What does the average Oiler fan actually think?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
There is a lot of vitriol about the Oilers situation on HF and rightfully so. It appears that there is an unprecedented level of ineptitude and cronyism running this show and things may not change very quickly. I don't necessarily think that the " 80's Oilers" have our best interests at heart anymore.

Is this indicative of the average Oiler fans attitude though? Or is this just a group mentality on here? When I talk to other people including friends who are Oiler fans but don't post on here, I get the picture they don't see things are as bad as I do or most of us do. When I read some of the things on here, my anger boils over. Does not having access to this and only hearing what the dumbed down media reports change that perception for other fans? I think there is a more complete overview of the things happening on here and a more complete picture, although some of it can be rumors.

And lastly will season ticket sales or even regular ticket sales ever be affected? It seems like there is always people willing to shell out big dollars for these games despite the product being offered. Like they are just going for the sake of a game and not the actual product being sold if that makes sense. A change in sales is the only thing that can change this. Lots of questions at this point.

Reactions: Slicknitty

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think the average oiler fan is actually pretty close to HFOIL. I remember thinking this in the past, that HFOIL is just a echo chamber a bit and disconnected from the average fan. Then people started throwing jerseys on the ice and booing at games. I think HFOIL is actually pretty close to what the average fan thinks. I think the average fan is getting pretty pissed off. The average fan loved Hall and are now watching him perhaps win a Hart trophy. They get whats up. They also know that we essentially traded Barzal for Rienhart, and Lucic is horrible.

I think the average fan is getting pretty fed up.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
looks like year two that im not shelling out cash to travel to edm to watch the boys play. i think most fans that really follow the club are hitting the end of there rope. now that playoffs have started makes me and im sure others even more ****** off. they have to get there **** together and fast ,sick of cheering for what most other fans call the joke of the NHL :banghead:

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't count on people not going to games to make a statement. As long as McDaddy plays for the Oilers, tickets will be sold. To me, just to get to watch him live is worth the price of admission.

Reactions: Aerrol

YEGman

Dec 21, 2009
Edmonton
Contrary to a post I made in early 2018, due to my 25-year old and his pals wanting to keep 'em I renewed for the 24th year in order to pass on my priority to him in due course.

I will let the Board know when I get the Seat Upgrade Notice this spring to see how many seats are up for grabs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton Journal poll had 77% of its respondents wanting Chiarelli fired instead of brought back next year.

There's a lot of disappointment and anger among average fans, I think the common sentiment is they were excited to be excited about the Oilers again and then got subjected to another year of the same old crap and it really took the wind out of the city.

They will never have a problem selling tickets because of a metro population past 1 million in Northern Alberta, it's simply too easy to find 18,000 people 41 times a year that want to watch Connor McDavid play hockey.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think the average fan has tuned out or at least doesn’t pay much attention to the team unless there is a reason to like last years playoffs. It’s just the die-hards that read hockey forums that follow the day to day goings on or care enough to get upset with how the team is mismanaged.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think the average fan has tuned out or at least doesn’t pay much attention to the team unless there is a reason to like last years playoffs. It’s just the die-hards that read hockey forums that follow the day to day goings on or care enough to get upset with how the team is mismanaged.
This is exactly the feeling I get.

And yes, having Connor, they will always fill the seats no matter what. Feel terrible for him.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton Journal poll had 77% of its respondents wanting Chiarelli fired instead of brought back next year.

There's a lot of disappointment and anger among average fans, I think the common sentiment is they were excited to be excited about the Oilers again and then got subjected to another year of the same old crap and it really took the wind out of the city.

They will never have a problem selling tickets because of a metro population past 1 million in Northern Alberta, it's simply too easy to find 18,000 people 41 times a year that want to watch Connor McDavid play hockey.

Yes, people are dreaming if they ever think there will be boycot, just too much demand. That said it isn't like fans anger goes no where. Clearly management eventually gets it. They understand they can't completly piss off their fans.

77% is pretty dam high, I bet that is the highest of any GM in the league if you were to do the same poll in every city.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I have been a season seat holder now since 97 and there have been years where I thought I might give up my seats. But every time I think about it I changed my mind because it would be just my luck that I give them up and they start winning every year. And every year since we drafted hall there has been an optimism that things are going to change and every year were met with disappointment except last year. I only go yo about 15 games a year and things might be different if I was unable to sell my tickets but every year they still sell. Maybe because I ask only what I pay for with no mark up. It doesn't matter because every year there will be people waiting in line for season seats that will never change.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I like to use my old man as a gauge of a typical tier 1 oilers fan. He would always argue with me about how things aren't so bad, and you can trust guys like Lowe and MacT. He barely pays attention to day to day Oilers stuff, so a lot of his opinion is still formed based on the glory days he lived though. But he has turned in the last couple years. He is even legitimately PO'd about the Hall trade. I didn't even think he knew the full details of that trade, lol, but he talks about it now. The worm is slooooowwlly turning. The Oilers are hitting bad notes with even the too busy to really pay attention unless you're actually at a game crowd.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like to use my old man as a gauge of a typical tier 1 oilers fan. He would always argue with me about how things aren't so bad, and you can trust guys like Lowe and MacT. He barely pays attention to day to day Oilers stuff, so a lot of his opinion is still formed based on the glory days he lived though. But he has turned in the last couple years. He is even legitimately PO'd about the Hall trade. I didn't even think he knew the full details of that trade, lol, but he talks about it now. The worm is slooooowwlly turning.

My dad, RIP, was a lot different. Had a pretty suspect view of the Oilers after the glory years. to the degree that he just took up watching other sports more. I knew he'd jumped the shark for good when he started watching golf on TV (shudder).

The one exception, the genuine one, is that he loved Ryan Smyth as much as I did. Some people cut through the layers of fat and hubris, you know here or there an individual is genuine, really wanting the same as fans, caring about fans etc.

Other than Smyth you could have missed 3 decades of Oilers hockey and not missed much that warms your heart.

With apologies to 97,98 Oilers but Smyth was the beating heart of that club. Not Smith.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There is tremendous disappointment among even casual fans in the city. Not only because of the hockey side but because last year was FUN for the first time in ages, a lot of people socialized and were out having beers and going out to watch games in groups of friends.

This year has been a big kick in the balls to the city, people so were so excited to have a good team again, there was such a good vibe around town and this season IMO more than any one of the last 10+ years hurts the "casual fan" more.

If you think it's just message board people who are upset, you're wrong. It's a giant buzz kill, not just the hockey stuff, but people being able to go out in Oilers gear and get together and have fun watching the games.

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
There is tremendous disappointment among even casual fans in the city. Not only because of the hockey side but because last year was FUN for the first time in ages, a lot of people socialized and were out having beers and going out to watch games in groups of friends.

This year has been a big kick in the balls to the city, people so were so excited to have a good team again, there was such a good vibe around town and this season IMO more than any one of the last 10+ years hurts the "casual fan" more.

If you think it's just message board people who are upset, you're wrong. It's a giant buzz kill, not just the hockey stuff, but people being able to go out in Oilers gear and get together and have fun watching the games.
I agree the casual fan is disappointed, last spring was fun, but I’m not sure about how upset they are. I think this team, through the decade of darkness, has lost a generation of hard core fans. They’ve found other things to do with their time and money. They’ll jump up on the bandwagon during good times and have more fun then but I really don’t think they care much past that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree the casual fan is disappointed, last spring was fun, but I’m not sure about how upset they are. I think this team, through the decade of darkness, has lost a generation of hard core fans. They’ve found other things to do with their time and money. They’ll jump up on the bandwagon during good times and have more fun then but I really don’t think they care much past that.

Calgary is more like that. Even Vancouver. Edmonton is not. Oilers are much more of an institution. How many people and kids have McDavid jerseys? This hurts, parents having to explain to their kids why the Oilers are bad again this year probably doesn't make sense to a lot of kids.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yeah, these years of darkness has actually led me to jump on other bandwagons such as the Raptors. I would have never sought them out if the Oilers were a perennial playoff team. Now that I have, I'm starting to find the entertainment value well on par, sometimes better, with hockey. If this continues for more years, I may just find myself tuning into basketball even when there is an Oiler game, and if that can happen to someone 40 years into Oilers fandom, that is too bad.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It honestly felt like you could tangibly feel the sense of shock around the city over this season. It felt like a dark cloud had settled back in.

If you want to see bandwagon city, come to Calgary, you won't see a Flames jersey or hat around town much at all these days, in Edmonton you still see lots of people wearing Oilers gear even through a tough year like this one.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, these years of darkness has actually led me to jump on other bandwagons such as the Raptors. I would have never sought them out if the Oilers were a perennial playoff team. Now that I have, I'm starting to find the entertainment value well on par, sometimes better, with hockey. If this continues for more years, I may just find myself tuning into basketball even when there is an Oiler game, and if that can happen to someone 40 years into Oilers fandom, that is too bad.
I’m in the same boat as you. I’m disappointed the Oilers aren’t making the playoffs but I’m okay with it ,I guess, because I’m excited about the Raptors post season, Toronto FC’s CONCACAF Champions Series run and the start of the Blue Jays season and I’m not really expecting much from the Jays. Ten years ago I wouldn’t have given two shots about the Raptors even if they were good and I never thought I’d care enough about professional soccer to watch a game let alone be excited about one. The Jays I’d have still watched but that’s it. I’ve gone from spending every extra dollar I had on the Oilers to being more interested in other teams and leagues. If that can happen to me, someone whose teen years were formed by those dynasty teams then I think it would be pretty easy for someone who has only ever seen this team as a joke.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think Oilers fans in general have very different ideas about thier team. No one I know puts too much stock in any media source.

Hockey is very much a game of "seen them/him good" or bad. Depending how many games you watch, how closely, or how drunk you are as well.

However Oilers fans in general, like all fan bases, typically only watch/follow Oilers so do not have the comparisons to have relative unbias hockey opinions.

Nhl parity is a real thing. See Vegas this year. Tampa last year to this. The Jets.

The Edmonton Oilers have a legit playoff level hockey club. A lot went wrong to have us miss and in this league it dont take much.

People forget Mclellan and Chiarelli both nominated for best of thier position to take the team within one "shoulda" actual won Western Conference Final. The team they developed is far and away better than any in the last decade.

We have a better team/organization than say Calgary on paper in almost every way.

Next year I hope they can get back on track and we can get some playoff hockey again. Watching those Jets games are crazy.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I will keep renewing my tickets.

Things aren’t nearly as bad as Hfoil try and make them out to be.

I’m over the Hall trade for 2 years now. Really means nothing at the point. Love what Larsson brings.

Chia is way better then anything we have had for years.

TM is way better to, but someone has to take the fall.

League parity is real folks. Avs were one of the worst ever last year and playoffs this year.

Our biggest need is a good goalie. Has been for years. Really wish we would have traded for MAF and let Talbot go to Vegas.

Reactions: Aerchon

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
The arrogance of management over the last 10 years or so drives me crazy. They always talk about a plan, but never provide any details. Like, "trust us, we know what we're doing" and then they make a terrible trade, make terrible draft picks, hire terrible coaches, scouts, etc. Was that your plan?

I also hate to see guys like Dubnyk and Schultz get run out of town, traded for peanuts, and now Dubnyk is a top 10 goalie in the league and Schultz has 2 rings. I like Adam Larsson and I think any team in the league would want to have him, but Taylor Hall is a Hart Trophy candidate and he's found another couple of gears this season in New Jersey after coaches and management had an intense chat with him. Something he said he never had in Edmonton.

Being an Oilers fan for my entire life, it's hard to just walk away and watching Connor McDavid is an absolute treat. I honestly believe that he could end up being the greatest player of all time. I also think the drafting is much better under Keith Gretzky, but the development system in Bakersfield needs improvement.

Hearing Nicholson and Chiarelli talk about their "plan" like it's some kind of secret, fail-safe way of building a dynasty made me really upset this week.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Well based on the comments on Facebook or any edmonton sun or journal article, oilersnation etc and most is very negative. Maybe not quite as bad here but they're still figuring the true fan debate. That doesn't really come up anymore here.

Also oilers disabled comments on all the YouTube videos...so I'd imagine they wouldn't do that if it was nice comments.

With my friends and social circles, the die hard are pissed, the average joe indifferent

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Since I'm not at the games, and haven't been in a good many years, I can't really say what the average Oiler fan is thinking. But, I would think that many are not of the same mindset as those on HFOil and other discussion boards, or who comment where they can on stories and videos. Those that do are more of the type that want to vent a spleen rather than get into a rational discussion. Keyboard warriors, to put it short. Most others don't care for the online drama and enjoy the Oil as part of the experience and not as a defining point in their lives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad