Western Conference Playoff Battle

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
With 10 days of simulation remaining, here is a playoff report for the Western Conference.

Today's standings:

attachment.php

Despite the sim saying the Jackets have clinched, they actually need one more point before they clinch. The magic number for teams to control their own destiny and make the playoffs is 99. There are still 9 teams that can reach this number, but only 8 that can surpass it (those in the top 8 right now and the Avs).

ACTUAL PR:

Blue Jackets: 1 (to ensure no tie-breaker)
Sharks: 6
Flames: 7
Red Wings: 8
Preds: 12
Blues: 14
Stars: 19
Avalanche: 18
Oilers: 27

Battle for a playoff spot:

This one is looking more and more like a battle between the Predators, Blues, Stars and Avs, though it would only take a loss or two for the Sharks and Flames to be drawn back into it. The Wings, with more games in hand, look comfortable despite their 6th place in the table today.

The Stars are in the weakest position while the Blues are in the strongest with their games in hand, if they can stop the recent slump. Back to back losses to the Predators will mean a nervy end to their season. Could the Blackhawks campaign to end the Blues run of playoffs actually work?

The Oilers need more help than possible for them to qualify.

KEY UPCOMING MATCH-UPS

Game 1118 on GD 186: Jackets versus Wings for the division crown
Game 1122 on GD 187: Predators versus Sharks
Game 1126 on GD 187: Flames battle the Avalanche
Game 1130 on GD 188: Sharks against the Stars

Last edited:

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Could the Blackhawks campaign to end the Blues run of playoffs actually work?

geez, you're not instigating anything. That should be a 5 for fighting penalty.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Could the Blackhawks campaign to end the Blues run of playoffs actually work?

geez, you're not instigating anything. That should be a 5 for fighting penalty.

The Blues ship is sinking fast, and for the life of me, I'm not sure what the hell to do to prevent it. I've been tinbkering and cringing for a few weeks now, and it's becoming permanent.:help:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Nick I think you're playing possum ... after years of being eliminated by the 7th or 8th place teams you're going trying to turn the tables and be that team that upsets one of the division winners in the first round.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Nick I think you're playing possum ... after years of being eliminated by the 7th or 8th place teams you're going trying to turn the tables and be that team that upsets one of the division winners in the first round.

Well, let's hope it turns out that way, but whatever i'm doing, it is certainly not on purpose!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
April 15 Update

attachment.php

Teams that have actually qualified:

Ducks - 104
Canucks - 103
Blue Jackets - 101

Magic Number to guarantee the Top 8: 97

Actual PR (possible points - points possible max) *

Flames - 96 (8 - 104) PR = 1
Sharks - 95 (12 - 107) PR = 2
Red Wings - 93 (14 - 107) PR = 4
Predators - 89 (8 - 97) PR = 8
Stars - 88 (8 - 96) Needs Help
Blues - 87 (14 - 101) PR = 10
Avalanche - 84 (12 - 88) Needs Help
Oilers - 76 16 - 92 Needs lots of Help

*doesn't take into account possible head to head match-ups

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
you mean 101 pts that the Blues can get, right?

Nope. The Preds at 97 would be the 8th team.

Here are the team max points possible (not counting head to head battles)

1) Ducks - 122
2) Canucks - 111
3) Blue Jackets - 111
4) Red Wings 107
5) Sharks - 107
6) Flames - 104
7) Blues - 101
8) Predators - 97
===========
Stars - 96
Oilers - 92
Avalanche - 88

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
As Barbie tells us, "Math is hard!"

I too will stick to drinking beer. And hoping against hope that I'm not the division seed that the Blues take out in the first round! :tmi:

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
There are two huge match ups for the stars GD 198 vs blues GD 207 vs Predators both our last game could decide who make it or not out of stars preds

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Teams that have qualified:

Ducks - 105
Canucks - 104
Blue Jackets - 101
Sharks - 99

Magic Number to guarantee the Top 8: 97

Actual PR (possible points - points possible max)

Flames - 96 (8 - 104) PR = 1
Red Wings - 95 (10 - 105) PR = 2
Predators - 89 (8 - 97) PR = 8
Blues - 89 (10 - 99) PR = 8
Stars - 88 (8 - 96) Needs Help
Avalanche - 86 (10 - 96) Needs Help
Oilers - 78 (14 - 92) Needs lots of Help

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Predators - 91 - DET, DET, DAL
Stars - 90 - STL, FLA, NSH
Blues - 89 - DAL, VAN, ANA, WSH
Avalanche - 88 - TOR, EDM, EDM

Avs have 33 wins, other have 35. So NSH needs 3, DAL 4 and STL 5 points to eliminate COL.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
KEY UPCOMING MATCH-UPS

Game 1118 on GD 186: Jackets versus Wings for the division crown

Despite the damned Red Wings winning *both* of our last two meetings 3-2, they haven't been able to have sustained success against other teams, so it's now looking likely that Coulmbus will indeed take the Central Division title.

Ironically, that currently means that our first-round matchup would be - you guessed it! - the Detroit Red Wings.

AAAAAUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant::shakehead:help:

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
ouch > Predators - 91 - DET, DET, DAL

I doubt Tony's very concerned about facing me. The first 6 games between us are a split and have been tight. Case and point: we're tied at 13 goals each in those 6 games.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To say there is full-fledged panic in St. Louis would be an understatement. The team is in a complete death spiral and I have to say, i don't feel too optimistic at this point. The strange thing is, I didn't see how this was even a remote possibility a month ago, while leading the division and adding a few key upgrades while at or near the top. I knew the Wings and Jackets were right there with me with a few games in hand most of the year, but the collapse has been both sudden and complete.

Interesting to note the Western conference preview, with the top three predicted teams and division winners all fighting for the playoff lives right now, with at least two of them likely to be watching the post-season. I'm not sure which one is the biggest surprise.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=702327

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
To say there is full-fledged panic in St. Louis would be an understatement. The team is in a complete death spiral and I have to say, i don't feel too optimistic at this point. The strange thing is, I didn't see how this was even a remote possibility a month ago, while leading the division and adding a few key upgrades while at or near the top. I knew the Wings and Jackets were right there with me with a few games in hand most of the year, but the collapse has been both sudden and complete.

Interesting to note the Western conference preview, with the top three predicted teams and division winners all fighting for the playoff lives right now, with at least two of them likely to be watching the post-season. I'm not sure which one is the biggest surprise.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=702327

I would say Brock missed the target in his Western Conference predictions, kind of like how he predicted Plymouth to upset Windsor in the playoffs two weeks ago.

To be fair, I think it shows the strength and depth of the Western Conference, and also fails to capture the talent that has been acquired by the top 10 teams or so. The BJs for example don't look a lot like they did in October. My own forwards look fairly different with Antropov, Vermette and Backes on the wings instead of Erat, Stafford and Dawes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00