What Happened Between the Rangers and McIlrath

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I guess the logical reasons too much to handle when you're a real big fan boy I mean I remember when I was young I made all sorts of excuses for Pierre larouche but at least that guy was actually an NHL her at one point and had a very successful career as a goal scorer.

The point is, really hard for me to believe that the Rangers are this corrupt organization doing everything they can against mcilrath, it's almost as if you're saying the whole system is rigged!!!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I guess the logical reasons too much to handle when you're a real big fan boy I mean I remember when I was young I made all sorts of excuses for Pierre larouche but at least that guy was actually an NHL her at one point and had a very successful career as a goal scorer.

The point is, really hard for me to believe that the Rangers are this corrupt organization doing everything they can against mcilrath, it's almost as if you're saying the whole system is rigged!!!

4136302940_030bf67ebf_z.jpg

Yes. That is what has been reported.

Either way, does the flu lead to terrible play with the puck?

Poor conditioning sure, but all those giveaways Skjei committed that simply weren't necessary I have a hard time blaming the flu on.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Excuses for Pierre? While he had some defensive weakness he was a point a game scorer for us from day 1 till the day he retired.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I guess you missed the part when he was sent down to the minors. Maybe you're watching Nicky play for the Whalers back then ��

I did not miss that at all. I was really upset as were most Ranger fans. Sator treated Pierre, Beck, Reijo, and Pav in a pretty questionable way. Pierre was sent down before the season even started by Sator who was our new coach. Pierre scored like crazy in the minors that season and then when Sator and the Rangers had no choice but to recall him Pierre scored like crazy for us. Something like 20 goals in 27 games.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

So basically "You're all stupid, have no logic and are just fanboys"...oh and let's not forget "Thinly veiled need to self aggrandize" Awesome. Clearly you're here to have an adult discussion :rolleyes:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
"But he just cannot move the puck in a way that will make him effective on the current Rangers team".

Mcilrath is no Karlsson but he is better at moving the puck than Girardi, Staal and Holden.... That doesnt say alot but imo he is better than all 3 of them when it comes to breaking out of the defensive sone with the puck on his stick or with a pass. That doesnt mean he is very good at it, it means i think he is better than the 3 others because they are horrible at it!

Best puckmovers on our team imo:
Clendening
Mcdonagh
Skjei
Klein
Mcilrath
Girardi
Staal
Holden

Yandle-Mcilrath pairing was our best pair last season imo. Mcilrath didnt play very good away from Yandle but they played very solid when they got paired together. Im not saying i think Mcilrath is what we need, but i dont think he got a fair chance at all. Playing Holden on the right side instead of Clendening is laughable and AV should almost be fired for doing it, playing Holden over Mcilrath is poor management at best.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I did not miss that at all. I was really upset as were most Ranger fans. Sator treated Pierre, Beck, Reijo, and Pav in a pretty questionable way. Pierre was sent down before the season even started by Sator who was our new coach. Pierre scored like crazy in the minors that season and then when Sator and the Rangers had no choice but to recall him Pierre scored like crazy for us. Something like 20 goals in 27 games.

I agree more than less with where Bluenote13 is going with McIlrath but not on Pierre Larouche who was sent to the AHL--and not just the AHL but to Hershey which wasn't even the Rangers farm team because Sator had to show everyone who was the boss. That was nothing but the most petty ****. And pretty soon Pavelich just quit, Beck retired really young and Reijo went back home to Finland and then later on win at least two Stanley Cups. Ted Sator was a goofball and one of the most horrible coaches ever--maybe even the worst the Rangers have ever had and the Rangers have had some pretty bad ones.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He can't defend 1 on 1. It's that simple. You can't have a defenseman out there whom you can't trust not to allow regular breakaways because the other team made a sudden line change and he can't stop first line offensive stickhandlers.

Mcilrath should practice 1 on 1 against skilled forwards every day. Even in Hartford, have Nieves, Kovacs or someone else with speed charge at him for an hour after practice. He should've asked MZA, Nash, Mika, Butcher, some other skilled guys to do at least a little of this every day with him. In Hartford it wouldn't even be a favor, the prospects there could use the time trying to go around a big defenseman with some NHL experience, and Mcilrath woud benefit big by learning to stop them consistently.

If you're not an offense guy, and Dylan is not, then you need to learn to be a shutdown guy. This means you shut down the forwards coming at you with speed and skill every single time.

Did you just describe Holden and Girardi?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Did you just describe Holden and Girardi?

This is what I wrote about Holden when we just got him:

He's terrible. Awful waste of a mid-round pick on a garbage player.

That said, vets will always get priority over rookies with any coach. We got this with Roger Nielsen, Keenan, Colon Cancer, Dark Age coaches, Renney, Torts, now AV. No coach we'll ever get will take someone who played 38 NHL games over 2 guys who have almost 1,000 games of NHL experience between the 2 of them unless the rookie is significantly better.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree more than less with where Bluenote13 is going with McIlrath but not on Pierre Larouche who was sent to the AHL--and not just the AHL but to Hershey which wasn't even the Rangers farm team because Sator had to show everyone who was the boss. That was nothing but the most petty ****. And pretty soon Pavelich just quit, Beck retired really young and Reijo went back home to Finland and then later on win at least two Stanley Cups. Ted Sator was a goofball and one of the most horrible coaches ever--maybe even the worst the Rangers have ever had and the Rangers have had some pretty bad ones.

You have a good memory. I think Pierre scored over 20 goals in Hersey as well as like 20 for us that season. Plus he had that great playoff run. Willie Huber was another Ranger that had issues with that coach. Its a shame because the guys you mentioned were a big part of our team.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
maybe the fact every single NHL team passed on him including a team like the Devils speaks volumes. Don't know how it wouldn't?! Before that it was definitely a plausible theory that it was the Rangers having no belief in his abilities. and i am sure plenty of GM's saw the tape of him when he played with Yandle last year when he did pretty well? would it be possible he regressed this year?
I still would like him to get into the lineup over G or Holden because of his youth and physicality.
also gotta give him credit for being a professional after going thru all of this.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
SKjei had a virus and Joe said he lost 5+ pounds. I believe that completely. He was literally off balance and disoriented during the first preseason game. Compared to how he is now, there's no doubt Skjei is so much better than McIlrath in every respect.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
1.) Adequate is a good description for how he was last season when you take into account the whole 34 games and not just his stint with Yandle. The problem is that I can't even count how many players I've seen have adequate short periods of time in the NHL that didn't amount to anything. He came into camp needing to build on what he did and he failed.

2.) McIlrath is not a better puck mover than Holden or Girardi. That's not saying those guys are better, either. All 3 of them are mediocre, at best, when it comes to moving the puck.

3.) Raspewtin, if you don't think having the flu cause you to lose 10 pounds in a short period of time doesn't affect your game negatively, I don't know what to tell you. Skjei had a good reason why his camp was lackluster, but that's really not even the point. We are talking about McIlraths failures here. What Skjei did doesn't matter. What Holden and Girardi did don't matter. McIlrath was bad this preseason and showed multiple signs of regression. That's that.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
3.) Raspewtin, if you don't think having the flu cause you to lose 10 pounds in a short period of time doesn't affect your game negatively, I don't know what to tell you. Skjei had a good reason why his camp was lackluster, but that's really not even the point. We are talking about McIlraths failures here. What Skjei did doesn't matter. What Holden and Girardi did don't matter. McIlrath was bad this preseason and showed multiple signs of regression. That's that.

I like, didn't say this.

I actually said that his conditioning was probably really bad because of it which could've tanked his game. I didn't notice it but i believe it .

It's that Skjei looked like what he did last year, could skate like the wind but had absolutely no concept of NHL positioning and was clueless with the puck on his stick. He looked the same.

If you don't understand the context of the treatment of Skjei here go back and read it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like, didn't say this.

I actually said that his conditioning was probably really bad because of it which could've tanked his game. I didn't notice it but i believe it .

It's that Skjei looked like what he did last year, could skate like the wind but had absolutely no concept of NHL positioning and was clueless with the puck on his stick. He looked the same.

If you don't understand the context of the treatment of Skjei here go back and read it.

Yeah, you asked if the flu leads to terrible play with the puck. The answer to that question is unequivocally that it can. You can't separate mental from physical.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I really wish this narrative that he's a horrible puck mover would die. Rag on the kid for his very poor lateral agility and mobility, but the kid can separate people from the puck and make smart outlet passes to his partner and near side forward. This was a huge reason why he and Yandle worked so well together: he did the grunt work to create space, and then Yandle took care of the rest.

Not a huge Mcllrath fan but I think this is spot on assessment of him. I wouldn't mind him as the 6D, limit his minutes to 15 ish per game and have a guy who you know can lay out a big hit or drop the gloves if needed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Skjei is a left D that can move over to the right. There's no way that I would even consider moving McIlrath to the left. Skjei is a better player than McIlrath. I don't see an argument for keeping McIlrath over Skjei.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
but Alain let McIlrath do the starting line up announce in the locker room on opening night. How do you explain that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad