What are the chances of Gilbert Brule making the team in columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
I think Brule gets the 10 game tryout and then sent back to the juniors.

Yes - he has improved his game quite a bit since the opening of training camp but he has too many factors working against him such as the new UFA rules (which cannot be ignored) and some actual depth in the lineup now for the CBJ.

The CBJ no longer has to play 1st round draft picks during their draft year - we can afford to let these kids develop with key minutes in the juniors/college/AHL/etc.

I know alot of people will say that if he's good enough to make the team now then to hell with the UFA rules - the team will deal with that when he's 25 but I don't think its that cut and dry in the 'new NHL'.

As has been stated before, would you rather have a kid from 18 - 25 or from 20 - 27? Yeah - we would push to sign him at 25 if he was a UFA but there is only so much money to be spent and with the youth this team is building the cap management must start now and taking the new UFA rules into consideration are a big part of cap management.

That said - I don't think the team can deny him a roster spot next year - especially if he continues to mature both mentaly and physically.

Great points. I think you'll see teams be more cautious as to which kids they bring up because of the 7 years of NHL service rule for UFA status. If Brule can't be at least a 3rd liner then might as well leave him in the WHL. When he's 19 he'll make it. No harm in that.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
flambers said:
none, he is a small guy will need a few more years to be ready for NHL.
thats a stupid statement. hes small now, but hes gonna be small next year

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
I think the UFA theory is overrated to some degree. For example, why is Crosby going to be on the Pens? Regardless of how well he plays this year, it's almost certain he'll be better when he's 24, 25, right? So why should the Pens have him on the team this year?

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not there is enough benefit to the team and player for them to be in the NHL, as opposed to juniors and the like. The number one priority for any organization is going to be to have their prospect develop and reach their potential. If this is best suited being in the NHL instead of in juniors, it's unlikely that UFA status is going to force a team to act in a way that is contrary to the best interests of the player's development.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
RDriesen16 said:
thats a stupid statement. hes small now, but hes gonna be small next year

But what's the hurry? Your team will benifit a great deal from Brule getting the chance to finish growing without having the crap beat out of him by adults in the NHL. Another year of junior where he should absolutely tear it up, and then maybe bits of the next between the AHL and the bigs. By that time, the Jackets will have made the playoffs, and might be a better threat to go deep. You have your team stars on different lengths of contracts and at different ages. That's another good thing for the team. Great players at different ages means you can afford depth players as well.

Of course the fans want the players immediately, but for the success of the team long term, it's better if Brule plays at least another year of junior and then then some AHL.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Bluesman said:
I think the UFA theory is overrated to some degree. For example, why is Crosby going to be on the Pens? Regardless of how well he plays this year, it's almost certain he'll be better when he's 24, 25, right? So why should the Pens have him on the team this year?

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not there is enough benefit to the team and player for them to be in the NHL, as opposed to juniors and the like. The number one priority for any organization is going to be to have their prospect develop and reach their potential. If this is best suited being in the NHL instead of in juniors, it's unlikely that UFA status is going to force a team to act in a way that is contrary to the best interests of the player's development.

I think you are missing out on a key point here. Brule is in no way shape or form the same kind of draw that Crosby is. Never mind talent, skill, etc. It's the marketing that has Crosby on the Pens, or any other NHL team, and Brule just doesn't have the same cashe.

Transported Upstater

Bluesman said:

Nothing against Brule, who probably would have gone #2 if he was bigger, but he is not nearly at Crosby's level.

I can see Brule benefitting from another year in the WHL after a 10-game tryout (although in an ideal world, he'd be playing with Syracuse, where I could go see him in late December.) Crosby definitely does not need to play 16-20 year olds any more and would in no way benefit from another season in Rimouski.

Crosby had to be brought to Pittsburgh. If he becomes 75% of the player he could be, Pittsburgh should offer him max contracts until he's done. *IF* he does become a world beater, they can't let him get away.

Worst case scenario though, I see Crosby being a multi all-star. Ambitious scenario, he could become the game's biggest ambassador in the 21st century and a Hall of Famer.

Brule for some reason reminds me of Theo Fleury, only taller (kind of hard to be shorter than Theo, heh.) Considering I was a Fleury fan (when he was in Calgary, that is), that's a compliment. Fleury had a fantastic career. If Brule becomes a player of that caliber, he'll have had tremendous success in the league.

But what do I know...

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
jacketracket said:
Klesla and Fritsche got their well-earned 10-game looks with the big club their first years, and then were sent down ... Leclaire hasn't been rushed. Nash and Zherdev are the only two to stick with the CBJ right out of the barrel, and deservedly so ...

That's as an 18 year old... as a 19 year old he made the team, so Columbus loses a year of service (even under the old system they lost a year of arbitration), and it's not like Rusty did them a lot in terms of winning games.

And Fritsche got a 19 game look, not a 10 game look.

... now you've shown that you really didn't know what you were talking about, to begin with ...

My mistake for even replying to such idiocy.

How is it idiocy?

How much better/worse would Columbus have been without Nash in the lineup?

Before you answer, consider this... Nash was on the ice for more goals against than any other player on that team.

Columbus, as a team, was -71. Rick Nash Alone was -21 (factoring in ES, PP and SH goals for and against). He was again the worst on the team in that regard.

So the question is, if he's on the ice for so many goals against, how is he really helping the team win games?

As of now, he's got a big lucrative deal and he's 2 years closer to UFA status... wouldn't have Columbus been better off waiting until this year before bringing Nash in as a fulltime player?

They wouldn't have been any worse in the regular season + Nash wouldn't be making a tonne of money + they'd have him for 7 more years.

Nash will probably be a great player in the NHL... but Columbus would be better if they got 7 years out of Nash from 20-27 than 7 years from 18-25. There is no doubt Nash will be a better player from Now on than he was his first 2 seasons... and if he's not going to make the difference between winning and losing those first 2 years, why play him and have him do what he did (which is cash in on a big payday and cost you 2 years of valuable service)?

Last edited:

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Jag68Vlady27 said:
My philosophy re: Brule would be simple...is he one of the four best centers in camp? If the answer is yes (and by all accounts it is), then he makes the team. If not, he returns to junior or chooses to play in Europe. If the team doesn't want him to play in the NHL right away, then they should find somebody who is better than Brule RIGHT NOW.

The question is, is an 18 year old Brule going to contribute in a more meaningful way to winning than an older player would? If so, will Columbus make the playoffs with Brule playing?

If not, why use up a year of service on a guy if he isn't going to be a difference maker?

I've often heard the argument that 18-year-old players coming out of junior do not belong in the NHL. That they need more seasoning, etc. But I think the worst message an organization can send to any player in training camp is to send a player down or return him to their former junior club ONLY because of his age and not because of the way he played.

The last thing I would want is for a junior player to return to his team knowing full well that he was one of the best players in camp. All of this would be moot if only the NHL would get rid of the stupid rule re: 18 and 19-year olds in the CHL.

There are very few 18/19 year old players who can come in and make a valuable impact on NHL clubs. Very few 18 and 19 year olds can come into the league and not get killed at even strength (which is where the majority of goals and that are scored.

Most young players help their teams if they are legit PP threats, and are used sparringly at ES (mostly 4th line duties).

An example would be Patrice Bergeron in Boston. He had the 3rd most minutes on the team at his position (centre), and he had guys above him that would play agaisnt the other teams better players. He spent all season helping the PP and eating up easier minutes at ES.

But unless the player is going to help you make the playoffs, why play him?

Players like Brule, Latendresse, Marc Staal, Bourdon and others are at LEAST ready for the AHL. By not being eligible to play there this year, it's going to somewhat hinder their development (not that it will ruin them, they're too good).

That CHL rule only helps CHL teams, it does not help the players IMHO.

No doubt about that. Most of these kids would be better served to play in the AHL at 19 (less so at 18).

And let's not forget that the CHL helps alot of these players get noticed in the first place, so helping the CHL teams back isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's like saying NCAA drafted players can stay in the teams system longer is good for the NCAA, but bad for the players.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Brule looks good!!

Played very well in the 2 games he has played. Had a few nerves in the first game but shook those off with a solid 2 way game 2 vs. Detroit. Finds a way to put the puck in the net especially on penalty shots. Seems to handle the physical part of the game fairly well too. Looks to me like he belongs in Columbus.

jacketracket*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Another goal tonight, seems to have some chemistry with Zherdev. Wouldn't be suprised if he played a top 6 role with the BJ's this season.
Nice work, with the avi ...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Brule is going to make the team. He has outplayed his competition, Alex Picard and Dan Fritsche (who's been injured and has played only 1 preseason game), to earn one of the roster spots.

(monster_bertuzzi's avatar looks familiar! ;) )

X0ssbar

dawgbone said:
As of now, he's got a big lucrative deal and he's 2 years closer to UFA status... wouldn't have Columbus been better off waiting until this year before bringing Nash in as a fulltime player?

They wouldn't have been any worse in the regular season + Nash wouldn't be making a tonne of money + they'd have him for 7 more years.

Nash will probably be a great player in the NHL... but Columbus would be better if they got 7 years out of Nash from 20-27 than 7 years from 18-25. There is no doubt Nash will be a better player from Now on than he was his first 2 seasons... and if he's not going to make the difference between winning and losing those first 2 years, why play him and have him do what he did (which is cash in on a big payday and cost you 2 years of valuable service)?

I understand what your getting at here and to some degree I agree with you but in Columbus' defense of playing Nash early - they had no idea the new UFA rules would be what they are now when they signed/played him early. They also were coming off a terrible season with nothing really to sell to their fan base besides the excitement of getting the #1 pick in Nash and the signing of two UFA defensemen in Richardson and Lachance. The offensive blue chippers in the organization were also a bare cupboard.

So hindsight being 20/20 and if they new what the new UFA rules would be, I don't think they would have played Nash as an 18 year old but its all here and there now I guess.

jacketracket*

dawgbone said:
That's as an 18 year old... as a 19 year old he made the team, so Columbus loses a year of service (even under the old system they lost a year of arbitration), and it's not like Rusty did them a lot in terms
of winning games.

And Fritsche got a 19 game look, not a 10 game look.
Your argument might have held water, had MacLean known at the time that UFA eligibility would be lowered, with the new CBA. You suggested that MacLean rushes prospects along too quickly, and I gave examples showing the opposite to be true.

How is it idiocy?
Arguing that the CBJ are a better team with Nash off the ice .. that is the definition of silliness.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
During his weekly radio show today, he said he called up Brule's agent and offered the rookie contract. Has to be signed by Oct. 2 or he'll go back to Vancouver. Like DJA said, he's beating his competition and should stick around. He can center the third line for a month or two and maybe if he's doing well he can swap with Marchant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad