What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Beer league equipment no-no's

What are some of the most chirpable equipment offenses you guys have seen in beer league?

For me it's definitely:

-Tinted visors
-Colored laces
-Colored blade tape
-Turtlenecks under jerseys (saw this more often during gretzky's time, thankfully not so much anymore)
-Wearing numbers such as 99, 66, 87, 68
-Wearing numbers like 0, 00, 69 (watch out guys! we've got a badass over here)
-Nicknames on the backs of jerseys instead of last names

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
seriously. who the eff cares what equipment other people use? I'm more concerned about people who play like jerks, e.g., not passing, playing 3 levels down, cheap shots, 5 minute shifts etc.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
seriously. who the eff cares what equipment other people use? I'm more concerned about people who play like jerks, e.g., not passing, playing 3 levels down, cheap shots, 5 minute shifts etc.

The two usually go hand in hand (wearing questionable equipment & playing like a d%$#).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't get what the big deal is. I mean, we're not pros. I got chirped a bit from my own team because I wore white skates (the Bauer Supreme LEs) that I got from my wife as a gift. I think they look pretty cool.

As said above, if you're not being a dick it shouldn't really matter what you're sporting on the ice. It's supposed to be fun.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm all for people expressing their individuality on the ice. If we all bought the same stuff it would be pretty boring. When I first started playing hockey in SoCal I had 1 store to buy from and that was at the rink I played at. No internet, no catalogues, they carried Koho so I wore Koho gear, Koho stick, Koho bag. Now we all have a lot of choices so go for it.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

yeah the two almost always go hand in hand

and jeeze guys i didn't intend this thread to be about "oh c'mon man quit judging other people's gear." it's all in good fun. i could care less if someone is playing in old, cheap gear but if you're wearing #87 and sporting a tinted visor you deserve to get chirped to no end

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
yeah the two almost always go hand in hand

and jeeze guys i didn't intend this thread to be about "oh c'mon man quit judging other people's gear." it's all in good fun. i could care less if someone is playing in old, cheap gear but if you're wearing #87 and sporting a tinted visor you deserve to get chirped to no end

How does that affect your game or your life? It's one thing to be joking around with a buddy, but for what possible reason could you care about what someone else wear's when they play?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
How does that affect your game or your life? It's one thing to be joking around with a buddy, but for what possible reason could you care about what someone else wear's when they play?

you answered your own question

chirping someone's gear is pretty much the equivalent of joking around with a buddy. am i going to approach a guy after my game and say "hey nice pink laces (Mod edit)!" i think it's hilarious how uptight you all are about something that's simply part of the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Folks, it's a fun topic - either take it in that spirit and have fun, or move on.

SaintTavares

Jul 8, 2009
Brooklyn
you answered your own question

chirping someone's gear is pretty much the equivalent of joking around with a buddy. am i going to approach a guy after my game and say "hey nice pink laces (Mod edit)!" i think it's hilarious how uptight you all are about something that's simply part of the game

Obviously it's not something that's "simply part of the game" if you seem to be the only one doing it. There's a difference between joking around with friends and making it seem like you're going after guys you don't know for simply what they are wearing. You didn't make the clear anywhere in your post.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Obviously it's not something that's "simply part of the game" if you seem to be the only one doing it. There's a difference between joking around with friends and making it seem like you're going after guys you don't know for simply what they are wearing. You didn't make the clear anywhere in your post.

i'm the only one chirping?

either you play in some sort of church league or you don't play at all. there's been chirping in every league i've ever played in, as a kid and now as an adult. it's all in good fun and in the spirit of competition on the ice only. i thought this was commonplace but i guess things have changed these days

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Wow, I'm impressed, a lot of people must play in the MTHL (Mother Theresa Hockey League). So, if I show up wearing #99, a tinted visor, and Ovechkin laces hanging down off my pants down to my ankles, everyone there is seriously going to say...."oh, what a nice chap, he's just expressing his individuality"?

I guess my contribution to the thread is the Ovechkin-esque laces hanging down off the pants (laces themselves are no big deal). Coloured laces on skates I don't see as a big deal. Coloured blade tape seems to be popular with some kids today.

Most chirping from your own team will be good natured, from the other team maybe or maybe not, but I agree it will ultimately depend on how you play.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
I'm all for people expressing their individuality on the ice. If we all bought the same stuff it would be pretty boring. When I first started playing hockey in SoCal I had 1 store to buy from and that was at the rink I played at. No internet, no catalogues, they carried Koho so I wore Koho gear, Koho stick, Koho bag. Now we all have a lot of choices so go for it.

Individuality is fine. Copying someone elses equipment & play style is the opposite of individuality.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there is nothing wrong with individuality on the ice. but wearing #8 and sporting a tinted visor with yellow laces and tucking your jersey in is the furthest thing from that.

and it shocks me that most of you actually think that a scenario like the one i listed above is an example of "individuality" want to stand out in terms of style? pick a number that you rarely ever see. that'll make you stand out more than anything and in a much better way than a tinted visor will

Jul 31, 2005
CA
there is nothing wrong with individuality on the ice. but wearing #8 and sporting a tinted visor with yellow laces and tucking your jersey in is the furthest thing from that.

and it shocks me that most of you actually think that a scenario like the one i listed above is an example of "individuality" want to stand out in terms of style? pick a number that you rarely ever see. that'll make you stand out more than anything and in a much better way than a tinted visor will

Wearing a costume is one thing, having pink laces or rainbow gloves is another. I've seen my fair share of equipment where I thought to myself "why would you buy that" but I wouldn't yell at the guy because I don't care. The clear CCM helmets, one of the best guys I've ever played against had rainbow gloves, some of the guys who wear pink stuff do it as a salute to somebody they knew who had cancer.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
either you play in some sort of church league or you don't play at all. there's been chirping in every league i've ever played in, as a kid and now as an adult. it's all in good fun and in the spirit of competition on the ice only. i thought this was commonplace but i guess things have changed these days

There's not a lot of chirping in my rec league, although part of that may be because I hate that sort of thing and look for leagues where it's kept to a minimum.

I do remember once (back in the day, as it were), we were playing Metro State University and they had a player who was wearing #69. I started to get on him about it, and he clearly wasn't happy (among other things, he claimed that it wasn't his typical sweater).

Late in the game, we were losing 7-6, and he took a baseball bat-style swing at my head. I ducked, he got a major penalty, and we scored twice to win 8-7.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I only chrip people if they have "lace hang". Jeez, you're not Evgeni Malkin! Same with those who want to have "cage hang".

Last edited:

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
I think you're free to chirp other guy's equipment choices if they are D bags.

If you're some whiny punk that's been hacking me all game, I'm definitely bringing up the fact that you are wearing white gloves and a mirrored visor, and you look like an ***hole

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
upside down socks,

the bell bottom look is so sad, and you will 100% get chirped "its not the 70's"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad