Proposal: What Do You Think That MacT Can Get In Return For Hemsky And Horcoff?

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'm sure it's been suggested, but maybe MacT is waiting for free agency to die down a bit (that'll probably happen by next weekend, after a second rush when the week starts), so he can target teams that are still looking for pieces but can no longer attain them through UFA signings.

Right now there are options that can fill a Hemsky-esque role that can be signed without giving up assets. Maybe once they go off the board, Hemsky will be moved?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm sure it's been suggested, but maybe MacT is waiting for free agency to die down a bit (that'll probably happen by next weekend, after a second rush when the week starts), so he can target teams that are still looking for pieces but can no longer attain them through UFA signings.

Right now there are options that can fill a Hemsky-esque role that can be signed without giving up assets. Maybe once they go off the board, Hemsky will be moved?

That's probably the hope. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It could be that there are a lot more appealing names on the trade market too so no one wants to part with assets that could land them a better player and then miss out on them.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Agreed. Hemsky will probably be a consolation prize this summer. MacT has to wait for the dominoes to fall before finding the right deal.

The Perfect Human*

With Filppula and Weiss making 5M a year - I don't think teams are going to balk at 5M for Hemsky. The only concern now is trade value and injury issues

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I would love to see the Hemsky off to the wings. His game would be a good fit if combined with Cleary. But then again, His $ is probably too high for a trade for them.

I think there is a good fit in Detroit as well for Hemsky. Him on the second line with Weiss and Franzen should be productive. A realistic returning asset to target in such a deal with the Red Wings is perhaps meaty 24 yr old RFA 4C/3W, Joakim Andersson, (6'2/205, 12:05 TOI RS, 13:19 TOI PO). EDM would probably have to take back Tootoo ($1.9M x 2Y) as a cap dump to make it work though. However, DET needs another depth D man so, Potter or Larsen could be packaged as well.

Another guy who might be a decent 2LW fit is TBL's Ryan Malone (6'4/225) -- somewhat rundown (only 28 GP last season) but could rejuvenate surrounded by a young top five. He has $2.5M salary x 2Y, so it would be a wash in terms of dollars for TBL with Hemsky at $5M salary x 1Y. Malone has an NTC though.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
On his own...Hemsky isn't worth what the Oilers are really needing to add.

I think Mac-Bold will have to add...AT LEAST...a 2nd rounder...probably our 1rst rounder in '14.

If/when that happens...we can have a good chance to land that top 6 power winger who can put some fangs on the face of this roster.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think there is a good fit in Detroit as well for Hemsky. Him on the second line with Weiss and Franzen should be productive. A realistic returning asset to target in such a deal with the Red Wings is perhaps meaty 24 yr old RFA 4C/3W, Joakim Andersson, (6'2/205, 12:05 TOI RS, 13:19 TOI PO). EDM would probably have to take back Tootoo ($1.9M x 2Y) as a cap dump to make it work though. However, DET needs another depth D man so, Potter or Larsen could be packaged as well.

Another guy who might be a decent 2LW fit is TBL's Ryan Malone (6'4/225) -- somewhat rundown (only 28 GP last season) but could rejuvenate surrounded by a young top five. He has $2.5M salary x 2Y, so it would be a wash in terms of dollars for TBL with Hemsky at $5M salary x 1Y. Malone has an NTC though.

With the Wings grabbing Alfredsson, they wont have any interest in Hemsky. Not with Tatar and Nyquist on the team, and their already needing to shed players. Andersson showed last year and in the playoffs what a great asset he is, for any team, but that line with Nyquist and Brunner was pretty good in the playoffs. Tatar will take Brunner's spot and that will be one very good, young NHL line.

I dont see them moving Andersson at all. I think before the Alfie signing, there would've been a chance. Not now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
i'd be happy to get Zack Smith back from Ottawa, but i wonder now that they have acquired Bobby Ryan if they are still interested?

Sounds like their plan was to have Ryan and Alfie, now they loss Alfie so I'd assume there could be a spot. I don't know that they want to pay 5mil though for Hemmer, but we can fix that.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
if we didnt have to eat anything for horcoff we shouldnt eat anything for hemsky. if they cant get good value for him then let him play the first 1/2 of the season with taylor hall and pump his tires to the point they get us a first and maybe an asset at the deadline.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
On his own I'm wondering if Hemsky's return is anything more than a 2nd round pick or a middling prospect.

My guess is that the only possible teams left are whoever misses out on Jagr, maybe the Habs if they don't land him?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you were to trade Hemsky striaght across for one draft pick where do think it would be? What about Byfuglien?

I think the name Hemsky doesn't get a conversation about a Byfuglien trade started.

Again, you're hardly the person to be stating what kind of conversation Hemsky "does and doesn't" start.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
They also signed MacArthur as a winger though.

He'll play LW on the 2nd line, he's not a RW.

Ottawa only has Bobby Ryan than a bunch of "maybes" for their top-6 RW's. Conacher would be the guy who gets that RW spot I guess.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I think Hemsky just needs a change of scenery, and wouldn't be surprised if he hits 60 points, as long as he's healthy.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I hope they hold back salary if/when they trade Hemsky. It'll be off the books in one year, Edmonton's not going to hit the cap next year and it will increase the trade value, perhaps considerably. Besides, some cap space needs to be reserved for RNH's next contract. Even if Edmonton could spend to the cap on a bunch of UFAs this year, it wouldn't be wise unless some of them were 1 year deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad