What Constitutes Success in the Playoffs?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Well this damn team has done it again. They start playing great hockey late in the season and gave me hope going into the playoffs. I don't know how they do it every single year and I fall for it every single year, but it never fails.

So with that, I ask the same question that I asked around this time last year; what would the Blues have to accomplish in order for you to call it a successful playoff run?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I could live with a WCF appearance. That tells me we are only one round away from the Cup and if we get to the Cup anything can happen. If we win two series, I'll be happy and know this team is finally improving.

But anything less than that still won't be good enough and will show that we need to make changes.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Losing in the first round again is an obvious failure.
Winning a series and losing second round is not a success but it is an improvement.
Winning 2 series and going to the WCF is a successful playoff run IMO.
Winning 3 series and going to the SCF is obviously a success.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I think it all depends on who eventually eliminates the Blues, and in what fashion. I want to say the WCF is an obvious success, but dropping four straight as in years past would still make me expect changes in the off-season.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Winning 2 series, going to the WCF, and playing well in that series against a very good team, would be a successful season for The Blues. Bowing out playing like they did vs. Minnesota last season would make it unsuccessful, even if they'd have won one or even 2 series before that. Getting to The Cup Finals would be good, even if they were to "choke" in that round.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Cup, anything less failure.

Anything the ends is getting swept, or eliminated on 4 straight defeats won't be considered acceptable to me. If we make the WCF, and lose a tough series, then I can be relatively happy with the clear inprovement.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Getting to the WCF is the only way the Blues will be able to shake the critics. If they end up facing Anaheim or the Kings in the WCF it will be a tough series but winnable. I just hope if they do lose the series it is in a hard fought game 6 or 7.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I say that anything less than WCF is a failure. I don't think lowering standards just because we've failed to raise our level of play and been eliminated in the first few rounds in recent seasons is a smart idea. Anything less than a WCF appearance will mean that major changes need to be made in the offseason. I think some will happen anyway because of the UFA's and salary cap. I don't really think it matters who we face as having any affect on my decision to call it a success or failure. We can beat any team we might possibly face. We've got winning records against Dallas, Nashville, Minnesota, and currently have a split with Chicago for the season. If we fail to any of those teams before the WCF, it's because we didn't play with the heart needed to win in the playoffs.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Baby steps, if this team could win 1st round its success in my eyes after that heaven is open. I believe if we won 1st round curse we gain so much extra boost so we can see flying Blues to the SC. So only obstacle is 1st round.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Winning the West and then losing to whatever comes out of the East would be pretty damn disappointing as well.

Washington included.

I'd be thrilled to see them in the Finals. A loss would suck...but making it to the Super Bowl or World Series is a pretty significant accomplishment in itself. The Blues haven't been to the Finals in my life time, and that would certainly qualify as a successful season in my eyes. A win would be surreal, spectacular and a cherry-on-top...but you've got to at least be the best of the eight on your own side of the bracket to feel good about the playoff run. If a WCF loss is deemed a successful year, it's only because we've set the bar so incredibly low after years of post-season ineptitude.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'd be thrilled to see them in the Finals. A loss would suck...but making it to the Super Bowl or World Series is a pretty significant accomplishment in itself. The Blues haven't been to the Finals in my life time, and that would certainly qualify as a successful season in my eyes. A win would be surreal, spectacular and a cherry-on-top...but you've got to at least be the best of the eight on your own side of the bracket to feel good about the playoff run. If a WCF loss is deemed a successful year, it's only because we've set the bar so incredibly low after years of post-season ineptitude.

A WCF loss is the acceptable minimum for at least seeing some progress. Sure as hell not going to call it success.

I don't disagree about making the Finals, my point is more that the EC team in the Finals is probably going to be lesser than at least one of the teams we'd need to beat to win the WC.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A WCF loss is the acceptable minimum for at least seeing some progress. Sure as hell not going to call it success.

I don't disagree about making the Finals, my point is more that the EC team in the Finals is probably going to be lesser than at least one of the teams we'd need to beat to win the WC.

Gotcha. Poll question was specifically about 'what would constitute a success', though. ;)

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
Screw this......Cup or bust! Who knows how long this window will be open. They've beaten MIN, CHI, DAL, ANA and just destroyed WAS all in the last few weeks. This is the best team under Hitch. Best goalie duo in the league, solid defense, two new stud rookies and overall a fantastic all-around team. There's absolutely no reason why this team isn't talented enough. The Blues have actually made us the fans scared to ask for what we really want. I've seen one 3rd round in my lifetime. I been a fan for over 20 years. None of you would be "happy" or "satisfied" deep down with a 2nd round bounce or WCF. We want the cup and we've waited long enough!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love seeing the phrase "this is the best team we've ever had!" as if we haven't been saying that several times before.

Besides the poll asks for minimum amount of progress. The "Cup or bust" argument does not really apply. 29 teams aren't going to be making huge changes because they didn't win.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
I love seeing the phrase "this is the best team we've ever had!" as if we haven't been saying that several times before.

Besides the poll asks for minimum amount of progress. The "Cup or bust" argument does not really apply. 29 teams aren't going to be making huge changes because they didn't win.

Never said it was the "Best team".....but IMO the best under Hitch. Like I've said, the Blues have made the fans scared. As much as anyone hates to admit, this year isn't last year. Believe me I've gone through the same trials and tribulations.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
If the Blues could at least make it to the WCFs, I would have to think that this would be a major improvement. We have had teams that everyone expected to go farther than they did. This team is good, but St. Louis fans don't have high expectations based on past performance. Time to win a few rounds in the playoffs and change the narrative.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
If the Blues could at least make it to the WCFs, I would have to think that this would be a major improvement. We have had teams that everyone expected to go farther than they did. This team is good, but St. Louis fans don't have high expectations based on past performance. Time to win a few rounds in the playoffs and change the narrative.

No offense but improvement from what? Anything is an improvement over last years horrible performance. We need to stop being so easy on this team. We need to expect more than a simple "splash" in the 2016 playoffs.

WhyteAveJesus

Aug 24, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I'd consider a success for the Blues' a cup final appearance. Sure they've had some trouble getting there in the past, but in the past they didn't have absolute studs like Fabbri or Parayko to lend a helping hand. This is a hungry team that's tired of early exits, I expect the work to be that much harder.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
My head tells me that we need to get to the Conference Final. However, there is 1 scenario where I would view a 2nd round loss as a success. If we beat the Hawks convincingly in round 1 and then lose a nail biter 7 game series in round 2, I think I could live with it. It certainly wouldn't be ideal, but it would be progress and would go a long way towards shedding the choker tag.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Well this damn team has done it again. They start playing great hockey late in the season and gave me hope going into the playoffs. I don't know how they do it every single year and I fall for it every single year, but it never fails.

This isn't directed at you MattyMo35 but wasn't the narrative the Blues always quit on Hitchcock at the end of the season two years ago? Funny how that has changed. Just another fallacy placed on Hitch's shoulders because his team was beat to hell two years ago.

Anyway, I said WCF. I mean, yeah, real success is a SC winner but I'm not greedy right now. I would actually be elated with a competitive 2nd round exit(though it would hurt a lot). Just give me more playoff hockey to enjoy and get the 1st round monkey off the team's back.

Would love for our young core to start going deep into the playoffs and not have the pressure placed on them like it has been for Backes, Steen, Oshie, Berglund and the old core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad