What if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Heat McManus, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is Crosby a lock to play in the NHL next season if it resumes? What are the chances he gets sent back to the Q?

Is there a possibility that he doesn't make it past the pre-season and spends another year in Rimouski? How does he fair playing for the Oceanic for a third year?

2. Fish on The Sand

Fish on The Sand Untouchable

Home Page:
    what if he didnt make it...omg we'd be killed :amazed:

3. futurcorerock

futurcorerock Registered User

If he gets sent back to the Q, it may be for financial reasons a-la Marc Andre Fleury.

Aside, If he didn't meet expectations in camp (which, mind you, is absolutely ridiculous given what he has done) he'd come back to the Q and dominate again, then come back up to the big club.

This scenario would be like saying that Rick Nash > Sidney Crosby at 18. That would see heads rolling around these boards

4. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    Rick Nash was built for the NHL at 18. I'm not sure the same can be said for Crosby, and I don't feel it's a given, depending on who gets Crosby, that he'll make his NHL team, if it would mean he'd be on the third or fourth line.

5. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

I just saw the kid play for the first time recently, and if he doesn't make a significant impact "50-60+ points" in his rookie season, I would be AMAZED!!! He's a sure shot to be in the NHL as long as he's healthy.

6. Blane Youngblood

Blane Youngblood Registered User

Home Page:
    Rick Nash was drafted by Columbus though. A lot of good teams, who may get Crosby, probably wouldn't have played Nash as a 18 year old.

7. Le Golie

Le Golie ...

He could have played in the NHL this year. He is a lock to make any roster next season and will have an impact.

8. London Knights

London Knights Registered User

Why. Playing against junior players is a lot different then playing against men which he has 0 experience of doing. Saying he fares well against 20 year olds when he is 17 is a lot different than saying he is competing against 30 year vets who know the intricacies of the game.

There is no lock when dealing with prospects. Crosby has a better shot than most prospects, but he is anything but a lock.

9. Oilers1*

Oilers1* Guest

Didn't Nash weigh like 180 when he was drafted? He's taller than Crosby but I don't think he was necessarily any stronger or mature at 18.

10. Staalweiser

Staalweiser Registered User

The sooner Crosby plays in the NHL the better. In my opinion, playing another year in junior would be a waste. Let him get a taste of the NHL. Even if he doesn't dominate, I think him playing in the NHL is the best experience he can get, and I'm sure he'll learn a hell of a lot from it.

11. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    There is no lock. But IMHO "Crosby has a better shot than most prospects" is not nearly a strong enough statement. Crosby has the best shot of any prospect in the world. And "he is anything but a lock"... more like he is the closest thing to a lock that there is.

If it came to internet bets, I'd eat my hat (and maybe my keyboard too) if Crosby failed to make the NHL next year. I'd bet my house, my car, and everything in my RRSPs if Las Vegas was giving any kind of odds against Crosby making it. (Well, and if I was a betting man, which I'm not particularly).

And I'm not even a very big Crosby fan relative to many (most?) on this board.

12. Barnaby

Barnaby Registered User

If Crosby doesn't make it the 1st year, then I think the Earth might spin off its access. We would then be flung out into space, and die of the cold. Please Sidney Crosby, can you save us?

13. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

That's impossible! We'd die due to the perfect vaccuum created by space before having a chance to worry about the cold

14. mattihp

mattihp Registered User

Calling him a sure shot when he hasn't played against men is just ridiculous...

15. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

He is a sure thing because no team that drafts him will have the balls to send him back to the Q where he has nothing to prove and won't really improve that much.

16. mattihp

mattihp Registered User

So, better to take a chance and potentially ruin his confidence (and thus potentially his career) if he is not ready to play against men?

17. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

Who in their right mind thinks he is not ready? If he is not ready then no prospect is. At all, because he is better now that most prospects will ever be.

18. mattihp

mattihp Registered User

He *might* be ready. Anyone who believes he's a surebet to be ready without even having played a game against men should be deemed ignorant.

19. ZombieMatt

ZombieMatt Registered User

Sidney Crosby is as guaranteed to play in the NHL in his first year as any other prospect has been in the past 15 years. Every indication has demonstrated he is ready. Sure, he likely won't be as dominant, that only makes sense, but consider how PHYSICALLY dominant he has been, the immense lower-body strength he has demonstrated, it more than reasonable to assume he will be able to hold his own in that regard in the NHL.

20. in the hall

in the hall Registered User

yeah we have some scholars here, way to maximize marketing value

21. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Registered User

Home Page:
    Crosby could go back to junior only and only IF he has a dispuste against the coach,gm or team ala Lindros ..

22. Jovavic

Jovavic Blood Legion

Home Page:
    He'll play in the NHL in his first pro season, no doubt.

Someone mentioned Nash during his rookie year and he was 180 at the beginning of that year, but he gained 15 pounds by the end of the season. By the start of 03-04, he was at 200 or slightly over.

23. stocktrader

stocktrader Guest

Barring injury, to say Crosby might not make the NHL his rookie year at the very least shows naivety and at worst shows an extreme amount of ignorance.

24. CoupeStanley

CoupeStanley Registered User

Webmestre
    Home Page:
    Yes, he's a lock.

1) Even if he doesnt dominate, he'll learn more there than in the junior.

2) He's the most markettable player in the game today, and considering the state of hockey, well ...

Cheers,
    Matt

25. Anksun

Anksun Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    You have not seen the guy play enough yet if you think he wont play in the nhl next year (barring injuries or contracts problems, +).

The set of skills is simply amazing, his vision is above almost any other in the nhl AND he's already more than enough strong to handle the nhl physical bodies, easily imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.