What do you want from the Jackets' next GM?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Read "hasn't thought about retirement" as "no way am I going to give up $2 million per year. they'll have to fire my a$$".
Only a year away. Maybe they will "mutually" part ways, let him give the appearance of doing it on his own terms. I doubt it was an accident JD, Jarmo, Babcock and now Vincent all had deals expiring at the same time

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
When all is said and done I want a GM who develops a plan and executes to it.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I think the priority has to be a GM who can build an organization that improves itself year over year. While I am and have been a proponent of tanking and rebuilding the reality is while you need the raw materials (i.e. superstar talent/cap space) you also have to build something out of what you get. Jarmo was at least above average in acquiring capable pieces and drafting what at least looks to be above-average talent, but the reality is we didn't do anything with them Laine, Gadreau, Panarin, etc. and he didn't build an organization capable of helping players succeed to the maximum of their capability. The fact Jarmo never got a McDavid, Matthews, Mackinnon, etc. during his tenure isn't on him, but the fact that he didn't create an environment that maximized what he did have is.

The team never really improved and was always riddled with injuries and drama and that starts at the top of the organization (likely at ownership, but unless I find a lot of money I'm not changing that) so Jarmo is fundamentally the one accountable for why players turned out the way that they have or the failure to properly assess their capabilities (Wild Bill and JAM still stings every time I see Vegas). Fundamentally, I want a GM who will turn this into a Boston/Tampa-style outfit that is capable of improving year over year and can capitalize on the assets that we acquire through the draft and trade.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some (very small) news:

8. Columbus is not hiring a firm to handle its GM search, and the real process begins very soon. There are lots of rumours about favourites. John Davidson, who attended his first-ever meetings, said all of that is premature.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Again nothing really new here

1. 30-40 names deep as far as candidates
2. No interviews scheduled or done yet
3. Experience is what we’re looking for
4. Search will start at the end of the regular season

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
4. Search will start at the end of the regular season
They certainly aren't in a hurry are they?

They should be searching now and interviewing after the regular season if those they wish to interview must wait. I think it is important we have a guy in place with a plan by the end of the playoffs since the draft is like a week after that.

Reactions: EspenK

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I want a GM who will turn this into a Boston/Tampa-style outfit that is capable of improving year over year and can capitalize on the assets that we acquire through the draft and trade.
I agree with this portion of this post. And I think the key to creating an organization like that is assembling coaches, scouts, and ancillary pieces to make it happen.

A good first step would be a complete and total end to hiring of alumni and cronies.

I know they made a huge mess when they tried to step out of that pattern with the Babcock hire. Clearly somebody doesn’t know how to do due diligence for the hiring process. But they need to learn. If the next GM is an internal hire, it will amost certainly be more of the same.

They can’t keep “promoting from within” and expect to change the culture of ineptitude.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My updated answer. Banners. I want meaningful banners from the rafters.
I had season tickets a few years ago and I said the same thing to my buddies I got them with. When you look up and see nothing but filler banners.. It's kind of embarrassing

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Can't rush a new hire but there seems to be plenty of damage control needing to be done with unhappy players. I'm not sure JD can be then fence mender when he is knee deep in the muck and mire of the past. They need someone to work with Voronkov and the other Russians (amongst others) to smooth things out or at least attempt to.
I don't see any real reasons the young guys would want to stay if something REALLY good doesnt happen with the organization regarding GM and coaching. A serious juncture for the organization...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

There seems to be more and more smoke around mark hunter. Mark Schieg also posted an article talking about mark Hunter being in the mix

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
In an interview with The Athletic on Saturday, Davidson reiterated his criteria. He has told Nash and others in the front office that they won’t get interviews for Kekäläinen’s old job because it’s not the right time — or fit — for the organization at this point.

“It’s an experience thing,” Davidson said. “You know what can happen? If a young person rushes into becoming a GM, and you’re not really ready … do you ever get a second chance?“When I look at Nash, this (job with Team Canada) is a great stepping stone for him. And Chris Clark has been doing a lot of the same kind of stuff (with Team USA). Those are great experiences for them. Along the way, they’ll be ready if that’s what their intention is. And when you’re ready, you’ve got a better chance of succeeding.”

I’m sure this (still) won’t stop people from doomsday posting about how Nash is the next GM and it’ll be an internal hire but I figure I’d post it anyway

Also:

Davidson said there have been no interviews yet for the Blue Jackets’ vacant general manager position. It’s quite obvious now the move will happen in the offseason. As stated, Davidson wants somebody with experience. That doesn’t necessarily mean somebody who is currently working in an NHL front office, but the Blue Jackets will certainly want to talk with some candidates who fit that description. Davidson said it would be “disrespectful” to interview candidates who are currently part of NHL front offices before their seasons are complete. This could go well into May or even June.

Last edited:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Hunter is the obvious enough pick that I fully expect the pessimism brigade to be adamantly and steadfastly against him within a few weeks.
I am just trying to figure out what the canned line will be with this potential hire that will lead the doom squad off the bridge. Will it because he was passed over for Dubas hes obviously not good enough to be a GM at the NHL level?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am just trying to figure out what the canned line will be with this potential hire that will lead the doom squad off the bridge. Will it because he was passed over for Dubas hes obviously not good enough to be a GM at the NHL level?
I'm putting money down on "He has a relationship with Nash therefore it's basically the same as an internal hire."

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I just assume he's not going to get the job because he actually meets the critieria they say they are looking for. This team doesn't exactly have a track record of doing what everyone thinks they should do.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'm putting money down on "He has a relationship with Nash therefore it's basically the same as an internal hire."
If it is Hunter, brace yourself for an even bigger brigade of Leafs fans proposing Marner to CBJ for the moon because obviously Hunter will want to collect all the London Knights and also a Knight who was under him as Leafs director of player personnel.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
A GMS job is to build a winning team.
It's not about winning trades.

Now how to build a winning team:
-Determine an identity (ownership and senior leadership should be aligned and committed)
-Hire a coaching staff that can bring out the best of the players, while understanding that identity
-Draft and Develop players (drafting has been good, developing needs work, but IMO some of that once we have the identity may be better)
-Get the right players on the team (not just randomly adding the best player available) and the wrong players off the team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If it is Hunter, brace yourself for an even bigger brigade of Leafs fans proposing Marner to CBJ for the moon because obviously Hunter will want to collect all the London Knights and also a Knight who was under him as Leafs director of player personnel.
We handled Jarmo collecting virtually every player with a Columbus connection in the league and being connected to virtually every Finnish player or coach so I think we'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad