What are some of your least favourite wrestling moves?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sasha Banks frog splash is ass, but I enjoy the move.

Honestly, it's probably the spear for me as well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Only person who should use the spear as a finisher is Rhyno imo

I hate the DDT when used as a regular move. V disrespectful to Jake Roberts imo

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
TBH I never liked Sister Abigail / Cross Rhodes / Blade Runner type move as a finisher.. Thinking about it now is the Cross Rhodes a little different? It probably looks the best of the three. Funny too because Im a big fan of Bray and jay despite this

I aslo think the dead eye is stupid

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Personally I am not a fan of when people punch and there elbow basically almost touches the head. It looks really fake, I prefer the method of punching when you basically don't clench your hand into a fist but make it look like one then hit the person. If done right you hardly feel anything

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Winner goes to Cena's AA. A fireman's carry. Neat. May as well use an arm drag.

Totally agree that any spear for a finisher, outside of Rhino, is awful. I was pissed when Edge dropped that spike (Edgecution) as a finisher. Way better.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Winner goes to Cena's AA. A fireman's carry. Neat. May as well use an arm drag.

Totally agree that any spear for a finisher, outside of Rhino, is awful. I was pissed when Edge dropped that spike (Edgecution) as a finisher. Way better.
Brock Lesnar's F5 also looks horrible if the person taking it doesn't know how to sell it and instead lands on their knees and forearms. Like, dude, that doesn't look like it hurt lol.

CM Punk's GTS because he sucks at performing it.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Running shoulder tackle

Do do do do do do do do
Do do do do do do do do

1693521918637.gif

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
The enziguri or step up enziguri.

Seems like Michael Cole calls every other move an enziguri. Drives me nuts. Moves that look nothing alike "OH ENZIGURI! STEP UP ENZIGURI!"

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Pumphandle set up for a powerslam. Just seems like a way more complicated way to do a powerslam.

I don't mind it if it's a reversal to a reversal type of thing, but if you have the upper hand on your opponent and you deliberately do a pump handle just to powerslam them, I think it's goofy.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Pumphandle set up for a powerslam. Just seems like a way more complicated way to do a powerslam.

I don't mind it if it's a reversal to a reversal type of thing, but if you have the upper hand on your opponent and you deliberately do a pump handle just to powerslam them, I think it's goofy.
Pumphandle f***ing anything. I clicked on this thread to make that very clear. Rhea Ripley may as well dress in a Bozo The Clown outfit delivering her finishing move.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
For the people who think using an old timers finisher as a normal move is disrespectful. This has been how it goes forever: The Spinebuster by Arn Anderson, The Piledriver by Jerry Lawler, The Atomic Drop by Bob Backlund.. its how it goes. Finishers of the 50s become normal moves of the 60s. Finishers of the 60s normal moves of the 70s and so forth.

I think any move can be awesome as long as it makes sense in the make believe context of the match we are watching.

Personally I find the 10 punches in the corner type of moves boring but it gives the crowd a chance to count the punches and make noise once the 10th hits etc.

My old man shouting at clouds move is the canadian destroyer. Its silly and should only be used as a finisher.

Last edited:

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

This f***ing tree of woe double-stomp move, where a wrestler literally has to hold himself up for their opponent to deliver it. The most Kayfabe-breaking nonsense that isn't a comedy spot.

Find it funny how many "makes it hard to suspend disbelief" posts there are here.

If youve done a tiny bit of any legit martial art you realise how far from reality 99,9% of wrestling is.

Movies aren't real either, but you still want to try and suspend disbelief just a little.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

This f***ing tree of woe double-stomp move, where a wrestler literally has to hold himself up for their opponent to deliver it. The most Kayfabe-breaking nonsense that isn't a comedy spot.

Movies aren't real either, but you still want to try and suspend disbelief just a little.

Agreed. Tree of Woe spots almost never look good.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Marvel and Lord of the Rings seemed to do just fine?

Also. I decided to completely rewrite the post.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Marvel and Lord of the Rings seemed to do just fine?

Also. I decided to completely rewrite the post.

Fair enough, I'll respond to your new post. In response to this post, I would say... Yes, exactly. Like those two franchises, wrestling has created a fictional universe that you need to buy into. Those things follow rules, they can't just do whatever they want willy-nilly. When something occurs that is outside of the established rules within a fictional universe, it usually breaks immersion and takes you out of what you're watching.

I'm sure you've had that happen to you when you've watched something and some component of it just didn't feel right.

For the people who think using an old timers finisher as a normal move is disrespectful. This has been how it goes forever: The Spinebuster by Arn Anderson, The Piledriver by Jerry Lawler, The Atomic Drop by Bob Backlund.. its how it goes. Finishers of the 50s become normal moves of the 60s. Finishers of the 60s normal moves of the 70s and so forth.

I think any move can be awesome as long as it makes sense in the make believe context of the match we are watching.

Personally I find the 10 punches in the corner type of moves boring but it gives the crowd a chance to count the punches and make noise once the 10th hits etc.

My old man shouting at clouds move is the canadian destroyer. Its silly and should only be used as a finisher.

Agree with all of this pretty much. I'd add in other moves that are completely over-the-top and should only be finishers... Like the top-rope spanish fly, top-rope death-riders, etc. AEW is pretty guilty of this. New Japan as well sometimes.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Fair enough, I'll respond to your new post. In response to this post, I would say... Yes, exactly. Like those two franchises, wrestling has created a fictional universe that you need to buy into. Those things follow rules, they can't just do whatever they want willy-nilly. When something occurs that is outside of the established rules within a fictional universe, it usually breaks immersion and takes you out of what you're watching.

I'm sure you've had that happen to you when you've watched something and some component of it just didn't feel right.
There are different sets of rules or laws.

AEW vs NJPW vs 90s All Japan vs WWE vs Mexican Lucha

IMO most of the confusion stems from not being aware or just not liking the specific laws.

Also The Young Bucks matches have laws of their own. They are more fireworks than storytelling. Its not my favorite thing but I can appreciate it and it works well to have different kinds of things on a show.

Agree with all of this pretty much. I'd add in other moves that are completely over-the-top and should only be finishers... Like the top-rope spanish fly, top-rope death-riders, etc. AEW is pretty guilty of this. New Japan as well sometimes.
When done right kicking out of finishers is one of the best things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00