What are some of your least favourite wrestling moves?

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
There are different sets of rules or laws.

AEW vs NJPW vs 90s All Japan vs WWE vs Mexican Lucha

IMO most of the confusion stems from not being aware or just not liking the specific laws.

Also The Young Bucks matches have laws of their own. They are more fireworks than storytelling. Its not my favorite thing but I can appreciate it and it works well to have different kinds of things on a show.
Certainly. I still think "tree of woe double stomp" doesn't fit into any of those rulesets... Even the Bucks one, God help me.

When done right kicking out of finishers is one of the best things.

Also true. However, there's a stupidity event horizon where people are using things that are obvious finishers as a regular move (ie: Canadian destroyers, spanish fly, etc).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Certainly. I still think "tree of woe double stomp" doesn't fit into any of those rulesets... Even the Bucks one, God help me.

Also true. However, there's a stupidity event horizon where people are using things that are obvious finishers as a regular move (ie: Canadian destroyers, spanish fly, etc).
Yeah, this is especially prominent in AEW. It's like those guys love their own finishers so much that they will spam the f*** out of other common, popular finshers but never win using them - only their own.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ok.

The one move that is everywhere and if I think about it even for a second breaks the immersion for me right away.

Running the ropes does not work like that. If your legs were wheels it might.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ok.

The one move that is everywhere and if I think about it even for a second breaks the immersion for me right away.

Running the ropes does not work like that. If your legs were wheels it might.

For me thats the overused "everyone stand on the floor next to the apron and pretend to punch while looking at the ring to catch the guy whos gonna jump the ropes"

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
For me thats the overused "everyone stand on the floor next to the apron and pretend to punch while looking at the ring to catch the guy whos gonna jump the ropes"
But that might happen. A group of people might not notice someone is jumping on them.

You are not stuck running when someone tosses you by your arm and you also dont bounce back when you run in to ring ropes. If you own a pair of legs you know this. And it is just accepted in all wrestling that legs work like wheels in this situation. Wheels with no breaks.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As hilariously bad as an Irish whip is, it's always been a part of wrestling since the very beginning. It's hilariously illogical but it doesn't get me riled up.

My favorite is playing the old SD vs RAW wrestling games where you Irish whip a dude by the ring and he keeps running up the ramp and into the set. It cracks me up every time.

I've probably said it 1000 times but the cartwheel corner spot grinds my gears. Like the two cartwheel thing into a back elbow. Just f***ing run and elbow someone. I'll forgive Tiffany Stratton because she makes it look somewhat good because she actually does it in one motion.

I always liked Kane as a wrestler but his inability to take a DDT or Pedigree was frustrating. He'd basically just land on his knees and make the move look so shitty.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As hilariously bad as an Irish whip is, it's always been a part of wrestling since the very beginning. It's hilariously illogical but it doesn't get me riled up.

I agree. Thats partly why I chose it because its not just a cultute difference but a universal aspect of wrestling.
My favorite is playing the old SD vs RAW wrestling games where you Irish whip a dude by the ring and he keeps running up the ramp and into the set. It cracks me up every time.
Oh shit I forgot about that :DD
I've probably said it 1000 times but the cartwheel corner spot grinds my gears. Like the two cartwheel thing into a back elbow. Just f***ing run and elbow someone. I'll forgive Tiffany Stratton because she makes it look somewhat good because she actually does it in one motion.
I like the elbow spot by Keijih Mutah because there was something otherworldly about his gimmick.

Kind of similar to Undertakers 'old school' spot where basically his opponent is helping Undie walk the rope.
I always liked Kane as a wrestler but his inability to take a DDT or Pedigree was frustrating. He'd basically just land on his knees and make the move look so shitty.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
It will always be hilarious to me that Hulk Hogan's finishing move was a plain old leg drop. Motherf***er must have had a titanium hamstring on him or some shit to make a generic move like that seem feasible as a finisher.

Same with the Ultimate Warrior's finisher. Gorilla press in to a little splash? Like wtf? I get that the guy was absolutely jacked but for the love of God. Were his and Hogan's skillsets so limited that that's the best they could come up with?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Irish Whip CAN work if it's done properly. Bret Hart used to sell the f*** out of the move by running into the turnbuckle the same way he was whipped. It also requires the person performing the move to use a lot of force when "whipping" their opponent.

Unfortunately like 99% of people both perform the move and sell the move incorrectly.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Irish Whip CAN work if it's done properly. Bret Hart used to sell the f*** out of the move by running into the turnbuckle the same way he was whipped. It also requires the person performing the move to use a lot of force when "whipping" their opponent.

Unfortunately like 99% of people both perform the move and sell the move incorrectly.
I used to hate when Flair would get Irish whipped into the turnbuckle and then do that flip thing. Now i find it hilarious, honestly. Which is the way I found Flairs work when i look back on it.

No doubt he's one of the greats, but I always found Ric's matches had the same shit in them all the time.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No doubt he's one of the greats, but I always found Ric's matches had the same shit in them all the time.

I like the way Flair explained away this criticism. He said when you work a lot of 30-60 minute matches, chances are you will see a lot of the same moves in all matches

In general I do think part of the appeal of wrestling, is the fans want something to cheer or boo for or against so while the fall flat on his face was rather repetitive it was a crowd pleaser, same with a lot of Ric or any other wrestler's repetitive moves.

You also have to remember Flair wrestled at a time we didn't get weekly top stars having matches like we do today, so between TV/PPV/Live events you might see Flair like 5-7 times a year

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like the way Flair explained away this criticism. He said when you work a lot of 30-60 minute matches, chances are you will see a lot of the same moves in all matches

In general I do think part of the appeal of wrestling, is the fans want something to cheer or boo for or against so while the fall flat on his face was rather repetitive it was a crowd pleaser, same with a lot of Ric or any other wrestler's repetitive moves.

You also have to remember Flair wrestled at a time we didn't get weekly top stars having matches like we do today, so between TV/PPV/Live events you might see Flair like 5-7 times a year
He also wrestled at a time when wrestling wasn't critiqued and exposed like it is today, so what he did seemed believable for the most part and people didn't really care about movesets.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'll try to pick one a lot of people seem to like...

Darby's coffin drop is stupid. I get that it's daring to drop backwards not looking, but it's a stupid finisher. Just jump forward and do a splash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad