Western Conference Playoff Battle

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
To be fair, I think it shows the strength and depth of the Western Conference

And the Flames are a lot different as well...

Brock said:
Calgary Flames (Flamettes)

Starting Goaltender: West: 1, HFNHL: 1
Top 9 Forward Scoring: West: 1, HFNHL: 2
Top 4 Defense Scoring: West: 6, HFNHL: 11
Total Scoring: West: 3, HFNHL: 6
Forward Defense: West: 10, HFNHL: 18
Defense Defense: West: 4, HFNHL: 5
Total Defense: West: 7, HFNHL: T-12
Forward Checking: West: 9, HFNHL: 17
Defense Checking: West: 11, HFNHL: 22
Total Checking: West: 10, HFNHL: 20

The Flames still have all the goaltending, scoring and defensive D. But have addressed the areas of weakness, both short term and long term, by adding forward defense and checking in Gaustad, Pyatt and Hunter in the top 9.

In other news the Flames have qualified for the playoffs, for only the third time in their history (though 3 out of the last 4 years), and managed to reach two important endorsement qualifications. They will have a home record over .500, attendance over 90% (and sneaking very close to the 95% marker for a 500K bonus), and have improved more than 20 points over last year (21 so far). With a couple of home playoff games ahead, the Flames should start next year with at least 13 million in the bank, the first time the Flames have had over 10 million since 2003.

Last edited:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Interesting to note the Western conference preview, with the top three predicted teams and division winners all fighting for the playoff lives right now, with at least two of them likely to be watching the post-season. I'm not sure which one is the biggest surprise.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=702327

LOL. I wasn't going to be the one that raised this but since you opened the door.
From the season preview about Detroit ... "The forward group is very one dimensional, soft and lacking defensive presence. The defense is just as soft. The days of fearing the time on the schedule when your team plays the Wings could be gone."

I don't think anyone fears the Wings but we only recently gave up the lead for the leagues best GAA and might get back on top yet ;) It can't even be claimed it's b/c of roster changes since we made almost none.

Seriously though I thought Brock was being very generous in even expecting the Wings to make the playoffs so his expectations for the Wings were already higher than my own. Shhh ... don't let the players know I said that ;)

Last edited:

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I put the sole blame for the Stars collapse and possibly not making playoffs as being my fault a few trades and my team just hit a brick wall 13game losing streak worst this year for any team

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
With tonight's action, the Ducks clinch the Pacific Division and one of the top two seeds in the west.

Quack.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Me too, although come playoffs, the Blues are basically scared of everybody.

Even their own arena security and fans.

Especially the fans.

I think you are in and as an underdog you may do some serious damage to top teams. If not, than we can always talk about trades in the offseason...maybe Thornton:yo:

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Well its offical for the Stars to make the playoffsthey need to win both games the preds lose both. or The blues lose all and i get alteast two points

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think you are in and as an underdog you may do some serious damage to top teams. If not, than we can always talk about trades in the offseason...maybe Thornton:yo:

Well, if the Blues do miss the playoffs, everybody will be up for grabs, so we can talk. Hell, I may just napalm the whole damn team. :rant:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

What a year to be a top seed in the West.

Your prize, either the 2008 Cup Champs, 2009 Cup Champs, or perennial President's Trophy winners who for once have no pressure in the playoffs.

:help:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Inexplicably, the Blue Jackets will finish the season as the third seed in the West, despite losing 4 games in a row (and 5 of 6, including two to division rival and challenger Detroit). With two games left to Columbus' one, the best Detroit can do is 101 points, which would tie the Jackets' current tally (assuming, as seems likely, Columbus loses its final game of the season, against SE doormat-turned-spoiler Atlanta). But the Jackets hold the tiebreaker in wins, so they will retain home ice advantage for the first round.

"I can't believe we're still in this position," said Jackets GM Doug Emerson. "The way we've played through this stretch, we should have been passed by at least one of the Wings or Blues, if not both. It seems whatever's been ailing us of late has had them struggling too.

"Except, of course, against us," he added ruefully.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Congrats on a very good season Doug. I really like the moves you've made in the trade market this year - some very shrewd moves have been rewarded.

Thanks Matthew, Dry - I was feeling pretty sanguine about them myself, until this disastrous run to close out the season. I should have added that it appears to be a mathematical certainty that I'll be the poor sucker facing Drew in the first round - again! - which means he'll have plenty of opportunity to build on his season series dominance. I'd better at least win *one* game for the extra home gate, since I'm giving up several draft spots in order to play the same damned opponent I'd be playing if Detroit won the division instead of me.

Bizarro. :shakehead

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
What a year to be a top seed in the West.

Your prize, either the 2008 Cup Champs, 2009 Cup Champs, or perennial President's Trophy winners who for once have no pressure in the playoffs.

:help:

I've shared that same thought, Sean. But hell, my scrappy boys have been bucking the odds all year. You'll have trouble finding many Ducks on the "Individual Leaders" board, but we've been around the top of all of the "Team Stats" categories all season long.

Don't stop believing... :)
Posted via Mobile Device

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
"I can't believe we're still in this position," said Jackets GM Doug Emerson. "The way we've played through this stretch, we should have been passed by at least one of the Wings or Blues, if not both.

You're not seriously feigning shock that you're leading after a small mini slump are you? The Wings and Blues are really struggling to round out the final quarter of the season with bigger long term struggles than a couple of games.

Win-Loss in the last 20 for the Central division playoff hopefulls:
Jackets 13-7
Preds 11-9
Wings 8-12
Blues 7-13

With the new sim hopefully not having the same quirky bias against top seeds and this struggling performance, the Wings are looking ripe for an early first round exit.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
You're not seriously feigning shock that you're leading after a small mini slump are you?

Considering you guys both looked to be nipping on my heels before I hit this "mini" slump, there's no feigning required. I guess I didn't realize just how badly you've both slipped. Guess I should start planning for my second-round matchup. Whoop!!!

With the new sim hopefully not having the same quirky bias against top seeds and this struggling performance, the Wings are looking ripe for an early first round exit.

I think it's showing more susceptibility to streaks than to upsets. But I'm on a really bad streak, especially against you... Fortunately the Jackets are awesome and will blind your goalie with their awesomitude and score a bunch of goals and win the series.

Heard it right here! ;)

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Here's a situation I never thought I'd find myself in...

With one game to go, and the conference title locked up, Ducks starting goaltender Pekka Rinne is feeling a bit wiped. However, the one remaining game is against the Blues, who are currently in the 9th position, with a game in hand on the Stars, who are in the 8th spot.

So, the question is, who will be the Ducks starting goaltender today - Vezina contender Rinne, or backup Yann Danis (who actually has really good numbers)?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Here's a situation I never thought I'd find myself in...

With one game to go, and the conference title locked up, Ducks starting goaltender Pekka Rinne is feeling a bit wiped. However, the one remaining game is against the Blues, who are currently in the 9th position, with a game in hand on the Stars, who are in the 8th spot.

So, the question is, who will be the Ducks starting goaltender today - Vezina contender Rinne, or backup Yann Danis (who actually has really good numbers)?
Posted via Mobile Device

It all depends on who you want to face on 1st round of playoff:D

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I think the Charlotte (NBA) coach said it best. I don't want to tarnish the playoff process" when he started his starters against the Bulls in the last game to settle the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad