What amazing moment did you see in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

And don't lie!!

I didnt realize it's importance at the time, but as a young child I saw the Dryden brothers play opposite at the Forum.

I also saw a prelim game Canada v. Sweden Canada Cup 87 and saw Mario and Wayne play together. One 2 on 1 I remember, and Mario put it in. Also remember, 99 circling off a faceoff and thinking wow he can skate.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Seeing the Flyers break the NHL record for consecutive games without a loss at 29, against the Bruins in Boston Garden, back in 1979, a streak that ran to 35.

I also saw Edmonton's 1990 Stanley Cup clincher in Boston.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Saw...

Ott push Spezza around all night to the incredible cheers of Spitfire fans during Spezza's first game in Windsor after being traded away. :clap: Spezza was a lazy floater without the puck and the bluecollar workers of Windsor preferred the lunchbucket attitude of going to work every shift full tilt as Steve Ott does.

and...

Mark Recchi swing and miss a golf ball.
:biglaugh:
One of the most prolific scorers in NHL history indeed.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Greg Adams...I was only a wee tyke so I don't remember it that well...

Getting the thrill of being able to see Pavel Bure perform in his prime...

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
THe London Knights break the CHL record for most games unbeaten (30) games...

Hopefully I get to witness w/ front row seats Crosby vs. the Knights in the mem cup this year and even better witness the London Knights winning the mem cup on home ice !!!!!!

theranfordflop

Jul 2, 2003
Vancouver
The year was 2001. It was one of the most hotly contested spring league seasons in the history of Planet Ice Coquitlam, a season filled with surprises, contraversy and of course... Fantastic beer league hockey.

The course of the season saw two div 2 teams emerge as the power houses. The Tri-City Icehawks were the wily veterans, and they played with the unshakeable confidence and panache of a team that knew they were the team to beat. Meanwhile, the upstart Beavers, a rag tag group of youngsters, proved to be a perfect foil for the well oiled Icehawks. Led by the veteran goalie known only as Dwayne, they tore through the regular season with a youthful fervor that stunned opponents, and thrilled the crowd.

It was kismet that these two teams would meet in the finals, and once there, they did not disappoint. The Icehawks proved to be the better of the two squads in the first, their stifling defense, and insatiable offense breaking down the Beavers spirit slowly. But as is the want of youth, the Beavers came back in the next game stronger and more determined, taking the game and bringing the series to a deciding third contest.

Game three was played, seemingly, on a giant marshmallow. Both teams were loathe to take too many chances, and the wear and tear of a longish season and intense playoffs had finally gotten the best of these two ice platoons. Like two old heavyweights, they each landed body blows, both too stubborn to show an inch of wear. The game was deadlocked through regulation.

Overtime was a tense affair, and both sides were tentative. It seemed neither side had the energy for that one last burst that was needed if they ever wanted to hoist the planet ice cup. the overtime dragged on, each goalie making routine save after routine save.

Then suddenly, a break for the Icehawks! Jonathan Brooks, the Icehawks star player, broke in off the wing, spinning Beavers defenseman Caesar Devera around in circles, and fired a bullet at Dwayne Zemenchik. The puck sailed high and careened off the boards landing as if by divine intervention onto the stick of Xuan-Thy Bui. Bui and Milan found themselves on a two on one break! Bui attempted a saucer pass to Milan, but the puck was intercepted by the diving Icehawks defenseman. However, nobody had noticed the Beavers Justin Salon speeding into the zone, and as the puck bounced out into the slot, Salon took a blind swat. The puck fluttered in behind Icehawks goalie Tony Nicholas and the Beavers had won their first Planet Ice Spring Season Championship!

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
-The second Wings/Avs showdown with Roy/Osgood fighting at centre ice (my first NHL game)

-Detroit blowout Roy and the Avs 7-0 in the WCF of the 2002 cup run

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
#1 - Wayne Gretzky ties Phil Esposito for most goals in a single season (76) against Detroit in 1982. I was 10 years old.
#2 - Steve Yzerman scores his 1000th career point against Buffalo
#3 - Steve Yzerman scores his 500th career goal against Colorado.

My brother and I figure we are 2 of an extremely small number of people who were lucky enough to see both of those Yzerman milestones live in person. Why? Because although the 500th goal came at home in Detroit, the game against Buffalo was at the Aud. I can't imagine too many Detroit fans travelled to Buffalo on a week night in December, so it's most likely just a handful of teammates, coaches, team officials, Yzerman family members and us. Well, maybe a couple other fans, but you get the idea.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Game 6 in the 1994 eastern conference finals when that ********** predicted that the Rangers would win and force a game 7 and backed it up with a hat trick against the Devils. It was amazing, but it sucked more.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Lou is God said:
Game 6 in the 1994 eastern conference finals when that ********** predicted that the Rangers would win and force a game 7 and backed it up with a hat trick against the Devils. It was amazing, but it sucked more.
The Moose deserves to be referred to by name! That was when I knew he'd go down in history as one of the greatest in history.

Wish I was at the game. That was one intense war to watch on t.v.!

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Having grown up in Hartford, and been just a little too young to clearly remember the 86 playoffs, the closest thing to a great moment I ever witnessed was the drubbing the Red Army gave the Whale during their tour of North America in 88, I think. The final score was 6-1, I believe, and my father and I got the feeling that it could have been a lot worse than that.

I saw a lot of games in old Civic Center (although very few of them were really ESPN Classic material ;) ), and rarely did I see the Whalers get dominated like that (yes, even the lowly whale didn't drubbed that badly often). The Soviets were just so incredible.

That said, Dineen and Francis were given the night off, as I recall.

Not that it would have mattered. Maybe they could've made it 6-2 or something instead. :banana:

se7en*

I saw Gretz's OT slapper past Mike Vernon in the 1988 Smythe division finals. That was an amazing moment for me.

monkey_00*

All Games at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum

1986 World Junior Championships (Russia winners)...Mogilny-Fedorov-Bure combo

1987 Canada Cup...Gretzky to Lemieux...games 2 & 3 of the Finals here in Hamilton

1990 Memorial Cup...Oshawa Generals lead by Eric Lindros defeats Kitchener Rangers in the Finals in TRIPLE OVERTIME

1991 Canada Cup...Canada defeats Team USA with Gretzky watching from Copps Coliseum press box after being hit from behind by Gary Suter in previous game.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Shortly after 9/11, watching the Flyers and Rangers shake hands and skate off the ice after the 2nd intermission had been prolonged for almost an hour by Bush's speech to Congress.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HFNHL Commish said:
Shortly after 9/11, watching the Flyers and Rangers shake hands and skate off the ice after the 2nd intermission had been prolonged for almost an hour by Bush's speech to Congress.

I was at that game as well. Other memorable games I was at include:

1979 Flyers/Kings Regular season: The night Randy Holt of the Kings set an NHL record with 67 pims in one game (actually all in the first period) :eek: . One minor, three majors, two 10-min misconducts and three game misconducts. A brawl filled game to remember.

1980 USA 4 - Finland 2 - to finish off the impossible dream and win the gold medal.

1985 Flyers/Nordiques Game 6 Wales Conference Finals - Leading in games 3-2, and leading 1-0 the Nordiques get a two man advantage in the 2nd period, with a chance to tie and send the game back to Quebec for a game 7. Dave Poulin steals a pass and goes in alone and blows one over Mario Gosselin's shoulder ... that and Pelle Lindbergh's shutout propel the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals.

1987 Flyers/Oilers Game 6 Stanley Cup Finals - Trailing the series 3-2, and trailing in the game 2-1, the Flyers get what will likely be their last power play of the game with 7 minutes to play in the season Pelle Eklund hits a streaking Brian Propp who rips one over Fuhr's glove to tie the game. Less than 90 seconds later J.J Daigneault comes off the bench and blasts a dipping slapshot from 50 feet through a Scott Melanby screen to give the Flyers a 3-2 lead. Without a doubt the loudest the old Spectrum ever got.

1993 Flyers/Pens Regular Season - The game Mario returned from cancer treatments, and received a standing ovation in Philadelphia.

2000 Flyers/Devils Game 7 Eastern Conference Finals - Lindros last game, score tied at one, a very defensive battle throughout, each team with a power play goal. An Arnott shot deflects off bodies in front and goes directly to Patrick Elias with a wide-open net ... 2-1 Devils 2:32 remaining

2004 Flyers/Ottawa Regular Season - Brawl filled 3rd period. http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?20031001

2004 Flyers/Lightning Game 6 Eastern Conference Finals - Tremendous game, back and forth all night. Fedotenko scres two in the 2nd period to give the Lightning the lead ... the 3rd perios is winding down and Primeau put the team on it's back again, scoring to tie the game with under two minutes remaining, and later assisting on Gagne's OT winner.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I saw Wayne Gretzky's number go into the rafters in Edmonton.. Ceremony and everything..

I also saw the last home Oilers game in what could be years..

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
I was at that game as well. Other memorable games I was at include:

1985 Flyers/Nordiques Game 6 Wales Conference Finals - Leading in games 3-2, and leading 1-0 the Nordiques get a two man advantage in the 2nd period, with a chance to tie and send the game back to Quebec for a game 7. Dave Poulin steals a pass and goes in alone and blows one over Mario Gosselin's shoulder ... that and Pelle Lindbergh's shutout propel the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals.

1987 Flyers/Oilers Game 6 Stanley Cup Finals - Trailing the series 3-2, and trailing in the game 2-1, the Flyers get what will likely be their last power play of the game with 7 minutes to play in the season Pelle Eklund hits a streaking Brian Propp who rips one over Fuhr's glove to tie the game. Less than 90 seconds later J.J Daigneault comes off the bench and blasts a dipping slapshot from 50 feet through a Scott Melanby screen to give the Flyers a 3-2 lead. Without a doubt the loudest the old Spectrum ever got.

Off the topic for a moment -- two points of fact, John:

Right after Poulin scored that goal, while the PA announcenment was in process, Ron Sutter, with Miroslav Dvorak, led a 2-1 break, with the Flyers still down two men. Sutter shot, hit the post and the puck lay in the crease behind Goose Gosselin for a solid second before being cleared. That close to two shorthanded 5-on-3 goals in a matter of a few seconds.

Also, in Game 7 of the Flyers-Isles series in 1987, with Lindsay Carson off and the Flyers up 1-0, Poulin/Propp had a 2-on-0 breakaway, Propp scored off Hrudey. A 2-on-0 shorthanded breakaway is very rare but then moments later, same kill, Brad Marsh's slapper fooled Kelly Hrudey and just like that it was 3-0 thanks to 2 goals on the same kill.

NYIsles1*

Islanders winning the second cup vs Minnesota and the fourth cup vs Edmonton. The three goals in game four in about a minute were unreal as was Billy Smith getting the better of Gretzky and the Oilers...

The 1984 game at Msg where the Isles scored four third peiord goals facing elimination where Pat Flatley burried Barry Beck was amazing. Game five at the Coliseum where Morrow won it in ot was the best game I have ever seen live.

Other games:
The 1981 sweep at Msg in the semi-finals.
Bossy's 50 in 50.
Fifteen straight vs Colorado in the final minute.

Being in Toronto when LaFontaine scored three goals in one of his first games was special in an 11-5 win.

Pierre Turgeon's 50th goal in ot 92-93 in front of thousands of cheering Islander fans at Msg in 93.

Ogopogo*

Dec 29, 1984 Gretzky 3 g 3 a Edmonton 6 Detroit 3
Game 7 1989 Vancouver @ Calgary Calgary wins in OT
Oct 6, 2001 Edmonton Oilers retire Jari Kurri's number

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
Dec 29, 1984 Gretzky 3 g 3 a Edmonton 6 Detroit 3
Game 7 1989 Vancouver @ Calgary Calgary wins in OT
Oct 6, 2001 Edmonton Oilers retire Jari Kurri's number

Saw Lafleur take a pass from the right boards from Lemaire for a change (JL was jealous of Guy and never passed the puck when there was the option to shoot) and one time it - 5 hole ; goal 60 in 1978 v. Detroit. Bryan Hextall had opened the scoring on a shorthanded goal on the short side glove side on Dryden to open the scoring. Final 4-1 Habs. Seems like yesterday.

pitkanen>bouwmeester

Apr 6, 2005
Hershey, PA
www.xanga.com
Last year's playoffs I saw game 5 between the Devils and Flyers when the Flyers won the series.

Not much of a game of hockey importance, but it was a victory for Flyers fans because for so many years Brodeur owned the Flyers the whole year to the point when they played the Devils, I thought it was pretty much a guaranteed loss. But owning him for 5 games, yeah, that was sweet as a Flyers fan to see :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad