• Stand pat

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • Trade the pick for a younger player with term

Votes: 28 33.3%

• Total voters

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I went with stand pat. I have 100% confidence in Yzerman's ability to pick a good player there. Having said that, should a reasonable deal for a high-end forward or goalie materialize I would move it.

On top of all of this, getting a better goalie is the cheapest way to improve the team. You'll get way more return on investment grabbing someone like Markstrom than you would a forward of equal trade value. So if you're trying to "money puck" into the playoffs, that's probably your best bet.

I think Cossa is looking mighty good but he's still an unknown in the NHL and a veteran anchor would be pretty nice for a handful of seasons.

Not only that, but really the most predictable one too. The most important stat for a goalie is save percentage, it's a pure quantification of how many shots faced are stopped. You go from a goalie tandem with a .905 average to a tandem with a .910 or .915 average, that means fewer goals against, plain and simple. If we had a team save percentage that was .005 or .010 higher this season, we're all arguing about the Wings first round series right now rather than offseason moves. Goaltending should definitely be a point of focus this offseason. Let Reimer walk, and ship Husso out for an upgrade with Lyon as the backup.

Markstrom would be more expensive than that but probably not 15th overall expensive. Maybe 2nd and a prospect Calgary likes. Something along the lines of two seconds if there's salary retention.

You dreamers out there can fantasize about sending back a bad contract, too, if the sweetener is sweet enough.

Would definitely do a 2nd + Berggren for Markstrom. Berggren's a good piece but I think Markstrom would benefit the team more in his role than Berggren will in his.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Krouse is a tough 2nd line power winger. He'd put up 30ish goals, 50ish points in Detroit. And would solve 3 problems this team has; second line scoring, size and toughness.
Why would he be on our 2nd line when he was on Arizona's 3rd line? His TOI deployment splits are almost exactly the same as Copp's. 13-ish min ES (both ranked 7th), 1-ish min PP (both ranked 10th), 2-ish min PK (both ranked 2nd).

You're setting yourself up for heartbreak here...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I've got Markstrom circled as the perfect candidate. Two years left on his contract. He was a bright spot for that Calgary team and kept them in a lot of games they didn't deserve to be in, so his stats don't look amazing, but he played well on the whole.

Calgary was in trade talks with NJ and LA about Markstrom at the deadline, but Markstrom has a NMC that complicated things. According to rumors, so grain of salt, Markstrom shut down a trade to LA because he didn't want to live on the West Coast. Is Detroit suitable for him? He wants to be on a playoff team, by all indications. Does he think if he's in Detroit he can make them one? Moreso than NJ or other suitors? Markstrom will have a say where he goes.

But what isn't rumor is that Markstrom is well aware he's on the trade block and is talking like a guy with one foot already out the door.

Asked where he saw himself playing next season, the Flames netminder offered up a simple, “I don’t know.”
Coupled with Craig Conroy’s suggestion, “time will tell,” it’s not much of a stretch to conclude the final two years of Markstrom’s contract will be played elsewhere.
I think Calgary would prefer a guy like Wallinder along with a 2nd...if we included a cap dump, Husso, it would likely cost another asset..

Husso
Wallinder
Soderblom/Hanas
2024 2nd rd pick

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No, Burger is Sprong V2.0, and Hakstol healthy scratched Sprong last season. Plus I think Francis will pick a D, and the top D prospects will be gone by 15.
I would get very aggressive to trade up for him. I think he is going to be a goal scoring machine. We need a high end scoring winger in our pipeline badly!

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
If all goes well, in my opinion Cossa needs at least 2-3 seasons of development before he is a starter in the NHL. We need a proven goalie for that period.
2 years ?? 3??! If it takes him 3 more years that's a concern

Think one more year of ahl and hes ready. If that's the case it makes no sense giving up big assets for 1 year of a goalie. Be different if were cup contenders but were nowhere near that to justify the move imo

Lawson Crouse?

I'd like the trade idea. Maybe Crouse does not want to move to SLC.

Been pushing for crouse for so long lol at this point I think that ship has sailed unless we really make an offer they cant refuse

Utah new owner said they want to compete right off the bat and theres speculation theyll be going hard in free agency and to add players

Doesn't sound like hed be available

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
This is my wishlist as well. I’m assuming Kane is gone (mixed feelings about that) but Berggren is up. I think we need someone who can play a tough offensive game upfront. The real question is who is that player and what is the price. And I don’t have an answer to either of those questions. I won’t sweat it if we dump the first rounder though.
I'd rather deal the 2025 1st top protected if wed have the intention of moving up 4-5 spots for a certain someone

But ya it all depends who can be had in a trade. Cayden lindstrom would have been perfect , teams arent usually dealing power forward types

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Just keep drafting unless an actual star player becomes available who wants to sign here long term like Debrincat 2.0. Need a constant pipeline of home grown, cheap talent if you want to be good and have a long contending window... which I do believe is coming eventually.
I used to think that, but then I read the main board and I guess it won't he happening afterall :laugh:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Think one more year of ahl and hes ready. If that's the case it makes no sense giving up big assets for 1 year of a goalie. Be different if were cup contenders but were nowhere near that to justify the move imo

Been pushing for crouse for so long lol at this point I think that ship has sailed unless we really make an offer they cant refuse

Utah new owner said they want to compete right off the bat and theres speculation theyll be going hard in free agency and to add players

Doesn't sound like hed be available
Cossa most likely(barring any catastrophic issues)
- plays 2 to 5 games in 24/25
- plays 15 to 25 games in 25/26
- plays 30 to 50 games in 26/27

Adding a guy like Markstrom, signed for 2 more years, would be perfect timing wise

Last edited:
Reactions: WaW and lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
What is good for Carolina is not so good for Detroit. You have to improve team around goaltender
Not sure what Carolina has to do with anything I said, but the fact that Detroit needs multiple improvements doesn’t mean that goaltender isn’t one of those improvements.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not sure what Carolina has to do with anything I said, but the fact that Detroit needs multiple improvements doesn’t mean that goaltender isn’t one of those improvements.
I'm going to assume that Carolina let a 21yo play goal for them in '05-'06 that then went on to win the Conn Smythe in a surprise Cup Run. Why not let Cossa do the same? Is Yzerman stupid?

That or an indictment of the Ned acquisition. One of those two...

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster and lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm kinda baffled why people are so hot on Markstrom, he's had one year out of his four in Calgary where he wasn't somewhere between kinda bad and in contention for worst Goalie in the league and as good as he was that one season he's a couple years removed from that at this point with a downright awful year last year and a year very comparable to Alex Lyon this year since then and his good year was on a team with one of the most dominant even strength lines ever

I guess there's probably worse stopgaps out there to come in and play half the games but I certainly wouldn't pay much for him, especially since he's making $6m/year

Reactions: WaW and Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
i'm kinda baffled why people are so hot on Markstrom, he's had one year out of his four in Calgary where he wasn't somewhere between kinda bad and in contention for worst Goalie in the league and as good as he was that one season he's a couple years removed from that at this point with a downright awful year last year and a year very comparable to Alex Lyon this year since then and his good year was on a team with one of the most dominant even strength lines ever

I guess there's probably worse stopgaps out there to come in and play half the games but I certainly wouldn't pay much for him, especially since he's making $6m/year

I don't think he's quite as bas as you say, but he's a marginal improvement over Lyon. Basically the same SV%, just faces fewer shots and more than likely fewer breakaways, because the Wings absolutely love to test their goalie by pinching in on both sides at once.

He's also 34, no way I throw a 1st at a player that old.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm going to assume that Carolina let a 21yo play goal for them in '05-'06 that then went on to win the Conn Smythe in a surprise Cup Run. Why not let Cossa do the same? Is Yzerman stupid?

That or an indictment of the Ned acquisition. One of those two...
Yzerman not stupid , but he did not Bring Edvinsson earlier, brought too many veterans and now it's hard to get rid of some . I believe Red Wings ruined confidence our goaltenders , Ned, Mrazek , Reimer, Huso and others. Yzerman should brings another inexpensive goalie like Lyon and spend more to improve in other erias .

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's just much easier to be Carolina goalie compared to Red Wings goalie

Reactions: jaster

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Trade down in the 1st to give Draper another 2nd is the last thing I would do
Wings drafted Bertuzzi at No. 58 in 2013 with the extra second-round pick they got from the San Jose Sharks for flipping first-round picks (the Wings took Anthony Mantha at No. 20; the Sharks wanted Mirco Mueller at No. 16
I also like our Hronek pick.
Ones in the blue moon we have good picks in the second

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Potential free agent acquisitions and trade proposals are not my cup of tea, so I have no idea. But I've seen a lot of comments from posters about acquiring guys like Markstrom, Gibson, or Ullmark. I don't know what the odds are of getting any of those guys, but regardless, there have been people essentially saying we shouldn't even pursue them, because organizationally our situation in net is fine. And I found that odd. It's very much not fine imo. And I'm a guy who likes Lyon and believes in Cossa.

Fine with going with any of those 3, but not with our 15th overall pick.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
#15 + JB for Tij

No team is trading 15th and a player like Berggren for 7th overall. Prices to jump that high are way more than that and JB is not highly regarded league wide.

LOLOLOLOLOL. You're so right, I am literally ROFL.

Edit: Probably gonna take a couple days break from here, this is the post of the week.

Are you George, leaving on a high note?

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015

No, it's not a problem.

24/25: #1 goalie in GR + few NHL games
25/26: backup in Detroit (20-30 games)
26/27: #1 goalie in Detroit (40+ games)

I think this is the most realistic route if all goes well with him.
It would be a bad idea to rush him.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Cossa most likely(barring any catastrophic issues)
- plays 2 to 5 games in 24/25
- plays 15 to 25 games in 25/26
- plays 30 to 50 games in 26/27

Adding a guy like Markstrom, signed for 2 more years, would be perfect timing wise
Giving up the assets for a markstrom to me is nonsensical. Giving up top assets for 2 years of a guy where were nowhere near cup contention makes no sense

If cossa isn't playing more than 15 to 25 games in 2 years then why's he even going to be here ?? He'd play alot more than that ... to me unless lyon completely shits the bed he should be extended

He tired out towards the end of the year and he shat the bed. If we can control his starts he can be a good tandem with cossa for a year. You get markstrom and cossa is down another 2 years in g.r

No, it's not a problem.

24/25: #1 goalie in GR + few NHL games
25/26: backup in Detroit (20-30 games)
26/27: #1 goalie in Detroit (40+ games)

I think this is the most realistic route if all goes well with him.
It would be a bad idea to rush him.
Be a bad idea to also bring him in and stick him on the bench for 50-60 games

You want him to play games. Yzerman wont make him stick around to sit on his ass. If anything youd need a tandem goalie In 2 years. Markstrom isn't the answer

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
In order to trade the 15th overall pick for a young player with term, a team would have to be stupid enough to trade a young player with term for the 15th overall pick
Exactly, I voted stand pat, even though that's ideally my least favorite option, it's realistically our best option.

If we can trade 15th overall and some less important pieces for a young, good player, then absolutely do that. If we can package 15 with some less important pieces to break back into the top 10 and get another shot at getting a difference maker? Then absolutely do that. If you have to pay a significant premium on either case, then just stay the course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad