What if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I just don't get the I don't see crosby fighting argument as valid ..
he doesn't need to fight to have sucess in the NHL ..
and he was maybe shut down against the knights .. and i'm pretty sure he will be shut down some games in the NHL too .. that doesn't change the fact that he's NHL ready !

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
alecfromtherock said:
As for the title thread, Crosby’s participation is irrelevant if the NHL resumes this season. No one player determines the fate of the game, nor have they said that is what they want to do.

Re read the thread title.

It's 'What if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?', not 'How relevant will Crosby's participation be in the NHL in terms of determining the fate of the game?'

NYR469 said:
and if i remember correctly phillips not jumping right to the nhl wasn't because he wasn't because he wasn't ready but because of the horrible family situation he had with one parent dying and the other losing their visions. i don't remember the details exactly but i think chris wanted to stay close to home to help take care of his younger siblings.

No, Phillips actually wanted to play in the NHL but the Senators thought he wasn't ready and sent him back to the WHL. Phillips wasn't very happy with their decision and made quite a fuss about it.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Blind Gardien said:
2004 - Ovechkin, played against men. (Was READY for the NHL too).
2003 - Fleury, played in the NHL.
2002 - Nash, straight into the NHL.
2001 - Kovalchuk, straight into the NHL.
2000 - Dipietro, straight into the NHL.

Not that it changes your argument much, but in no way did Fleury and Dipietro go straight into the NHL. Both played a handfull of games, and were in the minors for most of the year. Dipietro didn't make the Islanders until four years after being drafted.

D-men and goalies have a much harder time breaking in, because it's much harder to hide the guy on a line where he can't do any damage. You can work a forward in with limited ice time quite easily, can't do that with the others.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
PecaFan said:
Not that it changes your argument much, but in no way did Fleury and Dipietro go straight into the NHL. Both played a handfull of games, and were in the minors for most of the year. Dipietro didn't make the Islanders until four years after being drafted.

Both started 20 or more games the year after they were drafted. I think it is fair to say they both made their respective teams, no matter how it played out eventually with both getting significant AHL seasoning.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
I dont think a lot of posters on this board could mentally cope with Crosby not actually playing in the NHL his first time out...he'll mirror the way Guy Lafleur's career started out and then just take off

Ovechkin has a clear advantage of playing in the RSL , especially with the number of NHL players that came over b/c of the lockout...playing against overage junior players doesnt come close to playing against the talent Ovechkin faced all year...I certainly think Crosby has the higher ceiling of the two but Ovechkin has the better chance of stepping into the NHL and making an impact right away

IMO the biggest test Crosby is going to have is not making an immediate impact but whether or not he can handle the pressure of a franchise's savior, being on the same level as a Mario, Gretzky, or a Lindros, and the face of the NHL and canadian hockey for the next decade and a half

quick question, would Crosby play center right away in the NHL or is better to move him to wing?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
thomasincanada said:
I'd like to point out that Crosby was only 17 on the top line of a WJC team that was playing a completely different game then Russia's junior team.

Much easier to be a star when your team is that much weaker .

I know it's not often the case with Russia and Canada, usually being pretty equal, but it sure was this year. The talent difference between the two teams was immense.
Likewise it's extremely much easier to be a superstar playing against boys, than it is being a star playing against men.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
MeffyuhTJRest said:
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is Crosby a lock to play in the NHL next season if it resumes? What are the chances he gets sent back to the Q?

Is there a possibility that he doesn't make it past the pre-season and spends another year in Rimouski? How does he fair playing for the Oceanic for a third year?
"What will happen if Crosby doesn't make his NHL team?"
The sky will fall.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Le Golie said:
People who don't know that Crosby will be in the NHL when it starts up don't quite understand his skill set. It's really as simple as that.
AND if they don't understand his skill set then IMO they don't understand too
much about hockey or they just haven't seen him play. Just out of curiosity
guys;how many players in the NHL now do you think have the same ability
as Crosby? :dunno:
P.S. does anyone here honestly believe Crosby is going to sign a 2 way contract
with an NHL club? :shakehead

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
DrMoses said:
Why?

Ovechkin got pounded at the World Juniors and he couldn't even take it. That was kids. One of those kids was Crosby.

Ovechkin has two years on the kid and he still couldn't handle it...

Imagine Crosby at 19... He will be exceeding Ovechkin if his pace continues...

Question though. Won't Crosby still be 17 at the start of next season? Is he even allowed to play in the NHL?

Eh, Ovechkin won best forward at the WJC tourney, yes? He was isolated in one game and injured. He then went on to lead his Senior National team in scoring. I'm guessing he's feeling fine. :D I'll eat crow when SC can do against actual NHL all-stars what Ovechkin has-gladly. I have nothing against Crosby. The NHL needs another Wayne. I just don't think he or Ovechkin or any player quite meets that billing.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bryanbryoil said:
I guess it's in my head too. When I saw Ovechkin against the US in the WJC's, he was a very nice player, top notched potential, etc. That said, seeing Crosby in the Memorial Cup, there's no comparison. Crosby is the best young prospect out there bar none. Who would you rather have in their prime Kovalchuk or Forsberg??? If you like Kovalchuk I understand your point, if not, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

It's very arguable whether Kovalchuk has reached his prime.

At least, you are consistent with yourself. You're rushing judgment on Crosby/Ovechkin and you are also babbling about Forsberg and a young Kovalchuk and comparing some non-existent prime years.

For your interest, Ilya has a better track record as a dominant player than Peter had at his age.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
EroCaps said:
Eh, Ovechkin won best forward at the WJC tourney, yes? He was isolated in one game and injured. He then went on to lead his Senior National team in scoring. I'm guessing he's feeling fine. :D I'll eat crow when SC can do against actual NHL all-stars what Ovechkin has-gladly. I have nothing against Crosby. The NHL needs another Wayne. I just don't think he or Ovechkin or any player quite meets that billing.

Have you ever seen Crosby play? He is already a men against boys out there, as it is obvious to see. He will be great, especially when he turns 20. He is a perrenial rocket richard winner, ovechkin will be great, but will not be better than crosby. Crosby is already a better player at 17

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
hockeyman28 said:
Have you ever seen Crosby play? He is already a men against boys out there, as it is obvious to see. He will be great, especially when he turns 20. He is a perrenial rocket richard winner, ovechkin will be great, but will not be better than crosby. Crosby is already a better player at 17

I have. Have you seen Ovechkin play? Or Malkin? I'm not sure how you can say Crosby is already a better player considering the two Russians performance at the World Cup and in the RSL, not to mention the WJC. Crosby was w/tourney MVP Bergeron and close second Carter. Ovechkin and Malkin both were almost islands. Yet, AO does his thing.

Crosby could win the Richard, but you have to give pure goal scoring ability to Ovechkin. SC is a playmaker, like Malkin- only smaller and maybe even a bit slower. He didn't look like a man against boys at the WJC. He looked fairly evenly matched if you want my honest opinion. Ovechkin, on the other hand dominated world-class talent at the World Cup at *19*. There were a couple games where he dwarfed All-World established talent. He outshone Kovalchuck.

And the age thing doesn't make sense to me. If you're saying Crosby is the next Lemieux, or Gretzky- and THAT much better than Ovechkin and Malkin, shouldn't he be their equivalent with less than a two year gap on both players? That's only logical.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
How many first overall picks went to teams expected to challenge for the Stanley Cup? None?

The last top of the line prospect drafted to a contending team was Pitkanen on the Flyers. And he didn't play the first year after his draft.

The previous "big name" prospect drafted to a contending team was Jason Spezza and Ottawa. And he was sent down.

The only other guy in the past 10 years drafted to a reasonably decent team was Joe Thornton to Boston. And while he stayed up, he certainly didn't play much.

A few teams would consider sending Crosby down (or hooking him up with a team in Europe), should they get the right to draft him. Ottawa would certainly be on that list, but they arn't alone.

So I would say Crosby is 95%+ to play next year in the NHL, but if the ping pong balls fall a certain way, and he has a so-so training camp.....

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
EroCaps said:
I have. Have you seen Ovechkin play? Or Malkin? I'm not sure how you can say Crosby is already a better player considering the two Russians performance at the World Cup and in the RSL, not to mention the WJC. Crosby was w/tourney MVP Bergeron and close second Carter. Ovechkin and Malkin both were almost islands. Yet, AO does his thing.

Crosby could win the Richard, but you have to give pure goal scoring ability to Ovechkin. SC is a playmaker, like Malkin- only smaller and maybe even a bit slower. He didn't look like a man against boys at the WJC. He looked fairly evenly matched if you want my honest opinion. Ovechkin, on the other hand dominated world-class talent at the World Cup at *19*. There were a couple games where he dwarfed All-World established talent. He outshone Kovalchuck.

And the age thing doesn't make sense to me. If you're saying Crosby is the next Lemieux, or Gretzky- and THAT much better than Ovechkin and Malkin, shouldn't he be their equivalent with less than a two year gap on both players? That's only logical.

First of all, Crosby played on a more talented team than both the Russian prospects. He was also assigned to play more of a checking role, as he backchecked, forechecked, and fought in the corners better than anyone in the tournament. He still managed to score almost as much as an older AO and EM. Also, I never said Crosby was the bext Lemieux or Gretzky, and i never said he was "THAT much better than Ovechkin or Malkin", but he is better now and will be better in the future. Actually, IMHO, Malkin will be better overall player in 5 years than AO. And yes, I have seen them play many a time.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Even if he doesnt make his NHL team for whatever reason I dont think he would be back in the Q, it seems like a waste of time and might even hurt his development with pure boredom.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
He won't be back in the Q. He was too good for that league at 16 years old, there is no point going back now. The only league good enough for him now is the NHL and that's where he will play.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd like to know how many of these American posters actually have seen Crosby, as the Canadian WJC games were NOT broadcasted on ESPN. I know, I am an American. I was able to see him as I had a friend record the Memorial Cup for me, and he was as advertised and maybe even more IMO. I've seen Ovechkin twice "not as much as Sid", but considering how poor the US WJC team ended up, I didn't see anything great of Ovechkin or Malkin. Crosby is a different player, he's got the ability to change direction and out-maneuver opposition players like few I have ever seen, he is extremely strong and although smallish, he can handle his own against much bigger players. His passing ability is un-canny, his ability to out-think everyone else on the ice is similar to Wayne. His shot is very good, the guy is special, as others have stated, he's already got a tool kit that very FEW in the NHL can come close to rivaling. Ovechkin??? Yeah, he's got size, he can skate, very good shot. But he doesn't have 1/2 of the intangibles that Sid does, and that's why he's such a special player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sid out-score Alexander in their 1st NHL season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
It's very arguable whether Kovalchuk has reached his prime.

At least, you are consistent with yourself. You're rushing judgment on Crosby/Ovechkin and you are also babbling about Forsberg and a young Kovalchuk and comparing some non-existent prime years.

For your interest, Ilya has a better track record as a dominant player than Peter had at his age.

You're right Kovalchuk is likely 2-3 years from his prime. So unless Ilya starts to throw his body,play MUCH better defensively, and become a hell of a play-maker I think that the choice is obvious??? Unless of course you expect him to score 60-50-110 very soon and become a + player???

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
hockeyman28 said:

Crosby has a higher ceiling than Ovechkin, but he is not as good as Alexander at the moment.

I got to see Sidney for the first time in Grand Forks for the WJC and originally came away disapointed. Maybe I let all the hype get to me, but I was expecting to see him dominate like the "great one".
While Sid scored a few goals and was one of the best players on the ice, his age still showed. In a tournament of that level he seemed to be a notch below older guys like Bergeron and Carter. Still, what he did as an '87 in an '85 tournament is mind blowing.
However, if he's playing second fiddle to Bergeron and Carter in the WJC, there's no way he's outscoring guys like Datsyuk, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, etc. in the World Championships like Ovechkin did. In addition, Ovechkin had the 2nd most shots on that team.

Ovechkin at the WJC was just a physical monster. He controlled the tempo of the game everytime he touched the puck.

Sid's amazing but he is not at Ovechkin's level......yet.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Zine said:
Crosby has a higher ceiling than Ovechkin, but he is not as good as Alexander at the moment.

I got to see Sidney for the first time in Grand Forks for the WJC and originally came away disapointed. Maybe I let all the hype get to me, but I was expecting to see him dominate like the "great one".
While Sid scored a few goals and was one of the best players on the ice, his age still showed. In a tournament of that level he seemed to be a notch below older guys like Bergeron and Carter. Still, what he did as an '87 in an '85 tournament is mind blowing.
However, if he's playing second fiddle to Bergeron and Carter in the WJC, there's no way he's outscoring guys like Datsyuk, Kovalev, Kovalchuk, etc. in the World Championships like Ovechkin did. In addition, Ovechkin had the 2nd most shots on that team.

Ovechkin at the WJC was just a physical monster. He controlled the tempo of the game everytime he touched the puck.

Sid's amazing but he is not at Ovechkin's level......yet.

Do you consider the fact that on top of being an '87 in a '85 tournament, he was playing out of position and had little responsabilities ? Crosby ain't a sniper, he's a playmaker and he didn't get the opportunity to shine because of the role he had. He nonetheless did very well in the role he was asked to play.

The WJCs is the worst sample to judge Crosby on that I've seen. And I've watched A LOT of his games.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
pei fan said:
P.S. does anyone here honestly believe Crosby is going to sign a 2 way contract
with an NHL club? :shakehead

Yes I do. He won't have much choice in the matter. All rookies contracts were 2-way under the old CBA and this isn't likely to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad