What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I've got no qualms matching jerseys and socks, but clean jerseys only. At 41 I'm not ever gonna be caught with a 25 year old's name on my back. A Jagr..or maybe a Neely or something though ..maybe?

Head to toe black with a Malkin shirt on is overdoing it a little though.

Matching your socks to the jersey isn't a big deal imo unless the intent to look like a pro is obvious. The guy who skates in an old panthers Jovo jersey and red socks is fine. The guy who comes out in a full ovi uniform with matching tinted visor is getting chirped every time I stop his shot

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
Bauer's with black Tuuk's

Fishbowl

Graf skates

At least these are in high school hockey.

Mikwammichi

Jun 25, 2014
Bauer's with black Tuuk's

Fishbowl

Graf skates

At least these are in high school hockey.

For those puzzled, see above. High school....

The great thing about being an adult is you get to wear whatever brands you want :)

I wear Graf's, but would try any other brand if it fit right. Fit and quality don't matter to some teenagers, so they wear Vapors regardless :)

(not to say learning to fit in with your peers isn't a valuable skill, but I wouldn't kill my feet to fit in with anyone)(which is why I haven't worn heels for like a year hehe)

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Despite chirping being legitimately a big part of the game, and me filling a "tough guy" role on my team (due to limited skill), I absolutely hate chirping and never do it. The things that make me shake my head, however, are
A) coloured blade tape or "zebra" blades
B) random socks (like the guys wearing red/blue/white Montreal socks with our green/yellow/white jerseys on my old team)
C) white gloves
D) random coloured pants
And most of all E) people that chirp at guys for 90% of the things mentioned in this thread.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Despite chirping being legitimately a big part of the game, and me filling a "tough guy" role on my team (due to limited skill), I absolutely hate chirping and never do it. The things that make me shake my head, however, are
A) coloured blade tape or "zebra" blades
B) random socks (like the guys wearing red/blue/white Montreal socks with our green/yellow/white jerseys on my old team)
C) white gloves
D) random coloured pants
And most of all E) people that chirp at guys for 90% of the things mentioned in this thread.

Seriously? :help:

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
You're just asking for trouble if you're the guy who shows up in these while wearing jeans under your shin guards. I've seen this before.

mpLbVQVJFLA3o_L_ojdwbOA.jpg

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tough guy as in not scoring much, playing more defensively, and hitting a lot. Tough guy may be the wrong thing to call it. Is grinder better?

Maybe lol I suppose it depends on what you classify as 'hitting'. No rec league I've ever heard of allows intentional body contact, but I digress.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
nothing worse than guys who try to goon it up in beer league

we're all paying to play and most of us have to go to work the next morning. there's no room for "goons" in beer league hockey where only minimal contact is allowed

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I'm with Yake on this one. I'm already paying a few hundred dollars - or at least had in the past - to skate during late weeknight hours. Every league that I've played in always had a beer league Matt Cooke trying to be a role player with elbows and some board/stick work that you typically shouldn't see in low level minors much less a low level rec league.

Without going into a long story about my experiences, I am now basically retired due to a "role player" who felt the need to hit in a low level, no contact league.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I still think it's about striking a balance. You don't want to hurt anyone, but some people are faster than others and some others are bigger and stronger than others.

If the little guy can use his speed to his advantage, then I see no problem with a bigger guy using his size to his advantage where possible and when the opportunity presents.

It doesn't mean you're going to try and wipe anyone out and obviously the rules and refs aren't geared up for accommodating that type of play, but if you can put a guy off his game a little or have him looking over his shoulder then it's going to benefit your team.

It doesn't mean you have to be a thug or cheap shot anyone either. Some guys are overly precious.

Valentulum

Jan 17, 2015
White helmets...

I'm looking to upgrade my Bauer, and I've been digging the white look lately, but I'm curious if having a white helmet will get me chirped badly or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I have one because that is what was offered. No one has said anything, I mean it's not white gloves...

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I have one because that is what was offered. No one has said anything, I mean it's not white gloves...

lol! pretty much this. I prefer dark helmets but I do have a white one if I ever need it. yellow might get you chirped but white shouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad