What Happened to Kyle Turris?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
You mean like the former sens forward leading the playoffs in goals and points and who recently got nominated for the Selke?

Or like the former sen who is second among defensemen in points in the playoffs?

Or like the two former sens goalies leading the playoffs in save % and wins?

Or like the former sens forward leading Columbus in goals and points in the playoffs?
Or....
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Those small market teams and their overated players lol

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Unfortunately, as harsh as this sounds, it's pretty much bang on. His numbers are actually a little better than you'd think from watching him. So many games he was just utterly invisible and ineffectual out there.

I don't think teams in the modern era really let players onto the ice if they are so physically impaired that they can't contribute. So the twice-broken foot sounds like a bit of an excuse. He was cleared to play, but when he played he was useless.

We needed a good #2C real bad, motivating that trade, and it seemed like a perfect solution at the time. But it has really been a horrible bust so far. And the contract is just getting started. We got a pretty bum deal from the Sens I say... all the fans seemed to give glowing reports about him, but we have simply not seen that player. :(

The foot is tough. I broke mine, it didn't heal properly. Never will. I cam still walk fine and stuff, but it aches/hurts literally every day, and it limits my endurance. I have to be carefully with impact stuff like running, as there is a risk of breaking it again. But theoretically I am healed. But I'll literally never be the same. And my skating has gone to hell. I don't have the same push off from that foot as I used to.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Turris struggled with his lack of size, strength and exceptional speed in Ottawa, but compensated with smarts, passing skills and a knack for timely snipes. He never won puck battles and got knocked around a lot. If I recall correctly, the Senators had Turris and his good friend Patrick Wiercioch, a tall but very skinny defenceman, on their own summer conditioning program to gain weight and strength. Didn't seem to work for either of them.

Last edited:

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Turris looks like he peaked and is in free fall. This is why you do not sign 6 year contracts unless it's a hall of fame player.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
It went like this from memories of reading HF:

*Drafted by Coyotes*
He's a bust.
*Traded to Ottawa*
Oh, no wait he's not a bust.
*Traded to Nashville*
Ok, hold on he was a bust after all.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He had one big year, mainly driven by Mark Stone's emergence. He was always a tad overrated. Decent player but nothing special and never a premier player or anything.

Of course playing with Mark Stone would be beneficial to any player though Turris did fine before Stone came into the league. I don't think anyone ever confused him with a premier player. He did fine as the top centre in Ottawa, he wasn't a perfect fit for that role but he never held the team back. His struggles in Nashville go beyond him ever being overrated. Less offensive opportunity and injury issues are significant factors in his struggles.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Never was that good. When you are drafted high people constantly try come up with reasons why you aren’t performing up to the level expected for your draft slot. Turris just wasn’t more than a mid to low 2C

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
He got off to a great start when he got there right? Than it went downhill?
Yeah, about, he had some good games starting off. He's just never really put it together playing for us. Gets outworked for the puck most shifts.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Never was that good. When you are drafted high people constantly try come up with reasons why you aren’t performing up to the level expected for your draft slot. Turris just wasn’t more than a mid to low 2C

And we'd be ecstatic if he played like a mid to low 2C, Nashville couldn't ask for more, but he looked so bad this past year when he did play.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what the Nashville pro scouts were saying about him before the trade. Preds really went out of their way to get him and sign him to that favorable extension. Even in his best moments here after the trade, before the points dried up and he vanished in the playoffs, I can see sort of the same player now as when he was at least getting some more decent production last year.

Last year Fiala tended to drive the play and while Turris occasionally picked up the assist, he could have been just about any warm body cruising through the zone in Fiala's wake - it didn't seem like he did anything in particular to facilitate the goals Fiala or Smith scored? Or is that just revisionist history on my part? I don't know what Turris does out there. He has enough basic skill to play with 2nd line players. But doesn't really DO anything on his own. I never paid any attention to him in Ottawa, just expected from his decent stats lines and all the praise I kept reading from Sens fans that he'd be more than he turned out to be. Granlund coming in so cold completed the desecration of our 2nd line, alas. I hope the Wild fans who gushed about Granlund won't turn out to be similarly wrong too! I don't think they will. But jeez, that would hurt. :eek:

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Preds system is the only answer. Every forward we trade for gets less points when they come to Nashville. It's not possible that EVERY player gets worse somehow when they come here. So the obvious and only answer is the system.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
And we'd be ecstatic if he played like a mid to low 2C, Nashville couldn't ask for more, but he looked so bad this past year when he did play.

Unfortunately that was his peak. Now he’s a 3C performing at a 4C level.

He’s the type of guy who would be ok on a dynamic offensive team. Never understood the trade by Nashville. They needed a more dynamic playmaker/scorer with a physical edge.

Nashville hasn’t had a top notch center since Forsberg.

Ryan Johansen is a 2C. Hard to win with him as your 1C and Turris as your 2C even with a stacked D.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Unfortunately that was his peak. Now he’s a 3C performing at a 4C level.

He’s the type of guy who would be ok on a dynamic offensive team. Never understood the trade by Nashville. They needed a more dynamic playmaker/scorer with a physical edge.

Nashville hasn’t had a top notch center since Forsberg.

Ryan Johansen is a 2C. Hard to win with him as your 1C and Turris as your 2C even with a stacked D.

I'd disagree. Johansen wasn't the problem. He was PPG throughout most of the season despite missing both Arvidsson and Forsberg for an extended part of the season.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He was a better player in Ottawa but you could see signs of a decline no doubt prior to him being traded. With his physical stature he wasn't going to have a long peak.

In hindsight the trade by Ottawa only looks bad because of the semi-unpredictable absolute tank job that followed suit. Bowers might be a serviceable 3rd liner but the jury is out. Turris is going to be a bad contract for years to come. 4th overall for 1.5 years of Duchene...meh, not great, not completely franchise altering even if it stings.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The average NHL player peaks at 25, Turris is 29. He was a quality second line center 4 years ago, but with 4 years of decline this is no longer the case. If Kadri is traded this offseason the team he goes to will end up in a similar situation.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd disagree. Johansen wasn't the problem. He was PPG throughout most of the season despite missing both Arvidsson and Forsberg for an extended part of the season.

Ryan Johansen had a solid season but his numbers are consistently in the range of a low end 1C/ high end 2C. The oft cited argument for him is that he turns it on in the playoffs, but that didn't come to fruition this season. Johansen isn't a bad player by any means but he's also not a top tier center even though he is paid as one.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ryan Johansen had a solid season but his numbers are consistently in the range of a low end 1C/ high end 2C. The oft cited argument for him is that he turns it on in the playoffs, but that didn't come to fruition this season. Johansen isn't a bad player by any means but he's also not a top tier center even though he is paid as one.
I think he's puts up more points on a team that doesn't run their offense from the back end, and I feel that way about all of our forwards not named Arvidsson.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006

35th in points (64) for Centers is not going to hack it unless you have 3 high 50s low 60s point centermen.

Considering that goal scoring issues continue to be the theme for the Predators, I would argue that the C position isn’t providing enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad