What Constitutes Success in the Playoffs?

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I think the team has been improving each year since Hitch arrived. Namely with the growth of Schwartz and Tarasenko as top line forwards but also the signing of Stastny, the trade for Bouwmeester, and now with the arrival of Parayko on D and Fabbri up front.

It really is crazy how much better this team is than the 2012 team that finished 2nd in the West. Our D had Colaiacovo/Cole on the 3rd pairing and Polak/younger Russell playing 2nd pairing and our top 6 included Perron and Stewart at times.

Now our defense is so well rounded, the goalies are playing great, the top 9 is deep. Unfortunately we still lack a true #1 center. Swap Lehtera out for Anze Kopitar and this would be an amazing, complete team.

Unfortunately your last point is exactly why I don't think we can win the cup yet. We still lack a top line center, and every cup winning team for the past decade has had a star center on the front line. Lehtera just isn't going to be able to handle the grind of the playoffs

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Unfortunately your last point is exactly why I don't think we can win the cup yet. We still lack a top line center, and every cup winning team for the past decade has had a star center on the front line. Lehtera just isn't going to be able to handle the grind of the playoffs

Having absolutely no clue, has any cup winning team been as stacked as we are at D?

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Having absolutely no clue, has any cup winning team been as stacked as we are at D?

The way i see it, Nashville will pound chris stewart and company. But you're right... we are so stacked at D, and it seems to not matter because the Kings have Doughty (who is the equivalent to all of Pietrangelo and half of Shattenkirk), and the Hawks have Keith and Seabrook (Keith+Seabs+Corey Crawford = Drunk "Frustration")...

Our playoff avatars blow, no disrespect to all the work of some (notably elk) and picture contributions of others, but I think we might fare well because of it all.

I've read many threads on other boards, and aside from the panthers and the senators (maybe the flames, lightning, bruins too), we are the most hilarious. Why do we have to use the phrase "This time will be different".

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015

What constitutes a top line center? Has Stastny not earned that status on this team yet? I know Krecji has in Boston, especially when they won the cup, and Stastny is definitely comparable.

Mar 6, 2012
If they lose in the 1st round again, it's going to be catastrophic. It doesn't matter that they are playing the reigning champs. Enough is enough.

That said, if (if) they manage to actually beat the Hawks, then I think it will almost feel like a cup win for this city. I know that sounds pathetic, and it really is, but we've had so little success, that any scrap of success is going to feel like a glass of ice water for the lost in the desert Blues fans.

My personal measuring stick for success has always been that I want to see the team do better this year than they did last year.

If the Blues lose in round one, they will cement themselves as a running gag of a team, and a symbol of choking failure.

If they lose in round 2, I think they will still be labeled as a playoff dud.

If they lose in round 3, I think they will have established themselves as a more legitimate elite squad and will shake a lot of the demons off.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've given this a lot of thought lately and my perspective on playoff success has changed as puck drop nears.

I just want to beat the Blackhawks. There are 2 things I want out of the playoffs this year. I want the Blues to win the Cup and I want the Blackhawks not to win the Cup. As a Blues fan and huge hockey fan, I desperately don't want to see the Hawks repeat and go 4 in 7. I don't think I can handle it again. I think my biggest priority is that the Blackhawks get knocked with the Blues winning the Cup a close 2nd.

It sounds defeatist, but I don't think I can sit through Kane raising another. I'll get over a Blues loss, but the thought of another Hawks win makes my skin crawl. Knocking them out would shed the choking reputation a ton, prove we belong in the conversation of contender and would feel amazing. I could live with a 2nd round loss after that.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
What constitutes a top line center? Has Stastny not earned that status on this team yet? I know Krecji has in Boston, especially when they won the cup, and Stastny is definitely comparable.

Krecji hit 60 points when Boston won. Stastny hasn't broken 50 for us yet. Both missed time with injury.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Krecji hit 60 points when Boston won. Stastny hasn't broken 50 for us yet. Both missed time with injury.
Krejci has only missed significant time last year. He's probably a little better, but it's not that big of a difference.

I do find it a little odd how everyone seems to be on board for Krejci yet RNH still sucks or whatever.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Krejci has only missed significant time last year. He's probably a little better, but it's not that big of a difference.

I do find it a little odd how everyone seems to be on board for Krejci yet RNH still sucks or whatever.

I think it's reasonable(not to say that RNH sucks, but that he's a downgrade to Krejci) when you look at Krejci's playoff numbers. He's an absolute horse in the playoffs.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think it's reasonable(not to say that RNH sucks, but that he's a downgrade to Krejci) when you look at Krejci's playoff numbers. He's an absolute horse in the playoffs.

Boston fans are also not asking the world for Krejci, they are absolutely fine with Shattenkirk+2nd for Krejci (some even said they would be fine with Vanelli instead of the 2nd, not sure which is more needed going forward). Krejci is a decent step up from RNH, and Stastny, plus he seems to play more of what would mesh well with Tarasenko (from what I've seen of him).

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
i'm thinking winning the cup is the most successful obvi lol. But a WCF appearance would still be a pretty successful playoff run ya know. if the blues get there and lose, i'd be a disappointed but i wouldn't say the season was a failure. It would be our best season in a long time. and obvi u can't solely base winning the cup on it being either a good or bad year.... i mean look at the sabres....they finished 8th worst in the league and everybody is pumped because they made strides to becoming a good team. People are calling the last couple months a successful season and inching closer to ending the rebuild.

Kazuichi

Jan 19, 2016
Hot weather south.
THe next step for the Blues is just being consistently decent.

EVen though you guys rarely do much in the playoffs. SOme teams *cough Avs *cough* wish they atleast MAKE the playoffs twice every five years... thats downpact.

But Id say if the Blues atleast make it to the 2nd round every year its a big step up. Or well WCF APPEARANCE, theyd actually be a "good" team year in and out.

None the less.. YOURE UP 3 GAMES on the hawks wooo!

This time it might actually be different!

Go blues!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
THe next step for the Blues is just being consistently decent.

EVen though you guys rarely do much in the playoffs. SOme teams *cough Avs *cough* wish they atleast MAKE the playoffs twice every five years... thats downpact.

But Id say if the Blues atleast make it to the 2nd round every year its a big step up. Or well WCF APPEARANCE, theyd actually be a "good" team year in and out.

None the less.. YOURE UP 3 GAMES on the hawks wooo!

This time it might actually be different!

Go blues!
Won't be happy until its 100% over and were past the Hawks but thanks for the kind words! I still think the Blues need to make it to the cup finals for this year to be considered any kind of success.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Had to dig for this thread.

Looks like the majority of people here would call this season a success now. I was one who said they need a cup.

Got this far. I will be disappointed if we don't win now especially considering the teams that are left.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Boston fans are also not asking the world for Krejci, they are absolutely fine with Shattenkirk+2nd for Krejci (some even said they would be fine with Vanelli instead of the 2nd, not sure which is more needed going forward). Krejci is a decent step up from RNH, and Stastny, plus he seems to play more of what would mesh well with Tarasenko (from what I've seen of him).
If Krejci is willing to waive a NMC, maybe throw in a conditional pick is Shattenkirk resigns? Like a 3rd or 4th? I'd definitely rather give Vanelli then a 2nd.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Had to dig for this thread.

Looks like the majority of people here would call this season a success now. I was one who said they need a cup.

Got this far. I will be disappointed if we don't win now especially considering the teams that are left.

Biggest complaint in past years was the apparent lack of intensity and performance, especially in key games. I could still be disappointed this year if we see a half hearted, lackluster effort and lose in any round, but this team is proving that they are different.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
So...Game 6 of Round 3. A 10-10 overall mark in this year's playoffs? A success?
It was certainly an improvement...but I'd still call this a failure. The only reason we're talking about the WCF being a success is because we're used to failure and have low standards. It's Finals or bust in my eyes.

Happy to see progress...but that wasn't the goal in the locker room...to bow out in Rd. 3. Hard to complain about the WCF...but it's hard to call it a "success" either.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
It's a success for me. After all the adversity and issues this team has had all year long, 2 wins away from a final is a success for me and I don't know very many other people that would say it's not with the team we have in front of us. Lack of 1C and other things and they still get 2 wins away. I am proud of them.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
According to the original poll, a majority of fans on this site considered a WCF series a success for the organization. First WCF in 15 years, so that is a definite improvement for the Blues.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Best thing this year was proving wrong all the fans that quit on the team in the first series against Chicago. Then again all the fans that gave up against Dallas, lol. I understand the fans reluctance to think that the Blues could win any playoff series after the last few years. Blues made a good run, one of the best playoff runs in years!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It was a great run but it also showed we are a ways away from the Cup. We got a bit lucky as well in when we played the first two teams. Chicago made a lot of TDL moves that just didn't click and they lost Keith for a game with suspension. So they weren't as good as they should be. Then Dallas comes in without Seguin. I am not trying to take anything away from our team, but they were both ripe for the pickings. And we barely get by. Then despite winning 2 games, we were fairly easily manhandled by the Sharks.

It did show some good things. Parayko and Fabbri (especially Fabbri) are real bright spots. We have a goalie who can win a series. We found some secondary scoring, and showed the older core can step up at times too.

That said, we need to make adjustments. Because it still isn't good enough. We fell short. And I think every Blues fan is disappointed to some extent that we still don't have a cup. I think we need to make some roster improvements and some coaching improvements to push us over the top. If we stand back, bring back most of this team with minimal changes, it will be a worse team. The cap won't let us bring everyone back. So we will be almost as good as a team that wasn't good enough. So we need to be pro-active in improving the team for now and the future.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
SCF Appearance

But in all honestly it depends on how things go in each series. If they go up in the SCF 3-0 and then lose the series 4-3, i would view that as a disappointment too.

:shakehead:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad