What is Joel Edmundsons Ceiling?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ceiling = complimentary #2 who is excellent in the D zone and on the PK, but can still chip in 30ish points.

I don't expect him to continue this scoring pace indefinitely, but he is more reaching his stride than experiencing an anomaly IMO.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I don't know that you could call this an anomaly, really. I'm not going to say that his production won't fall off, but he showed this kind of ability starting in the playoffs last year, and while you can make a case if a player were to have abnormally high production throughout a season to be a fluke, it's particularly difficult to carry over that kind of play through the offseason into the next year with it just being a hot-streak.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Well, realistically I don't think he's going to score 24 goals this season like he's on pace to. He's putting himself in position to score and he's burying the opportunities that he has, but I doubt we'll see this level of offense continue. I think his ceiling is a rock solid 2nd pair defensive Dman which is pretty close to where he's at right now. He doesn't skate or handle the puck well enough to be a true top pairing guy IMO, but if he has a partner like Petro he can certainly hold his own on the top pairing. Love having him on the team. He's physical without taking too many stupid penalties, and he does a good job creating space in front of his net and blocking shots. But if this a fantasy hockey question, I think you'd be better served looking elsewhere for a fantasy Dman unless your league counts blocked shots and hits in which case he could be useful.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Ceiling = complimentary #2 who is excellent in the D zone and on the PK, but can still chip in 30ish points.

I don't expect him to continue this scoring pace indefinitely, but he is more reaching his stride than experiencing an anomaly IMO.
Agreed with this. #2 with a good partner but a really good #3.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Worse but still strong half of a top pair seems like the obvious answer here. In a perfect world, he's Petro's long term partner, while Dunn is Colts, and that's our to 4 for the next half decade.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
He's flourishing in Yeos system. He's done a great job of finding soft spots around the net. It's really helping our defensemen that our forwards are top to bottom really good two way players allows for our d to confidently jump in and find the soft spots.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
He's flourishing in Yeos system. He's done a great job of finding soft spots around the net. It's really helping our defensemen that our forwards are top to bottom really good two way players allows for our d to confidently jump in and find the soft spots.

I think if you can win a cup without a top 1st line center, this is how. Make it very hard to for defenses to cover everybody, and if you are responsible and practiced, it can be frightening to face. The fact that Edmunson and Petro have fit in so perfectly, and Dunn and Gunnar seem to play well in it as well. All we need is to see if Colt can adjust to it.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Top Pairing

He's isn't quite as good as Parayko defensively but is a bit more aggressive and quick with his decisions in the O-Zone.

Ranking our D-Men defensively
1. Petro
2. Parayko
3. Ed/Bo
4. Dunn--gaining rapidly

Ranking our D-men Offensively

1. Petro
2. Ed/Dunn (Dunn will clearly be #2 within a year)
3. Colt/Bo--Colt is good on the rush and great with pinches but his decisions re passing shooting are still a bit hesitant

Ranking our D-Men in skating ability
1. Parayko (top end speed), Dunn (top end speed and agility), Petro (all around excellent--not high end speed but very fast on his pivots), Bo (all around good--very smooth)
2. Ed--not bad at all...just doesn't quite hit the level of the above.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Ed looks like he's gonna be a very solid top 4 defender with a small chance he becomes a low end top pairing or high end top 4 with a a mean streak that we wish Parayko had. If he keeps getting better and better as he looks like he is, I wouldn't mind keeping him and Dunn in the top 4 and using Walman as a trade piece (Mainly because I think Mikkola is gonna be a good bottom pairing d-man).

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Despite his goal scoring streak dating back to last postseason, I really dont see the offensive upside some others are in this thread. Look at his numbers in the WHL, AHL and his first two regular seasons in the NHL (400+ games) and his last ~30 games (last playoffs and this season) looks more like a blip than a trend. Is his uptick in production due to his blossoming skill, or is it due to Yeo's system and playing mostly with Petro/Parayko? I will take the latter. He just doesnt check off many boxes offensively besides having a pretty good shot. Average in transition, average hands, average offensive instincts, keep it simple passer, etc. Defensively, he is pretty good and adds the enforcer/physical element that can be lacking with our team, but he doesnt drive possession numbers and isnt a PK ace.

His ceiling is a top 4 guy. I wouldnt hesitate for a second to move him for an upgrade on the left side.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think he can be our Seabrook to Petro’s Keith. He can be a 30 point guy with good defense and physicality. He could partner a premier top-pairing guy, but would never be a top-pairing guy on his own. Solid top-4 though.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Legit question, who would you take Mattias Ekholm or Joel Edmundson? Both seem to be more defensive minded Dman, and both have 6 goals for the season and have very similar shooting percentages.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Edmundson. That contract Ekholm has is great, but I like Ed's physicality better, and think we can get him to a similar deal long-term (cap percentage-wise) after bridging him. Not to mention that Ekhlom is 27 and Ed is 24.

Reactions: simon in canada

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Ekholm and it really is a matter of Ekholm being on another tier of quality. He's one of the best defensive defenseman in the league, up there with Vlasic and Hjalmarsson.

Edmundson is pretty good, but expecting him to ever match that is really an unfair expectation that he'll probably never match barring some ridiculous improvement in his game.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
You guys are nuts if you would take Edmundson over Ekholm. Ekholm is the superior defenseman by far.

It's 100% Ekholm > Edmundson. But I wouldn't take Ekholm over Parayko or Pietrangelo like some on the main boards. Ekholm is an excellent shut down man. He's definitely better than Vlasic even when Vlasic got all that praise.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ekholm and it really is a matter of Ekholm being on another tier of quality. He's one of the best defensive defenseman in the league, up there with Vlasic and Hjalmarsson.

Edmundson is pretty good, but expecting him to ever match that is really an unfair expectation that he'll probably never match barring some ridiculous improvement in his game.
On any given night, I believe Edmundson can be as good defensively or even better than Ekholm. BUT Ekholm is way more consistent and has a longer track record to judge. I think it's totally possible Edmundson becomes the better player, but agreed that right now ya gotta take Ekholm between the two.

FWIW tho, I think they are closer than some folks do.

Reactions: simon in canada

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Short term I'd definitely take Ekholm over Edmundson. Long term I'm not so sure about that. Eddy has progressed really well actually a lot better than I ever expected him to after seeing him his rookie season. I kind of see them as similar players though and I am kind of expecting Ekholm's contract to be used as a comparable to Eddy's next one if he is not bridged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad