What do you guys think of Joe Beninati?

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Joe B and Locker my favorite in the NHL. Adding Alan May has made it a perfect team, imho. Cuthbert and Gord Miller my other current guys outside of the Caps.

Vladiator16*

I like Joe B, but i love Locker, i dont care how homerish it sounds, but i think they are the best duo in hockey, just fun dudes to listen to. Chuck Gormely on the other hand... i have no idea how he has a job on TV.

HOLDITHERE*

Joe B and Locker my favorite in the NHL. Adding Alan May has made it a perfect team, imho. Cuthbert and Gord Miller my other current guys outside of the Caps.

I can't stand May. He's the quintessential MVA sports fan.

I like Joe B, but i love Locker, i dont care how homerish it sounds, but i think they are the best duo in hockey, just fun dudes to listen to. Chuck Gormely on the other hand... i have no idea how he has a job on TV.

How this happened, I will never understand. The second I hear his voice or see his face, I want to smash things. He is unbearable to listen to.

Joe and Craig are fantastic together though. #HOLDITHERE

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Locker just tows the company line. Him calling every road game a "good roadie" tends to get on my nerves, especially when we lose like 4-1. I like his jokes and stuff, but he's a bit too much of a homer. I love how they just sound like good friends in the booth though. Makes the games enjoyable.

I love Joe B.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
A visiting Devils fan here. Hate playing against the Caps but if there is one thing I like about them, that is Beninati. Really good play-by-play guy in my opinion, not too much of a homer, pretty clear calls and a good voice. A good announcer like him can really make the play seem that much better... and it is also more enjoyable to listen to the game when the guy in the booth knows what is going on.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Gormley excluded, I think the CSN broadcast team is terrific. The Canadian announcers are generally better—I even like Pierre—as are the Detroit and Chicago guys, but they are probably third-best in the U.S.

Joe B. is knowledgeable, well prepared, has a good voice, and calls the game very accurately. Yeah, some of his pet phrases are odd, but who cares? At least he's trying to be interesting.

Locker is a homer, and I love him for it. If the whole bunch of them were, it would suck, but having one guy who just loves the team and wears it on his sleeve is great. It is the hometown broadcast after all. But that said, he knows the game better than some give him credit for. His telestration is great, and while he is inclined to make excuses, when he does criticize the Caps, he's typically on point.

May has added a ton. He's obviously rooting for the Caps all the way, but he's harder on them, which is a nice juxtaposition to Laughlin. I really like it when he's between the benches interacting with the guys in the booth.

Brent Johnson has also been a good addition. Nice to have a goalie's perspective on the team. He still has some learning to do WRT being an analyst, but I like what he brings.

And Smokin' Al... He's good in his role—human interest and interviews—very enthusiastic and congenial. Total nerd, but it's fine. Do not like when he does the play by play though.

Walton on the radio is top-notch. Canadian caliber IMO.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who's considered to be first tier? Certainly not Emerick, with his nasal voice and constant mis-identification of players.

Again, it's a personal taste. Who's done more big games than Doc? He's clearly slipping as he ages, but was clearly one of the best of all time at one point in his career.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Joe B is great. Nothing better when exclaims, "Scores!"

He is also very knowledgeable and just seems to really enjoy his job.

But I can't stand Gormley. He just cannot speak at all on live television. Always looking at things written on his hand, stuttering, awkward pauses. Just awful.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
I love both Doc Emrick, Joe B play by play. Which basically means i love commentators that announce like they actually give a s**t! Did you see the pathetic sportsnet canada commentating for Brouwer's goal? Atrocious would be an understatement. Now go listen to Doc's call on same goal, so much emphasis and passion.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Joe B is great. Nothing better when exclaims, "Scores!"

He is also very knowledgeable and just seems to really enjoy his job.

But I can't stand Gormley. He just cannot speak at all on live television. Always looking at things written on his hand, stuttering, awkward pauses. Just awful.

Exactly, watching an Ovi goal without him commentating is alien to me. Doc Emrick is the best in business by far. He has the perfect play by play voice and style

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Exactly, watching an Ovi goal without him commentating is alien to me. Doc Emrick is the best in business by far. He has the perfect play by play voice and style

Doc is great. So is Foley in Chicago and Forslund in Carolina.

Forslund's call of OV's first playoff goal is classic.

he also called the great goal v the rangers

Capsfan7998

Feb 8, 2010
I love Joe B and Locker! I've been listening to those guys for 15 years now! They're a great team!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad