Value of: What incentive would you offer to take the worst contract off your team?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Past examples include the David Clarkson CLB-VGK trade, the Pavel Datsyuk DET-PHX trade, etc.

Who would you move on your team? What would you offer as an incentive? Retained salary, draft picks, prospects?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Some Isles fans propose incentive-based trades to get Ladd off the team, but I disagree. I can see ~66% of the owners fighting for a compliance buyout with the next CBA, and with two expansion drafts where we all worked together to build a Vegas juggernaut, the owners are owed a "favor" in terms of roster management.

I've yet to hear a reasonable argument against upcoming compliance buyouts other than what essentially amounts to "you won't get one because I say so". A precedent has been established.

Reactions: SI90

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Some Isles fans propose incentive-based trades to get Ladd off the team, but I disagree. I can see ~66% of the owners fighting for a compliance buyout with the next CBA, and with two expansion drafts where we all worked together to build a Vegas juggernaut, the owners are owed a "favor" in terms of roster management.

I've yet to hear a reasonable argument against upcoming compliance buyouts other than what essentially amounts to "you won't get one because I say so". A precedent has been established.
Unless the cap is getting rolled back in the next CBA, there is absolutely no precedent for more compliance buyouts. The NHLPA isn't likely to be open to the idea, unless such buyouts were not coming out of the players share of revenue.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I don’t actually know.

Trying to imagine how it would look like - line of Lucic - Lehtera - Ryan on the ice.

That would be something.

Reactions: SnS

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
The Blues main ones is Berglund (He has a modified No trade clause not sure what teams are excluded or what) For the long term he has biggest contract for a very streaky player which he was so bad last year when the Blues hit the wall and played so bad it looked like they where playing heartless he was benched. At the end of the season he was doing well but I don't think he worth the contract when cap space wise is a big deal in a few years more so IF we get Tavares if he hits the market. Now this is all under the what ifs. Because as talked about in another thread about Tavares and how the Blues have these potential big talents coming up throw the system in Thomas and Kyrou. Clearing cap for them is a big deal.

The other one is Jake Allen. No trade clause but a cap hit for years. Another guy who proven to be streaky. When he good he very good but when he bad he very bad. Last two years showed that and 2016/2017 season second half and playoffs he was amazing but the issues was to many shots given up by the other players. Last year had had a good first couple months, got bad, and was up and down. One of the reasons we missed the playoff. With the other give no craps attitude we saw last year for two months. We have Husso coming up who all signed he got the abilities. I would prefer to see possible Hutton and Husso in I would think a better less streaky in goal.

Some would say get rid of Bouwmeester but he not as big of a deal as he on his last year and has full no trade anyway. Most of the defense for the Blues come off the books next off season outside of Petro and Colton. Joel and Gunn I think are getting paid for how much we will see. Someone predicted 5 mill on Gunn. Joel who knows.

Now what who I give a team to take mainly Berglund or Allen? The key is it not going to help the Blues to move them if they have to retain cape space. So I would have to sweetin the deal by draft pick (The more likely) or a prospect I would only give up a prospect if we where getting a want and need in return. In Allen case since he doesn't have a no trade clause that maybe can be offered to a team that needs to take on cap space for the league min situation. I'm more looking at contracts that are longer than two years left on them. Because that when money wise becomes more a thing because by then Thomas and Kyrou will be up and once they are you have what two years of entry deals before they become RFAs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would Oilers trade 10th overall to take Lucic?
Maybe if Tavares was interested in coming over.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Unless the cap is getting rolled back in the next CBA, there is absolutely no precedent for more compliance buyouts. The NHLPA isn't likely to be open to the idea, unless such buyouts were not coming out of the players share of revenue.
Ladd's got 5 yrs/$23m left. Like CodeE, I am hoping for a buyout. But, if no buyout occurs,keep him and look at as just having to swallow a bad contract.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Weird being a Ranger fan and realizing that the salary cap is not an issue. Went from hating Staal’s contract to being indifferent. Actually could use him in helping groom the young defensemen on our team. Smith’s contract doesn’t look too good at the moment but that is the least of our concern. These guys have 3 years left on their deals and if the Rangers have to worry about their contract by the 3rd year I guess the rebuild is going well.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I’d give up Pittsburgh’s first rounder if someone took Ryan and Ottawa didn’t have to retain. Unlikely anyone would be interested though.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
3rd + Ennis for 7th

Not sure if the 7th is fair. Looks like a certain buyout at this point. Nobody wants 8 goal one way scorer with 4.6mil caphit.

2mil+1.2mil buyout is probably worth a 3rd alone.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I’d give up Pittsburgh’s first rounder if someone took Ryan and Ottawa didn’t have to retain. Unlikely anyone would be interested though.

no GM interested in keeping their job is gonna that
nearly 30mil over the next 4 years ...i dont see it for a late 1st

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Id maybe give up a 4th/Leivo/Gauthier to get rid of Matt Martin with no retention and no salary coming back
not really that bad of a deal. maybe 500k-1m overpaid, but he just doesnt fit in the lineup anymore

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

You have to remember, that part of the CBA, and the idea of a cap as a whole is not NHLPA vs. Owners, but rather Owner vs Owner.

Poor teams don't want compliance buyouts as it gives some teams a get out of jail free card for stupidity while also rising the salaries of comparable players.

Example: Toronto signs a mediocre #4D to a big contract. Similar D see their values as RFAs and UFAs go up. Player fails for Toronto so they just do a compliance buyout. Meanwhile the other teams affected by the fallout of that signing can't do the same.

You may not see or agree with the logic of it (and I don't, I personally think there should be any cap at all), but the hold up is because a bunch of billionaires who believe in the free market in all other aspects of their lives, don't like it in this one area.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
In Vancouver, no one. Eriksson is a terrible contract, but the Canucks aren't in a position to throw assets away to save cap space

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The Blues main ones is Berglund (He has a modified No trade clause not sure what teams are excluded or what) For the long term he has biggest contract for a very streaky player which he was so bad last year when the Blues hit the wall and played so bad it looked like they where playing heartless he was benched. At the end of the season he was doing well but I don't think he worth the contract when cap space wise is a big deal in a few years more so IF we get Tavares if he hits the market. Now this is all under the what ifs. Because as talked about in another thread about Tavares and how the Blues have these potential big talents coming up throw the system in Thomas and Kyrou. Clearing cap for them is a big deal.

The other one is Jake Allen. No trade clause but a cap hit for years. Another guy who proven to be streaky. When he good he very good but when he bad he very bad. Last two years showed that and 2016/2017 season second half and playoffs he was amazing but the issues was to many shots given up by the other players. Last year had had a good first couple months, got bad, and was up and down. One of the reasons we missed the playoff. With the other give no craps attitude we saw last year for two months. We have Husso coming up who all signed he got the abilities. I would prefer to see possible Hutton and Husso in I would think a better less streaky in goal.

Some would say get rid of Bouwmeester but he not as big of a deal as he on his last year and has full no trade anyway. Most of the defense for the Blues come off the books next off season outside of Petro and Colton. Joel and Gunn I think are getting paid for how much we will see. Someone predicted 5 mill on Gunn. Joel who knows.

Now what who I give a team to take mainly Berglund or Allen? The key is it not going to help the Blues to move them if they have to retain cape space. So I would have to sweetin the deal by draft pick (The more likely) or a prospect I would only give up a prospect if we where getting a want and need in return. In Allen case since he doesn't have a no trade clause that maybe can be offered to a team that needs to take on cap space for the league min situation. I'm more looking at contracts that are longer than two years left on them. Because that when money wise becomes more a thing because by then Thomas and Kyrou will be up and once they are you have what two years of entry deals before they become RFAs.
Disagree with most of this. Blues don't have a contract that is absolutely killing them at this point. Don't think any player has negative value. Steen would probably be the closest to that based on age, performance, years remaining and salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad