What do we do with Maurice?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'll concede to your point, as I was paraphrasing what Paul had said, and probably misrepresented it. He has always backed this group.

I think his main point was; that even though they worked hard (on the ice), their off-ice commitment was below what you'd expect of NHL players wanting to compete against the best in the world.

For what it's worth, I like Maurice as a coach. However, his deployment of the troops thus far.......terrible. Sit some of these 'clowns'.

I'm with you there. But the longer these ridiculous deployments go on, I'm finding I really don't believe a heck of a lot he says and I really don't think he's a very good coach anymore.

Is it possible that he is being tuned out by some of the players for similar reasons ... all talk no action??

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hold him and coaching staff to be accountable to get penalties down and get him better players. The get him better players part is pretty darn important.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Trying to cast Maurice as blameless in this is utter foolishness. Firstly, Maurice had a BIG role to play in who stayed & who went in the offseason. He had a big role in deciding to let all their depth forwards go for a song (I'm talking Tlusty & Stemp here), cheaping out on Peluso instead (because he likes his tough guys) and basically deciding it was sink or swim with three rookies who had no pro experience.

This, and maybe it's part of our problem.

I remember Mo being given a lot of power over personnel decisions after his first year. I assumed it was because we were a bit of a mess that year anyway and because Chevy wanted him to feel like a big part of the "process" being new to the org. But should a coach have so much control over who stays and who goes? Obviously some input sure, but maybe he has too much and he's not actually a good evaluator. Shouldn't this be more of a director of player personnel function with Chevy having the ultimate veto?

Maybe I'm getting too hung up on job descriptions and organizational hierarchy but I'm getting just as frustrated with this team as y'all.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Didn't get to see the game but I see by the GDT that Mo was up to his usual silliness:

"2nd period TOI

Stuart 9:14
Myers 8:51
Enstrom 7:20
Chiarot 5:52
Buff 5:22
Trouba 4:40"

How long can this level of Stuuuuuuupidity and having Thorbs on the third line neutralizing Ehlers persist? How long before management realizes we have issues on the PK & PP?

Seriously, has management decided they are calling it a year (ie, tanking) or are they really this inept at seeing some of the fixable problems on this squad. How long can they keep putting Stuuuuuuuupid out there on the PK & give him as much or more time than our real defencemen????

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Didn't get to see the game but I see by the GDT that Mo was up to his usual silliness:

"2nd period TOI

How long can this level of Stuuuuuuupidity and having Thorbs on the third line neutralizing Ehlers persist? How long before management realizes we have issues on the PK & PP?

Seriously, has management decided they are calling it a year (ie, tanking) or are they really this inept at seeing some of the fixable problems on this squad. How long can they keep putting Stuuuuuuuupid out there on the PK & give him as much or more time than our real defencemen????

Stuuuuuu wasnt on the ice for any 5v5 goals.

The first goal trouba had a horrible turn over in the neutral zone and we got scored on directly after that.

The game winning goal Myers had a bad pinch and enstrom misplayed the 2 on 1.

One of the goals scored against us on the PK buff couldn't clear out the front of the net and screened helley.

Our "real" defenseman as you called them pooped the bed big time.

[mod]

Also I'll add that thorburn has been scoring more goals than ehlers without the PP time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

"2nd period TOI

The NHL adjusted Stu's TOI down to 8:17 in the 2nd. He had one shift 2:36 cause Chiarot iced the puck. They got stuck on icings a few times.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Interesting how everyone can see how bad Stu is & how much he is being overused (especially on the PK), yet few want to blame Maurice for his gross overuse.

Interesting that everyone can see how ineffective Ladd & his line have been lately in comparison to Scheif, yet Ladd continues to be trotted out there 4-5 minutes more than Scheif regardless of the circumstances.

Not saying we need a new coach (unless its a special teams coach), but give your head a shake Mo!!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Interesting how everyone can see how bad Stu is & how much he is being overused (especially on the PK), yet few want to blame Maurice for his gross overuse.

Interesting that everyone can see how ineffective Ladd & his line have been lately in comparison to Scheif, yet Ladd continues to be trotted out there 4-5 minutes more than Scheif regardless of the circumstances.

Not saying we need a new coach (unless its a special teams coach), but give your head a shake Mo!!

Fully agree, my patience is wearing very thin with Mo's stubborn streak on a host of decisions. He does a good job talking progressively, then plays paint by numbers most games. I barely listen to his pressers anymore, same old, same old.

Still, he's dealing with a flawed squad tbf.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

No, I think more and more people are coming around to how badly we are being coached at times.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't have much of an issue with Maurice's coaching 5 on 5 as the team generally plays a quality two way system and is in the top 10 in most possession metrics. I do have some minor issues with some ice time allocation but I imagine I would with anyone who coached the team. I do however have a major issue with how our special teams are being coached as well as the lack of an appetite to switch up units that are clearly not working. Guys like Stuart are still trotted out without fail even though there play doesn't warrant it.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No, I think more and more people are coming around to how badly we are being coached at times.

And it's about time to be honest.

Maurice is incredibly stubborn when it comes to a lot of things, the most obvious being rewarding Stuart with ice time when he's hot garbage.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's the O/U on Maurice's firing date now? Spring 2016?

Edit: Actually lets make that Xmas 2016. Who takes the over on that?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
You would think his 0.506 over 1164 games coached prior to the Jets would have been a hint.

His teams were far from anything but .500 hockey clubs talent wise. I dont think he is necessarily a bad coach but we do need changes, perhaps Huddy is more in charge of Stu's time on ice, ultimately though it is up to Maurice to monitor this.

We do need to bring in a PK coach and turf the involvement of everyone who has had an hand in that disaster.

I think honestly our bigger problems lie in the exit of Frolik and Lee Stempniak and the over playing of pluggers.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Maurice is mostly an old school coach. His lengthy record shows that he is an average coach in the long haul. I hate to keep ringing this bell, but it is a fact - the issue with the team is lack of talent.

What Maurice is doing is moving the same pieces around a bit to try to shake things up. Also gives them and us and the media something to talk about how things will be different / better for the next game. But the outcome will be the same. The issues are well discussed here over and over again. Until management does something about the level of talent on the roster, we are a sub 500, bottom 10 team.

Great players make for great coaches.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Maurice is mostly an old school coach. His lengthy record shows that he is an average coach in the long haul. I hate to keep ringing this bell, but it is a fact - the issue with the team is lack of talent.

What Maurice is doing is moving the same pieces around a bit to try to shake things up. Also gives them and us and the media something to talk about how things will be different / better for the next game. But the outcome will be the same. The issues are well discussed here over and over again. Until management does something about the level of talent on the roster, we are a sub 500, bottom 10 team.

OK I realize you are all for rail-roading Chevy for his job this past summer & I'm totally with you on that. But still, how can you even come close to absolving Maurice when he continues to play Stu the minutes he has (and on the PK!).

How can you continue to support his overuse of LLW (especially Ladd). Just keep sending Ladd out there every opportunity he gets, first on the PP (usually for a very long first shift leaving the 2nd PP unit with barely a third of the PP), out there on the PK when it should be guys like Copp, and especially putting him out in 3 on 3 overtime all the time.

There's so many things I could critique Maurice on. If he'd only do what he says, he'd be a far better coach -- because to listen to him he makes a lot of sense. As others have said, I don't even want to listen to him anymore because he does not put into action what he preaches. I'm sure some of the players are turning him off for the same reasons. How could you not, when he keeps marching the same lineup of forwards out there game after game after game when you have options in the minors, options on the bench, options to move guys around & see what works.

He's an old-time coach who overuses his veterans GROSSLY & he's showing why he really will never be much better than a .500 coach.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
OK I realize you are all for rail-roading Chevy for his job this past summer & I'm totally with you on that. But still, how can you even come close to absolving Maurice when he continues to play Stu the minutes he has (and on the PK!).

He's an old-time coach who overuses his veterans GROSSLY & he's showing why he really will never be much better than a .500 coach.

I am mostly with you on this. I am not absolving Maurice on his decisions. There is so much worthy discussion going on regarding details on that, I just didn't want to be repetitive. But I did want to share my opinion that there is only so much Maurice will be able to do with this crew. Regarding your last sentence, I agree that he overuses certain veterans like Ladd. But he is also reluctant to use the newbies more because, frankly in a generalized way, they are not NHL ready, not very good. Ehlers is not playing nearly as well as many here seem to think - just my opinion.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

At this point I don't even think Maurice is an average coach, Jets take the most penalties in the league, no team discipline, the PK and PP are both at or near the bottom of the league.

Maurice is a below average coach and the Jets record and his career record clearly point that out!

Maurice's poor coaching decisions have cost them wins, points and probably a playoff spot this season and most of the problems with the team are on Maurice.

Maurice probably makes it through this season but doesn't make it through the 2016-17 season, mark it down!

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How much of an anchor is Stuart? Well, the early results after #freeTrouba.

Last night the Jets were +9 in Corsi over all (5v5). Stuart was -9, despite playing against 3rd and 4th line competition.

Trouba was able to keep Stuart above water, but he is going to drown with mediocre defense partners.

Playing him more than Trouba is absolute insanity.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So, did the Trouba - Buff pairing merit a long term look as a solution to our weak LHD?

Can we roll our current D and be better?
Enstrom - Myers
Trouba - Buff
Chairot/Stuart - Postma/Pardy

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I just shake my head every time people refer to Maurice as a .500 coach as though it's something meaningful:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/NHL_stats.html

Do you happen to notice something about most of the coaches at the very top of that list (hint: look at the typeface)? Point percentages are skewed with the introduction of the loser point and shootout, which penalizes coaches like Maurice that spent the majority of their careers in the pre loser point/shootout era.

Maurice has his flaws, no question. But give me a freaking break. Saying that he's a .500 coach is about as meaningful as saying he's as good as Jack Adams himself - which he is, at least if you're going to go off the apples to oranges point percentage comparison.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Mostly agree with this.

The same three issues (goaltending, lack of LHD, lack of forward depth) that existed prior to Maurice arriving still exist to this day. Who deserves the blame for that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad