What if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is Crosby a lock to play in the NHL next season if it resumes? What are the chances he gets sent back to the Q?

Is there a possibility that he doesn't make it past the pre-season and spends another year in Rimouski? How does he fair playing for the Oceanic for a third year?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
If he gets sent back to the Q, it may be for financial reasons a-la Marc Andre Fleury.

Aside, If he didn't meet expectations in camp (which, mind you, is absolutely ridiculous given what he has done) he'd come back to the Q and dominate again, then come back up to the big club.

This scenario would be like saying that Rick Nash > Sidney Crosby at 18. That would see heads rolling around these boards

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
futurcorerock said:
If he gets sent back to the Q, it may be for financial reasons a-la Marc Andre Fleury.

Aside, If he didn't meet expectations in camp (which, mind you, is absolutely ridiculous given what he has done) he'd come back to the Q and dominate again, then come back up to the big club.

This scenario would be like saying that Rick Nash > Sidney Crosby at 18. That would see heads rolling around these boards

Rick Nash was built for the NHL at 18. I'm not sure the same can be said for Crosby, and I don't feel it's a given, depending on who gets Crosby, that he'll make his NHL team, if it would mean he'd be on the third or fourth line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just saw the kid play for the first time recently, and if he doesn't make a significant impact "50-60+ points" in his rookie season, I would be AMAZED!!! He's a sure shot to be in the NHL as long as he's healthy.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
futurcorerock said:

Rick Nash was drafted by Columbus though. A lot of good teams, who may get Crosby, probably wouldn't have played Nash as a 18 year old.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
He could have played in the NHL this year. He is a lock to make any roster next season and will have an impact.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Le Golie said:
He could have played in the NHL this year. He is a lock to make any roster next season and will have an impact.

Why. Playing against junior players is a lot different then playing against men which he has 0 experience of doing. Saying he fares well against 20 year olds when he is 17 is a lot different than saying he is competing against 30 year vets who know the intricacies of the game.

There is no lock when dealing with prospects. Crosby has a better shot than most prospects, but he is anything but a lock.

Oilers1*

nomorekids said:
Rick Nash was built for the NHL at 18. I'm not sure the same can be said for Crosby, and I don't feel it's a given, depending on who gets Crosby, that he'll make his NHL team, if it would mean he'd be on the third or fourth line.

Didn't Nash weigh like 180 when he was drafted? He's taller than Crosby but I don't think he was necessarily any stronger or mature at 18.

Staalweiser

Apr 3, 2005
Aus.
The sooner Crosby plays in the NHL the better. In my opinion, playing another year in junior would be a waste. Let him get a taste of the NHL. Even if he doesn't dominate, I think him playing in the NHL is the best experience he can get, and I'm sure he'll learn a hell of a lot from it.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
London Knights said:
There is no lock when dealing with prospects. Crosby has a better shot than most prospects, but he is anything but a lock.
There is no lock. But IMHO "Crosby has a better shot than most prospects" is not nearly a strong enough statement. Crosby has the best shot of any prospect in the world. And "he is anything but a lock"... more like he is the closest thing to a lock that there is.

If it came to internet bets, I'd eat my hat (and maybe my keyboard too) if Crosby failed to make the NHL next year. I'd bet my house, my car, and everything in my RRSPs if Las Vegas was giving any kind of odds against Crosby making it. (Well, and if I was a betting man, which I'm not particularly).

And I'm not even a very big Crosby fan relative to many (most?) on this board.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If Crosby doesn't make it the 1st year, then I think the Earth might spin off its access. We would then be flung out into space, and die of the cold. Please Sidney Crosby, can you save us?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Barnaby said:
If Crosby doesn't make it the 1st year, then I think the Earth might spin off its access. We would then be flung out into space, and die of the cold. Please Sidney Crosby, can you save us?

That's impossible! We'd die due to the perfect vaccuum created by space before having a chance to worry about the cold

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
He is a sure thing because no team that drafts him will have the balls to send him back to the Q where he has nothing to prove and won't really improve that much.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
NYRangers said:
He is a sure thing because no team that drafts him will have the balls to send him back to the Q where he has nothing to prove and won't really improve that much.
So, better to take a chance and potentially ruin his confidence (and thus potentially his career) if he is not ready to play against men?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
mattihp said:
So, better to take a chance and potentially ruin his confidence (and thus potentially his career) if he is not ready to play against men?

Who in their right mind thinks he is not ready? If he is not ready then no prospect is. At all, because he is better now that most prospects will ever be.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
NYRangers said:
Who in their right mind thinks he is not ready? If he is not ready then no prospect is. At all, because he is better now that most prospects will ever be.
He *might* be ready. Anyone who believes he's a surebet to be ready without even having played a game against men should be deemed ignorant.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Sidney Crosby is as guaranteed to play in the NHL in his first year as any other prospect has been in the past 15 years. Every indication has demonstrated he is ready. Sure, he likely won't be as dominant, that only makes sense, but consider how PHYSICALLY dominant he has been, the immense lower-body strength he has demonstrated, it more than reasonable to assume he will be able to hold his own in that regard in the NHL.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
mattihp said:
He *might* be ready. Anyone who believes he's a surebet to be ready without even having played a game against men should be deemed ignorant.
Crosby could go back to junior only and only IF he has a dispuste against the coach,gm or team ala Lindros ..

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
He'll play in the NHL in his first pro season, no doubt.

Someone mentioned Nash during his rookie year and he was 180 at the beginning of that year, but he gained 15 pounds by the end of the season. By the start of 03-04, he was at 200 or slightly over.

stocktrader

Barring injury, to say Crosby might not make the NHL his rookie year at the very least shows naivety and at worst shows an extreme amount of ignorance.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Yes, he's a lock.

1) Even if he doesnt dominate, he'll learn more there than in the junior.

2) He's the most markettable player in the game today, and considering the state of hockey, well ...

Cheers,
Matt

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
You have not seen the guy play enough yet if you think he wont play in the nhl next year (barring injuries or contracts problems, +).

The set of skills is simply amazing, his vision is above almost any other in the nhl AND he's already more than enough strong to handle the nhl physical bodies, easily imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad