What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
So, do we want a new coach, and an old GM??

Or, a new GM, and an old coach??

Help me out.
We want someone with a solid plan who can execute on it. Someone who can strike fair deals with players without alienating them. Someone who makes more good decisions than bad ones. someone who has the knowledge and network to hire a strong scouting staff, both amateur and professional, someone who can get the best available people to develop talent and someone who can effectively evaluate the coaching and determine next steps- retain or replace- as a GM.

Today's version of Sam Pollock. I'd settle for Julien Brisebois or Joe Sakic. :naughty:

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Hopefully this search doesn't end with

1*SzMHB2_8W2fvE5hOaHujUw.jpeg
"On behalf of all the members of the Columbus Blue Jackets organisation, I'd like to give a warm welcome to our new General Manager: Mike Babcock. Oh, by the way, I'm retiring today."
- John Davidson, June 2024

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Checking property records, JD spent three million dollars on a home in July of 2023 and is building it into his dream home in Naples, FL. I would bet he is out of there when the home is done later this year.
Well done detective! I know everyone has been complaining about JD but this seems to line up with my theory of JD keeping the lights on while we search for a new GM then after that is done probably going to get his successor (*cough cough* Gorton) and go lay on the beach for the rest of his days.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The fist thing I want from the new GM is to get here in enough time to get the draft right and handle RFA contracts correctly. Truly a BJ way of doing things-waiting for the season to end (if that includes the SC playoffs double woof) before starting to talk to candidates. At least a discreet phone call to gauge interest would seem appropriate in my mind.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The fist thing I want from the new GM is to get here in enough time to get the draft right and handle RFA contracts correctly. Truly a BJ way of doing things-waiting for the season to end (if that includes the SC playoffs double woof) before starting to talk to candidates. At least a discreet phone call to gauge interest would seem appropriate in my mind.

The Columbus BJ way - waits too long to initiate, goes about the process in an odd & needlessly time-consuming manner, and ultimately the wrong person comes.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Serious question... do people really think they are doing absolutely nothing about the GM position? I mean I know we're all jaded, but there is no chance in hell they are sitting on their hands. Not to mention, the new GM isn't going to do much when it comes to draft time. The scouts do and they are all still in place and they have all of JK's notes and details on the upcoming draft. I can't tell if people are serious or just complaining because "that's the CBJ thing to do".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At least a discreet phone call to gauge interest would seem appropriate in my mind.

I'd be a bit surprised if there haven't been such conversations.

Serious question... do people really think they are doing absolutely nothing about the GM position? I mean I know we're all jaded, but there is no chance in hell they are sitting on their hands. Not to mention, the new GM isn't going to do much when it comes to draft time. The scouts do and they are all still in place and they have all of JK's notes and details on the upcoming draft. I can't tell if people are serious or just complaining because "that's the CBJ thing to do".

I'm fine with letting Ville and the scouts just take the top guy on their list, but there's a lot else in play with trades and signings that our new GM might not feel prepared for.

Reactions: LJ7 and Indy18

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I fear the thought that they draft guys and then ask the new GM to pigeon hole them into his plans. Potentially disastrous...

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
^^^
Probably nothing happens until next month at the earliest.

One interesting name that has come up recently is Sergei Fedorov.....I know, he just coached but he did a damn good job with CSKA Moscow. Wonder if the new GM feels a coaching change is necessary, Fedorov would be a great hire.

Reactions: majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nah. The JD one candidate interview strategy gives them plenty of time:D

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
all i know is when we get a GM i want a new coach, one with a proven track record ( nothing wrong with PV i like him a lot but i want experience for this inexperienced team ) gerard gallant is an interesting one he seems to always get teams to play well and them gets fired LOL craig berube is one that really interest me. would be even nice if the leafs fire SK after this 1st round exit maybe we some how get joel quenneville LOL

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

That's good in that it helps the Jackets cast a wider net. But I hope they don't go with Gorton or Holland. Both have shown to be pretty incapable of building through the draft. Imagine NYR if Panarin and Fox hadn't forced their way there and the Rangers had to build around Lias Andersson, Vitaly Kravstov, Kaapo Kakko, and Lafreniere...

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
That's good in that it helps the Jackets cast a wider net. But I hope they don't go with Gorton or Holland. Both have shown to be pretty incapable of building through the draft. Imagine NYR if Panarin and Fox hadn't forced their way there and the Rangers had to build around Lias Andersson, Vitaly Kravstov, Kaapo Kakko, and Lafreniere...
The building-through-the-draft phase is basically done now, though. The assets are amassed. Now the hard part begins: sorting through them for the keepers and then augmenting the gaps with mature players.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Switching roles to what? We don't need a single guy as POHOP and GM. We essentially had that as Jarmo before JD came back and he drove the team into the ground.

Would this make JD the assistant to the assistant regional manager?
My guess would be advisor or something. Kind of what Craig Patrick used to do for Howson.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
all i know is when we get a GM i want a new coach, one with a proven track record ( nothing wrong with PV i like him a lot but i want experience for this inexperienced team ) gerard gallant is an interesting one he seems to always get teams to play well and them gets fired LOL craig berube is one that really interest me. would be even nice if the leafs fire SK after this 1st round exit maybe we some how get joel quenneville LOL

I like Craig Berube and Dean Evason.

I wouldn't do Gallant.

The building-through-the-draft phase is basically done now, though. The assets are amassed. Now the hard part begins: sorting through them for the keepers and then augmenting the gaps with mature players.

The bottoming out drafting phase is hopefully over.

Obviously clubs keep drafting, and still have to constantly add good players through whatever means. Tampa drafted Vasi, Kuch, and Point years after bottoming out and getting Stamkos and Hedman.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Assuming he has been humbled and learned some lessons, I wonder about John Chayka. Not saying I necessarily want him. But he would be more interesting than a lot of retreads.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The bottoming out drafting phase is hopefully over.

Obviously clubs keep drafting, and still have to constantly add good players through whatever means. Tampa drafted Vasi, Kuch, and Point years after bottoming out and getting Stamkos and Hedman.
Came here to say this. Drafting always has to be a priority, there's always a chance we get a Dubois or Jones who we think could be a building block that decides they don't want to be here for whatever reason. You can never have too many prospects.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hardly. The team drafts fourth this year at worst and are likely to draft high next year.

Further, there's only one young talent who is almost certain to be top end. Fantilli. That's not even close to what this team needs. Jiricek, Voronkov, Chinakov, Brindley ,Mateychuk, and KJ may not become top end players.

Jarmo and JD have saddled the team with "mature" players who aren't anywhere near living up to their lofty contracts. Most of the long term contracts on this team are not tradeworthy to another team. Perhaps Werenski, but none of the others. The new GM will have almost no room to acquire many more players.

This team is more likely on the trajectory of Buffalo of 5 years ago (now celebrating 13 years without a playoff berth) than they are of a team on the cusp of becoming very good.

Like almost every other fan base, the young players are overrated by the CBJ fan base. It's not a special group that's been put together here through Jarmo's drafting. It's trending toward being a very average group.

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad