GDT: Whalers vs Bruins

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Happy Holidays from the Bruins board

:x)::xtree::xsign::xcheers:

I like how he ripped our attendance numbers being under 13,000 in comparison to the Whalers final year. Our attendance is back on the rise ever since Dundon took over and real marketing efforts took place. Canes currently are averaging 13.2K a game this season, which is over 13K.... While still not great, we’re getting that 13K+ like the Whalers did, it’s getting better, and to add we’ve missed the playoffs going on 10 seasons. If our attendance is still 13K after a playoff birth, then I’ll let the media rip our attendance.

Also I like how he cherry picked the attendance stats too. The Whalers averaged under 12K the 6 seasons before their last ever season.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I like how he ripped our attendance numbers being under 13,000 in comparison to the Whalers final year. Our attendance is back on the rise ever since Dundon took over and real marketing efforts took place. Canes currently are averaging 13.2K a game this season, which is over 13K.... While still not great, we’re getting that 13K+ like the Whalers did, it’s getting better, and to add we’ve missed the playoffs going on 10 seasons. If our attendance is still 13K after a playoff birth, then I’ll let the media rip our attendance.

Also I like how he cherry picked the attendance stats too. The Whalers averaged under 12K the 6 seasons before their last ever season.
Hold on. Are you implying that Jack Edwards is not being entirely truthful? My heavens!

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I kind of wonder if dundon is leaning towards a full rebrand at some point. It kind of seems like he doesn’t think the current brand has enough mass appeal and maybe doesn’t personally like some aspects of it (mainly doesn’t seem to be a fan of the white jerseys). And he seems to see the strength of the whaler brand

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Honestly, it's been 20 years. And Hartford had like 1 playoff series win ever in the NHL. Based on the reaction to this youd think that it was a successful original 6 franchise that moved to raleigh.

Also, we should have scratched Dougie Hamilton just because he wears the same number of a guy who played 3 years with the Whalers in the dang WHL. What a joke

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I kind of wonder if dundon is leaning towards a full rebrand at some point. It kind of seems like he doesn’t think the current brand has enough mass appeal and maybe doesn’t personally like some aspects of it (mainly doesn’t seem to be a fan of the white jerseys). And he seems to see the strength of the whaler brand

I hope not, because I think the red and black storm flag motif is very strong. but judging by the comments it always gets when people on the internet talk about jerseys who have never seen a storm flag or have any idea what they are, maybe he's right

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
This would be a big NOPE from me if this happened.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah but now he gets to sell two different sets of merc. Whalers stuff has bigger potential customer base if it harks only to a days long gone and not some current day sunbelt bubble crew.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
They won't throw away 21 years of brand equity.

Whalers Night likely becomes a yearly thing. Perhaps the green replaces the black as the alternate jersey at some point in the future. Brass Bonanza as the victory or even goal song will come before that.

I like it as a heritage jersey but I wouldn’t want it as a full time alternate. I like when teams try something new or different. I have the same issue with other teams like Washington, Calgary and Edmonton who refuse to try anything new. Arizona gets a pass because I believe they will eventually go to those full time. I think they were gauging the reaction.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Carolina Whalers makes no sense. Raleigh Whalers neither. Maybe Wilmington Whalers?! :sarcasm:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The way I see it: They're the Carolina Hurricanes wearing "throwback" jerseys that so many other teams have done.

Thus, they follow the protocol for the Carolina Hurricanes retired numbers, of which #19 is not one of them.

Exactly and #19's a number that's definitely had some circulation for the Hurricanes. I posted in the main board, but of course, it got fairly ignored. Hurricanes who've worn #19 before Hamilton:

Nelson Emerson
Jeff O'Neill
Rob DiMaio
Chris Dingman
Radim Vrbata
Trevor Letowski
Jiri Tlusty
Josh Jooris

IMO, this is about Edwards (and others in the Bruins orbit) with an axe to grind against Hamilton.

Beyond that, the whole argument of retired numbers being honored after the move is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" proposition. When the Coyotes retired a few ex-Jets numbers there was a huge outcry about how low class that was considering the players never played for Phoenix/Arizona (Hawerchuk, Hull, and Steen) and it was a sign that the Yotes had no real history of their own to hang their hat onto. I have no doubt that it'd be the same double standard in place here had Waddell applied for some sort of exemption for Hamilton to change his number to #91 for a night or something similar. Where was the outrage when Evander Kane and Andrew Copp wore Bobby Hull's #9 in Winnipeg? Or Paul Statsny and Zach Redmond wearing Steen's #25, again, in Winnipeg? Or Connor Hellebuyck wearing Dan Snyder's #37 in...wait, what city is that? Oh yeah, Winnipeg.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Exactly and #19's a number that's definitely had some circulation for the Hurricanes. I posted in the main board, but of course, it got fairly ignored. Hurricanes who've worn #19 before Hamilton:

Nelson Emerson
Jeff O'Neill
Rob DiMaio
Chris Dingman
Radim Vrbata
Trevor Letowski
Jiri Tlusty
Josh Jooris

IMO, this is about Edwards (and others in the Bruins orbit) with an axe to grind against Hamilton.

Beyond that, the whole argument of retired numbers being honored after the move is a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" proposition. When the Coyotes retired a few ex-Jets numbers there was a huge outcry about how low class that was considering the players never played for Phoenix/Arizona (Hawerchuk, Hull, and Steen) and it was a sign that the Yotes had no real history of their own to hang their hat onto. I have no doubt that it'd be the same double standard in place here had Waddell applied for some sort of exemption for Hamilton to change his number to #91 for a night or something similar. Where was the outrage when Evander Kane and Andrew Copp wore Bobby Hull's #9 in Winnipeg? Or Paul Statsny and Zach Redmond wearing Steen's #25, again, in Winnipeg? Or Connor Hellebuyck wearing Dan Snyder's #37 in...wait, what city is that? Oh yeah, Winnipeg.

I mean it would look shitty if Hellybuck was wearing 37 on Atlanta Thrashers night.

That would never happen though.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Why was this guys # even retired in the first place? Played 2.5 seasons for the whale in the wha as a 40+ year old. Only answer i could find was it was a pr gimmick to attract bruins fans to the new NHL team in conneticut.

Jack Edwards only cares cause the guy was a part of the early 70s bruins teams, which is how you get the ridiculousness of a bruins homer defending the hartford whalers.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Why was this guys # even retired in the first place? Played 2.5 seasons for the whale in the wha as a 40+ year old. Only answer i could find was it was a pr gimmick to attract bruins fans to the new NHL team in conneticut.

Jack Edwards only cares cause the guy was a part of the early 70s bruins teams, which is how you get the ridiculousness of a bruins homer defending the hartford whalers.

As I stated in the other thread, noted POS Howard Baldwin referred to it as an impulse decision because he liked the joy and spirit McKenzie played with.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Jack Edwards is just a boring little miserable troll. I can't even begin to care about what he has to say.

Everyone has had a cousin or uncle who is like that. That everyone just rolls their eyes at when they begin to speak.

giphy.gif

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Devils Flyers Senators are the bottom 3 teams in the east. Of course if that were expanded to bottom 4 guess who would be included? As awesome as that last game was I don't have a ton of faith they will close the gap between themselves and the pens/BJs. I guess it's possible they sneak into a wild card but I doubt it. Win 3 or 4 in a row though and things may look different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad