a billionaire who had no qualms with spending to the cap to ensure a competitive team; it was a nice change of pace from the penny pinching EIG. But a few years after, when it turns out that along with Katz came a heavy dose of cronyism where individuals like Lowe and Tambellini appear to have tenure despite being utter failures, well, things aren't as rosy as they once were.

So long as Edwards sticks his hands into managerial decisions, the Flames will continue to be a mess.

Padlock

Mar 8, 2009
He isn't the problem, we can't get rid of the owners.

Owners didn't trade for modin, Byron etc. Owners didn't say no more trading picks, then trade pick after pick. Owners didn't mess up the Erixon signing. If I felt like wasting the time I'd go on and on. Feaster is a horrible GM.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Owners didn't trade for modin, Byron etc. Owners didn't say no more trading picks, then trade pick after pick. Owners didn't mess up the Erixon signing. If I felt like wasting the time I'd go on and on. Feaster is a horrible GM.

I'll give you Modin, but for a 7th rounder, it could had been worse. As for Byron, he was part of the Regehr deal, where ownership told Feaster to get rid of Kotalik, which also meant we had to send a 2nd rounder. If I remember correctly, Feaster justified the 2nd rounder as being part of bringing in Byron. In that case, some responsibility is indeed on the ownership. And as a Flames fan, you should know that Erixon never had the intention of signing with Calgary, because he wanted to play on daddy's team. In exchange for Erixon, we got Roman Horak, and two second round picks (Tyler Wotherspoon, Markus Granlund), so I don't see that as Feaster messing up... That is Feaster turning a **** situation into a positive.

Feaster certainly isn't a great GM by any means, but the examples you are using to discredit his tenure as GM for Calgary isn't building a strong case for your argument.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
We are in a rebuild mode just a slow one and Feaster just does not want to admit it. The only thing I want is feaster not to trade one or both our first rounder and not move down if possible move up. It looks like our pick will be in the top ten and the Penguins pick will be 20th to 30th so we will have one great player and one average player as after the first 15th are picked then most time the good players are gone, some times you can find a dimond in the rough.

LukeD

On Fire
Apr 1, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd like to see JBow moved. He's been great this year, so we need a good return while his stock is at its highest since coming to the Flames.

I hope we get rid of some (if not all) of the dead weight.

And at the end of the season, I dream of both Feaster and King getting the boot. I just don't have much confidence in the future with those 2 driving this ship.

Craiggy

Mar 29, 2013
UK
I have no idea what's going to happen. It's gonna be an interesting few days. I hope we keep TJ, Tanguay, Hudler, Cervenka and Glencross.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I have no idea what's going to happen. It's gonna be an interesting few days. I hope we keep TJ, Tanguay, Hudler, Cervenka and Glencross.

Until the draft is over we will not fully understand what direction the Flames are going. I just hope we get some good quality players in the draft and more of our prospects get a chance to play in the NHL. The Flames have some good not great prospects that need to have a taste of the NHL to see if they are ready. One prospect that should be in the lineup come 2014 is Sven Baertich(Sp?)

Padlock

Mar 8, 2009
I'll give you Modin, but for a 7th rounder, it could had been worse. As for Byron, he was part of the Regehr deal, where ownership told Feaster to get rid of Kotalik, which also meant we had to send a 2nd rounder. If I remember correctly, Feaster justified the 2nd rounder as being part of bringing in Byron. In that case, some responsibility is indeed on the ownership. And as a Flames fan, you should know that Erixon never had the intention of signing with Calgary, because he wanted to play on daddy's team. In exchange for Erixon, we got Roman Horak, and two second round picks (Tyler Wotherspoon, Markus Granlund), so I don't see that as Feaster messing up... That is Feaster turning a **** situation into a positive.

Feaster certainly isn't a great GM by any means, but the examples you are using to discredit his tenure as GM for Calgary isn't building a strong case for your argument.

You have no idea why Erixon didn't sign. You assume that was the case. Pretty bold to say he never intended on signing. I highly doubt that from the day he was drafted he had decided he'd never sign here. I can't stand the guy and think it was a bs move but it's still the gm's job to find these things out.

The 2nd was for Byron. Feaster said that many times. I'd take that 2nd over Byron every day of the week. How many examples do you want? We could pretty much talk about any move Feaster has made and it'll be bad. Re-signing a couple of Sutters guys were the best moves he's made

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

You think Modin is why we are here? The owners forced Feaster to dump Kotalik so he had to give up a 2nd I don't see how Byron is a bad asset to get. Erixon wasn't going to sign period Feaster turned a 2nd + 5th into Horak + 2 2nds great trade. He isn't great but his hands are tied by the owners they are the root of evil.

Sounds like the owners have bought into the idea of a retool. Or a Brenda. Or whatever this is called.

I will believe it win I see it they will most likely want to compete next year which means picks will have to be traded for nhl talent I don't trust them to allow the process of getting younger and better to happen.

Padlock

Mar 8, 2009
You think Modin is why we are here? The owners forced Feaster to dump Kotalik so he had to give up a 2nd I don't see how Byron is a bad asset to get. Erixon wasn't going to sign period Feaster turned a 2nd + 5th into Horak + 2 2nds great trade. He isn't great but his hands are tied by the owners they are the root of evil.

I will believe it win I see it they will most likely want to compete next year which means picks will have to be traded for nhl talent I don't trust them to allow the process of getting younger and better to happen.

Modin is one example. No I don't think he's the reason we are here but those kind of moves don't help either. Trade was Regehr and Kotalik for butler. The 2nd was for Byron. Look who was drafted around that pick, there's at least 5 guys I'd take over Byron.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Modin is one example. No I don't think he's the reason we are here but those kind of moves don't help either. Trade was Regehr and Kotalik for butler. The 2nd was for Byron. Look who was drafted around that pick, there's at least 5 guys I'd take over Byron.

The 2nd was for Kotalik from everything I have read. Again even that trade shows how much the owners are in the GMing they forced Feaster to dump the contract when they could have bought it out. They won't let him make the deals they tie his hands trying to take control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad