What are the chances of Gilbert Brule making the team in columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeymomma

Feb 12, 2005
Toronto
Brule

Do you people actually watch games...he was the best player on the ice tonight for both teams by a mile....he will be staying for sure! :clap:

Matt Foley*

Going into the preseason, I was convinced that he would get the ten-game trial with the Jackets and go back to juniors for one more year, no matter what. I'm not so sure, now.

I saw him play both this past Sunday and last night, and he has really stepped up his game in that short time. A lot of the concerns expressed about him before training camp started up revolved around his lack of size, but he looks like he fits in out there. He's shown that he can not only take a hit, but also dish them out, as well.

I honestly think that his making the Jackets this season also depends on the situations of other players, one in particular being Danny Fritsche, who hasn't played since the Traverse City tournament a couple of weeks ago due to injury. If Danny can't stay healthy long enough for the team to gauge his progress, then Brule might have a good chance to make the squad.

If Brule were to make the team, I'd like to see him get at least third line time, as opposed to the burying-him-on-the-fourth-line nonsense that they did with Fritsche his rookie year. Either give him some meaningful playing time, or send him back to juniors. He's not going to get better playing 5 minutes a night or watching from the press box.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
First of all... the pre-season is young.

Most of the guys playing right now won't see a sniff of NHL action anyways.

That being said, Doug McLean has shown that he's willing to throw kids to the wolves without really having them do much to help the team win.

That's why Rick Nash makes $5 mil per year, but the team is better with him off the ice...

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Brule was one of the best players on the ice last night and while yes it is pre season, Detroit iced a fairly veteran squad last night.

As of now, his size has not been a detriment as he has played a very physical style, delivering a couple of very good hits and battling like a true junk yard dog in front of the net and in the corners.

X0ssbar

I think Brule gets the 10 game tryout and then sent back to the juniors.

Yes - he has improved his game quite a bit since the opening of training camp but he has too many factors working against him such as the new UFA rules (which cannot be ignored) and some actual depth in the lineup now for the CBJ.

The CBJ no longer has to play 1st round draft picks during their draft year - we can afford to let these kids develop with key minutes in the juniors/college/AHL/etc.

I know alot of people will say that if he's good enough to make the team now then to hell with the UFA rules - the team will deal with that when he's 25 but I don't think its that cut and dry in the 'new NHL'.

As has been stated before, would you rather have a kid from 18 - 25 or from 20 - 27? Yeah - we would push to sign him at 25 if he was a UFA but there is only so much money to be spent and with the youth this team is building the cap management must start now and taking the new UFA rules into consideration are a big part of cap management.

That said - I don't think the team can deny him a roster spot next year - especially if he continues to mature both mentaly and physically.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
if and when he gets back to juniors, Brule will be dominant. I dont think 135 pts is out of the question. He has improved SO much in the last month.

ClaudeLemieux4HOF

Jul 15, 2005
long island, ny
id say the 10 game trial as well if the CBA still lets you play someone for the 1st 10 games and still let them maintain their junior eligibility - i havent heard much on that yet

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Damn, I was really hoping he'd play for Vancouver this year. The Giants *finally* seem to have sorted out their goaltending woes, but losing Courchaine and Brule would be a devastating blow.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
VOB said:
Brule was one of the best players on the ice last night and while yes it is pre season, Detroit iced a fairly veteran squad last night.

As of now, his size has not been a detriment as he has played a very physical style, delivering a couple of very good hits and battling like a true junk yard dog in front of the net and in the corners.

no... no we didnt.. if you call a veteran lineup as being tryouts who wont make it, about 5-6 starters and a rookie goalie, then yea sure.. by all means we didnt throw up a competitive lineup.

Brule although was very impressive, picard i didnt see as much which was upsetting

X0ssbar

zetterberg40 said:
Brule although was very impressive, picard i didnt see as much which was upsetting

Picard tweaked a groin and left midway through the game. He is day-to-day.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think he'll stick, and have thought so for awhile.

I don't see what staying another year in the WHL does for him. His skating and shot are already more than NHL-calibre, and he'll be the best forward in that league by a country mile. His biggest problem is his prima-donna attitude and selfish play, and I don't see how putting him in a situation where he can go half-speed, not use his linemates, and still be the best player on the ice helps him. Being surrounded by veterans, on the other hand, would be ideal for him at this point.

jacketracket*

Nothing against Price, but I'm glad he was available to the habs in the 5th spot.

jacketracket*

dawgbone said:
First of all... the pre-season is young.
Okay ...

Most of the guys playing right now won't see a sniff of NHL action anyways.
... still with you ...

That being said, Doug McLean has shown that he's willing to throw kids to the wolves without really having them do much to help the team win.
Klesla and Fritsche got their well-earned 10-game looks with the big club their first years, and then were sent down ... Leclaire hasn't been rushed. Nash and Zherdev are the only two to stick with the CBJ right out of the barrel, and deservedly so ...

That's why Rick Nash makes $5 mil per year, but the team is better with him off the ice...
... now you've shown that you really didn't know what you were talking about, to begin with ...

My mistake for even replying to such idiocy.

jacketracket*

Baisleyens said:
Jacketracket,
why are u glad that Brule was available to the Habs with the 5th pick?
I was glad that Price was available to the Habs at #5 ...

I expected Brule to go #2, and definitely top 3 --- when he was still on the board at #5, I assumed the habs would jump on him.

Baisleyens

Sep 12, 2005
jacketracket said:
I was glad that Price was available to the Habs at #5 ...

I expected Brule to go #2, and definitely top 3 --- when he was still on the board at #5, I assumed the habs would jump on him.

I agree I think that Ryan threw some people off and that also contributed (amongst other things) to the fact that Brulé was taken so low. But a good pick for Columbus, I just hope it doesn't bit the Habs in the *** in couple of years.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My philosophy re: Brule would be simple...is he one of the four best centers in camp? If the answer is yes (and by all accounts it is), then he makes the team. If not, he returns to junior or chooses to play in Europe. If the team doesn't want him to play in the NHL right away, then they should find somebody who is better than Brule RIGHT NOW.

I've often heard the argument that 18-year-old players coming out of junior do not belong in the NHL. That they need more seasoning, etc. But I think the worst message an organization can send to any player in training camp is to send a player down or return him to their former junior club ONLY because of his age and not because of the way he played.

The last thing I would want is for a junior player to return to his team knowing full well that he was one of the best players in camp. All of this would be moot if only the NHL would get rid of the stupid rule re: 18 and 19-year olds in the CHL.

Players like Brule, Latendresse, Marc Staal, Bourdon and others are at LEAST ready for the AHL. By not being eligible to play there this year, it's going to somewhat hinder their development (not that it will ruin them, they're too good).

That CHL rule only helps CHL teams, it does not help the players IMHO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
weel, scott van pelt (of ESPN's sportscenter) has already learned how to pronounce his name, so id assume he stays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA