We've had no drama at all this year.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure I would call the goaltending problems "drama" if anything they demonstrated how little there was. Bernier never complained about going down, neither ever complains about how many starts they get , injuries and some shaky spells are problems but everyone has handled every bump like professionals.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
No offense but most persons in my aquantance have long given up on the leafs. I think I am the last one standing. The leafs used to be a much bigger deal than they are now.

Don't confuse apathy for approval.

I love the new direction so I'm hesitant to believe this. But I think you might be right. I think in any other year that "drugs crisis in the NHL" story would have gotten a lot more traction. Everyone has probably heard stories of at least one Leaf but the fans are acting a little more professional as well and don't seem to want to gossip as much. I like the culture we're building.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Both of our goalies have handled times here with utter professionalism.

I think all of us knew James Reimer is a character guy, who always battles. I think Bernier has also shown to be a character guy. His play with us has been wildly inconsistent, but koodos to him for going down to the Marlies and working his way back up.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I love the new direction so I'm hesitant to believe this. But I think you might be right. I think in any other year that "drugs crisis in the NHL" story would have gotten a lot more traction. Everyone has probably heard stories of at least one Leaf but the fans are acting a little more professional as well and don't seem to want to gossip as much. I like the culture we're building.

People will always gossip about stuff they care about for better or worse. If people aren't gossiping about the leafs it is because they don't care.

You can find two thousand y/o graffiti gossiping about gladiators in ancient Rome. None of this is new and people never "behave". I hope they never do.

The fact that people don't give a crap about the leafs is terrible for the brand. In my immediate family seven of them haven't watched the leafs in over a decade and none of the kids ever watched them to begin with.

It used to be leafs/Habs used to shut the country down. Now the few paying attention both fanbases are hoping for a loss. Sad days indeed

Mar 26, 2010
Yup, This team and organization has lots many many fans! No one cares anymore as we all know that Shanahan is driving this team into the gutter. It is a disgrace to the fans and city of Toronto.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yup, This team and organization has lots many many fans! No one cares anymore as we all know that Shanahan is driving this team into the gutter. It is a disgrace to the fans and city of Toronto.

What's the alternative to what the team is currently doing?

You can't wave a magic wand and get talent on a roster - you need to draft and develop it.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
It's cause we weren't BS'd this year. We're too used to hearing our GM's run around giving speeches about making the team competitive now, no real plan and being promised playoffs. We all knew what the expectations were this year and what the goal is. We have some really high end prospects and the teams finally rebuilding the right way. We have in my honest opinion the greatest management group in the NHL and the best coach in the nhl and we are seeing our team compete. They're not the most talented group but they play with structure and compete, even if we lose games we can respect the effort. A lot has changed, this team's gonna be a powerhouse in the near future.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
No drama?

Nylander in the minors, actually winning scoring race but still a Marlie?

Corrado not playing, Marincin playing?

How about nothing being done to improve the team, now, always promising tomorrow but it never comes?

How about Rielly not being used on the PP even when PP sucks?

What about TO really only bring up marginal or worse players to fill injury situations instead of our bright young hope?

There's loads of drama but the media seems content to give this regime a bye, it won't last, especially if TO actually gets worse next year.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
No drama?

How about nothing being done to improve the team, now, always promising tomorrow but it never comes?

What about TO really only bring up marginal or worse players to fill injury situations instead of our bright young hope?

There's loads of drama but the media seems content to give this regime a bye, it won't last, especially if TO actually gets worse next year.

You could add to this list the expected starter making 4 million a year sent DOWN to the AHL to get his game back.

I guess 'drama' is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, these things have happened WITHOUT drama - imo. There is a story in the media, a few questions in a presser, and then things carry on as usual.

OvenMittz*

No drama?

All of these aren't big deals.. Just regular hockey business.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is pretty good is year. There are moments, like Will Bernier going to get a Win? Sparks getting the debut shut out. The Twitter LIKE by Stamkos. The Carrado thing with Lou saying," it is an unfortunate......" Just not stupid stuff like Simmons article, and I think it had to do with the MGT providing a safe environment for the players.

I would say the media is letting the Leafs off easily but more like there just not too much to write about.
Everyone seems to be in shape and playing the way that everyone thinks is the right way to play. Almost all the games were closed games. The team is what they are, it is not a good team. As for guys like Willie, well, they are just not ready, great hair though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
People will always gossip about stuff they care about for better or worse. If people aren't gossiping about the leafs it is because they don't care.

You can find two thousand y/o graffiti gossiping about gladiators in ancient Rome. None of this is new and people never "behave". I hope they never do.

The fact that people don't give a crap about the leafs is terrible for the brand. In my immediate family seven of them haven't watched the leafs in over a decade and none of the kids ever watched them to begin with.

It used to be leafs/Habs used to shut the country down. Now the few paying attention both fanbases are hoping for a loss. Sad days indeed

The same can be said about the Jays over the past 23 yrs. All it took them were a couple of key signings to make noise and a team who played their hearts out. We might not see the buzz comes April like it was in August to Oct., but it should not be far off unless they start sucking big time.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
You could add to this list the expected starter making 4 million a year sent DOWN to the AHL to get his game back.

I guess 'drama' is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, these things have happened WITHOUT drama - imo. There is a story in the media, a few questions in a presser, and then things carry on as usual.

Last year these would have been considered drama, this year Shany and Babs are getting a bye.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
It's cause we weren't BS'd this year. We're too used to hearing our GM's run around giving speeches about making the team competitive now, no real plan and being promised playoffs. We all knew what the expectations were this year and what the goal is. We have some really high end prospects and the teams finally rebuilding the right way. We have in my honest opinion the greatest management group in the NHL and the best coach in the nhl and we are seeing our team compete. They're not the most talented group but they play with structure and compete, even if we lose games we can respect the effort. A lot has changed, this team's gonna be a powerhouse in the near future.

Here Here!

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
amazing what happens when your most talented player isn't undermining the coach and captain.....or doesn't happen i guess

Somehow, in this half-season, we've had many more on-ice stories than we had last year.

We have had a starting goalie with a newly-minted contract refuse to play because he didn't feel well enough to start despite having backed up the previous game.

Shortly thereafter, the same goalie was sent to the AHL.

Shortly after Bernier returned, Reimer went down with some mystery injury that had an undetermined date of return.

These things alone would have been media frenzies in previous years, they would have led to new "journalists" being hired in order to discover as many details as possible. Dave Feschuck would have rented Reimer's mom's neighbour's house in order to keep tabs on the status of the mystery illness.

The team currently sits in 3rd last place.
The team currently sits 7th last in goals per game with 0.01 goal more than Edmonton.
The team currently sits 10th last in goals against per game.
Most interestingly though, they are 7th best in shots for per game and yet allow more shots that they take where they rank as 4th worst.

There are plenty of storylines to follow on this team, both positive and negative.
I've had to admit that Gardiner looks much improved under Babcock, although I don't think he has enough smarts to be a top-notch defenseman.
James Reimer has the best save % in the league!
PaP has been far better than I expected.
Kadri has likely been more effective while being far less productive than people expected.
After a really nice run where the team could put up some offensive games, they now seem to not be able to score anymore.

The difference between this year and those previous when it comes to drama isn't solely on the team, because although the points of interest aren't the same, they aren't lacking, it's the media's coverage of the team that has drastically changed this year.

Babcock came in and essentially told every member of the media that they would play by his rules or they would be politely removed from the picture.
Lou came in and instituted a rule for media availability drastically reducing the interactions between the players and reporters. Hell, he even kicked every single member of the media off their charters.
Babs has stated many, many times that his first priority was to make the environment in the dressing room "safe". It has been.

When Jeff O'neil asked Babcock a question that he would a week later answer unprompted, he basically shot Jeff down completely.

Jeff asked if he (Babcock) feels like sometimes a leader or captain has to drop the gloves and stand up to players who are crossing the line, if for no other reason, to send a message of solidarity to his teammates.
Babcock's dismissive response to that led to some hilarity in the following days including Jeff's "...the coach of the Maple Leafs, I don't know his name...".
Less than a week later, Dion did exactly what O'neil was suggesting.
Babcock came out and supported the decision to fight.

It sends a message to the media that if they ask questions that Babcock doesn't like, even if they are fair, he has the authority, the power and the support to be derisive towards that media member. The guy was given an 8 year long, $50M baton and he's not afraid to wield it.

That right there is the real reason for the "lack of drama".

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Wait until deadline day.

If they are only able to move 1 or 2 guys for scraps, instead of this massive sell off many are expecting, there is going to be some major bi*ching going on.

Are people really expecting a mass sell-off?

Phaneuf is fixed, keep him.
Gardiner and Kadri and keepers.
Bozak is a keeper.
Komarov is a keeper.
Reimer is getting re-signed.

Winnik is a maybe, but not likely to fetch as much as last year on the open market, as he hasn't played as well. *EDIT: per reports from today 2016-01-25 Lamoriello exploring the market for Winnik.

We're going to move out Polak, Grabner, PA Parenteau, and that's about it.

There won't be buyers for Lupul this year, but he will be moved easily AFTER next year.

Might see Bernier moved. *EDIT: Per reports from today 2016-01-25, Bernier is being shopped!

There will not be interest in Boyes, Matthias, or Spaling.

Very small chance JVR is traded.

I mean, we already moved out Clarkson and Kessel. Those were two cornerstone guys of the previous regime and made up $13.75M of our cap!

People heard scorched earth and thought that meant 100% roster turnover, apparently.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think Bozak might get traded if the price is right.
Doubt anyone would want Grabner and Spaling.
Mathias might.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Are people really expecting a mass sell-off?

Phaneuf is fixed, keep him.
Gardiner and Kadri and keepers.
Bozak is a keeper.
Komarov is a keeper.
Reimer is getting re-signed.

Winnik is a maybe, but not likely to fetch as much as last year on the open market, as he hasn't played as well.

We're going to move out Polak, Grabner, PA Parenteau, and that's about it.

There won't be buyers for Lupul this year, but he will be moved easily AFTER next year.

Might see Bernier moved.

There will not be interest in Boyes, Matthias, or Spaling.

Very small chance JVR is traded.

I mean, we already moved out Clarkson and Kessel. Those were two cornerstone guys of the previous regime and made up $13.75M of our cap!

People heard scorched earth and thought that meant 100% roster turnover, apparently.

It's funny how you decided that so many guys on a basement dwelling team are keepers. All of them will be moved if the price is right. None of them are "keepers". All of them will be replaced over time by prospects and trades. None of those guys are going to be part of a playoff Leafs team.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Anyone in their late 20's-early 30's that is not named Dion Phaneuf is likely to get traded provided they actually play well(i.e I think we are just flat out stuck with Lupul until his contract is up)

Bozak has zero reason to stay here, he's on a decent contract producing like a 2nd line centre and could possibly get us a very late 1st!

the other guys are very expendable and should garner us some 3rd-7th picks here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think a lot of teams will be asking for Bozak, esp those pretenders who think they are one or two pieces away from being contenders.
The thing is if these teams want to sign an UFA to fill Bozak potential role on their team in the summer. That player will cost more than Bozak in terms of Term/Yr.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It's funny how you decided that so many guys on a basement dwelling team are keepers. All of them will be moved if the price is right. None of them are "keepers". All of them will be replaced over time by prospects and trades. None of those guys are going to be part of a playoff Leafs team.

Point is, they're not going to get offers where the value supersedes their net worth to the Leafs, and the management aren't wanting to move them at a loss, like they did Kessel and Clarkson.

If the Oilers offered McDavid for Phaneuf, Lou would personally fly him out of town, but that's not happening.

What I represented in my prior post was the mood coming from Leafs management about who they want to keep or move out.

In the case of Phaneuf, they're probably looking at the return for Coburn, plus a 1st Rd pick.

So that's a #3-#4 dman, 2x 1sts, and a 3rd.

Currently the market isn't making that offer.

Last edited:

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
No drama?

They specifically addressed this multiple times, they're trying to develop specific players and giving PP time to Rielly limits the ice-time he can be given in defensive roles, which management felt was an essential component to Rielly's game they wanted to address.

Sacrificing short-term PP production for the benefit of developing a solid 200 ft offensive d-man in a season where they didn't envision being competitive (don't confuse that with tanking though).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Anyone in their late 20's-early 30's that is not named Dion Phaneuf is likely to get traded provided they actually play well(i.e I think we are just flat out stuck with Lupul until his contract is up)

Bozak has zero reason to stay here, he's on a decent contract producing like a 2nd line centre and could possibly get us a very late 1st!

the other guys are very expendable and should garner us some 3rd-7th picks here.

Lupul's cash portion of his contract drops to $3.25M in the final year of his deal, which is 2017-18.

At that point, a team like FLA/WPG/NSH, etc. that plays on a budget regardless of cap limit will be calling to see what they can get him for.

At $3.25M Lupes is fairly priced. The cap hit doesn't matter to those teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad